Started by Майор Хаткевич, June 09, 2016, 07:28:39 PM

JC004

You're stuck with us forever now.

Garibaldi

Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

NHQ-OS-126 Frank

Congratulations for accomplishing Level 3.

I have done all of my classes for Level 3 but missing the conferences which are very hard to attend as being overseas. I promoted to Capt. in 2011 already and accomplished CLC,  2 Senior ratings etc. ..... during the following 3 years but now I am stuck.......

If there is anyone who has an idea how I can get credit for a conference please let me know  (other than flying to the US, pay a ticket, hotel etc.)   Maybe modern technology is a way via webcam conference ??

I really hope to find a solution soon as I want to keep going in my professional development in CAP.

All the best from Europe.

Frank
Deputy commander
Aerospace Education Officer
NHQ-OS-126 Spangdahlem AB
Germany
www.facebook.com/capspangdahlem
LX1MG

Luis R. Ramos

Musings about language...

Why do people say "I promoted to..." when the people that do the action are their supposed superiors?

If you went up in grade, you did not "promote to" because you did not do the action, you only did the requirements! You did not sign the order, action, or whatever!! You did not pin on the grade sysmbol yourself, someone else did it on you!!!

The one that "promoted" in your case was your squadron commander, your group commander, your wing commander, your region commander, and Nat HQ. These headquarters accepted the step up. These headquarters were the ones that "promote." You "were promoted."
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: NHQ-OS-126 Frank on June 15, 2016, 02:00:12 PM

Congratulations for accomplishing Level 3.

I have done all of my classes for Level 3 but missing the conferences which are very hard to attend as being overseas. I promoted to Capt. in 2011 already and accomplished CLC,  2 Senior ratings etc. ..... during the following 3 years but now I am stuck.......

If there is anyone who has an idea how I can get credit for a conference please let me know  (other than flying to the US, pay a ticket, hotel etc.)   Maybe modern technology is a way via webcam conference ??

I really hope to find a solution soon as I want to keep going in my professional development in CAP.

All the best from Europe.

Frank

I know NHQ has different rules for overseas members, so perhaps reach out directly (via chain) to them, for clarification on that?

Sketch

Semi-related question: if you earned the Earhart award and advanced into SM as a 1st Lt, do you have to complete both Lvl 2 and 3 before being eligible for Captain?

Garibaldi

Quote from: Sketch on July 19, 2016, 09:50:25 PM
Semi-related question: if you earned the Earhart award and advanced into SM as a 1st Lt, do you have to complete both Lvl 2 and 3 before being eligible for Captain?

Yes. Even though you get the promotion automatically, you still have to complete some aspects of the PD program in order to progress. Even level 1.

Sketch

Quote from: Garibaldi on July 19, 2016, 11:33:59 PM

Yes. Even though you get the promotion automatically, you still have to complete some aspects of the PD program in order to progress. Even level 1.
While I appreciate the feedback, I know this is not correct because all former cadet officers are exempt from Level I so long as they transfer over within a certain timeframe (I believe 2 years). That doesn't mean you can't do it just for the sake of learning and exposure.

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Sketch on July 19, 2016, 11:47:12 PM
Quote from: Garibaldi on July 19, 2016, 11:33:59 PM

While I appreciate the feedback, I know this is not correct because all former cadet officers are exempt from Level I so long as they transfer over within a certain timeframe (I believe 2 years). That doesn't mean you can't do it just for the sake of learning and exposure.

Former cadink officers with less than a 2-year break in service when going to the dark side are exempt from the Foundations (Level I) course. While I was exempted from Level I and took SLS and CLC in my first run as a senior member (1985-88) I still had to retake them after rejoining from a 17-year break in membership in 2005.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Garibaldi

What I meant was even transitioning to SM at level 1, you still have to complete all aspects of 2 and 3.

Sketch

Can anyone else offer some insight? I cannot find anything specific on this in the regs. My assumption is you don't need both for Captain because it wouldn't make sense to give former cadets advance grade then make them wait twice as long with double the requirements for the next one.

arajca

Quote from: Sketch on July 25, 2016, 12:29:09 AM
Can anyone else offer some insight? I cannot find anything specific on this in the regs. My assumption is you don't need both for Captain because it wouldn't make sense to give former cadets advance grade then make them wait twice as long with double the requirements for the next one.

Reference CAPR 50-17, Chapter 9. para 9-1. a.
QuoteCredit  will  be  awarded  to  former  cadets  based  on  specific  accomplishments.  Those members  who  earned  the  Mitchell  Award  and  have  a  less  than  two-year  break  in  service  may receive credit for Level I completion. Members who earned the Earhart Award may receive the technician rating in the Cadet Programs Officer specialty track. Members who have earned the Eaker Award may be awarded completion of SLS, the CAP Officer Basic Course, and Level II. In addition to Level II completion, members who earned the Spaatz Award may be awarded the senior rating in the Cadet Programs Officer specialty track and the Yeager Award.

Reference CAPR 35-5, Section C, para 3-6.
Quote3-  6. Former  CAP  Cadets. Upon  reaching  age  21,  former  CAP  cadets  who  reached  certain levels  of  achievement  in  the  CAP  cadet  program  are  eligible  for  appointment  to  the  officer grades  outlined  in  figure 4.    (See  figure  8 for  grades  authorized  former  cadets  under  age  21). NOTE:  These members are exempt from the foundations portion of Level I of the Professional Development  Program  provided  they  have  less  than  a  2-year  membership  break  prior  to assuming active member status.  The CPPT and OPSEC portions must be completed prior to any promotion action.

The promotion does not earn the PD Level, except as indicated in CAPR 50-17. Therefore, a cadet with Earhart still needs to complete levels 2 and 3 before promoting to Capt. With an Eaker, they still need Level 3 before promoting to Capt. A Spaatz gets capt, but must complete levels 3 and 4 before making Major.

DakRadz

See above.

Yeah, actually, it does make sense.

Especially now, with the new promotion requirements. You may get the grade, but you are expected to have a certain level of training/knowledge each promotion, so you need to prove it just like everyone else once you want a "normal" promotion.

Speaking as a former cadet who has been going through exactly this for the last month.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Sketch

Quote from: DakRadz on July 25, 2016, 02:50:00 AM
See above.

I don't see how. If you demonstrated the necessary proficiency to earn advanced grade after being a cadet it seems counter-productive. I could see a slightly modified system for us but I understand why it is this way.

arajca

Quote from: Sketch on July 25, 2016, 06:24:57 AM
See above.

I don't see how. If you demonstrated the necessary proficiency to earn advanced grade after being a cadet it seems counter-productive. I could see a slightly modified system for us but I understand why it is this way.
The CAPR 50-17 was written before the changes to CAPR 35-5, when level 2 was not required for 1st Lt. It was not revised after the change to CAPR 35-5 to reflect the current promotion requirements. Both regs should be revised to reflect the current requirements for promotion, which would likely result in Earhart getting 2d Lt and Cadet Tech rating instead of 1st Lt. Eaker would get 1st Lt in addition, while Spaatz would get 1st Lt, CP Senior rating, and Yeager.

Alaric

Quote from: Sketch on July 25, 2016, 06:24:57 AM
See above.

It works the same way as advanced rank for professional skills works.  If you come in as a CPA and become a Wing or Region Finance  officer then after 6 months (and completion of level 1) you are eligible to be appointed 1st Lt.  If rank is not something you are concerned with, then you are done (which is the case with many pilots).  If you do want to be a Captain however, you will need to complete all the PD requirements that you need to make you eligible for promotion to Captain (Levels 2 and 3)

kwe1009

This is actually very simple if you don't try to over-think it.  No matter how you received your current grade you must meet all documented requirements for the next grade. 

Example: A Spaatz cadet is promoted to Capt when he/she becomes a Senior Member.  For that person to be eligible for promotion to Major they must have completed Level IV.  Since a requirement for Level IV is completion of all previous levels then that means the Capt must complete Level III since he/she was only awarded Level II.

Mathews

Quote from: kwe1009 on July 25, 2016, 05:07:04 PM
This is actually very simple if you don't try to over-think it.  No matter how you received your current grade you must meet all documented requirements for the next grade. 

Example: A Spaatz cadet is promoted to Capt when he/she becomes a Senior Member.  For that person to be eligible for promotion to Major they must have completed Level IV.  Since a requirement for Level IV is completion of all previous levels then that means the Capt must complete Level III since he/she was only awarded Level II.

I have a question about this.  I was appointed as a chaplain in the grade of captain last month.  My seminary education includes two doctoral degrees in ministry-related subjects (D.Min. and Ph.D.). 

CAPR 35-5 discusses appointments and promotions. On p. 16, section 5-3 (a) (3) it says: "Major. A clergyperson with an earned doctorate in a ministry-related field and 1 year time-in-grade as a captain."

Is my promotion to major after one year automatic because of my doctorate, or do I have to complete level IV first? I expect to complete level II in October.  My squadron commander is under the impression that the promotion is automatic after a year because it is part of the initial appointment, but admits not having reviewed chaplain appointment policies lately.

Thanks!

Chappie

Quote from: Mathews on July 26, 2016, 06:58:32 PM
Quote from: kwe1009 on July 25, 2016, 05:07:04 PM

I have a question about this.  I was appointed as a chaplain in the grade of captain last month.  My seminary education includes two doctoral degrees in ministry-related subjects (D.Min. and Ph.D.). 

CAPR 35-5 discusses appointments and promotions. On p. 16, section 5-3 (a) (3) it says: "Major. A clergyperson with an earned doctorate in a ministry-related field and 1 year time-in-grade as a captain."

Is my promotion to major after one year automatic because of my doctorate, or do I have to complete level IV first? I expect to complete level II in October.  My squadron commander is under the impression that the promotion is automatic after a year because it is part of the initial appointment, but admits not having reviewed chaplain appointment policies lately.

Thanks!

See PM
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

grunt82abn

Sean Riley, TSGT
US Army 1987 to 1994, WIARNG 1994 to 2008
DoD Firefighter Paramedic 2000 to Present