Main Menu

When to wear?

Started by Cool Mace, February 10, 2010, 02:36:16 AM

Cool Mace

Need some help guys!

I want to know if there is a reg saying you can NOT wear your uniform outside of CAP i.e. Wedding, party ect...

I haven't been able to find anything that goes along these lines.
CAP is what you make of it. If you don't put anything in to it, you won't get anything out of it.
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.
The cookies and donuts were a lie.

MIKE

Mike Johnston

Cool Mace

I didn't see anything that says you can't.

So would that make it ok then?
CAP is what you make of it. If you don't put anything in to it, you won't get anything out of it.
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.

Майор Хаткевич

You can wear it when it says you can. If it doesn't say it, then it's not allowed.

When all else fails, ask the commander.

SarDragon

OK, let's take a closer look. Do any of the activities you asked about fit any of these categories?

participating in or conducting the cadet program

flying in CAP aircraft (corporate and member-owned aircraft used in
CAP flight activity)

when engaged in normal duties as a CAP member or attending local,
wing/region, or national CAP functions

visiting military installations

If not, then wear is not permitted. The CAP uniform is intended to be worn only at CAP events, or while officially representing CAP.

It appears to me that you are trying to justify wearing the uniform, even when given guidance against doing so.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Cool Mace

Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.

Cool Mace

Does anyone know what would happen to a cadet that did wear the uniform outside of CAP?

2b, demotion, stepping down from a command postion?
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.

davidsinn

Quote from: Mason Huston on February 10, 2010, 03:29:01 AM
Does anyone know what would happen to a cadet that did wear the uniform outside of CAP?

Drawn and quartered.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Cool Mace

Quote from: davidsinn on February 10, 2010, 03:30:49 AM

Drawn and quartered.

You really think it should go that far?
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.

Eclipse

The first time its usually "Don't do that again."

"That Others May Zoom"

Cool Mace

Quote from: Eclipse on February 10, 2010, 03:41:03 AM

is there any reg agaisnt it?
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.

Cool Mace

Quote from: Mason Huston on February 10, 2010, 03:42:33 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on February 10, 2010, 03:41:03 AM

Sorry, is there a reg saying what to do if a cadet does do it?
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.

SarDragon

No specific reg, but it's certainly within the commander's powers to mete out some sort of punishment.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Cool Mace

Quote from: SarDragon on February 10, 2010, 03:49:24 AM
No specific reg, but it's certainly within the commander's powers to mete out some sort of punishment.

So they couldn't 2b someone or make them step down from a command position since there is not a reg giving what the punishment should be?
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.

cap235629

what exactly did you do?
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

Cool Mace

Quote from: cap235629 on February 10, 2010, 03:58:03 AM
what exactly did you do?

Wore it to a wedding, and a Sr. M. Is on my case about it and trying to get me in trouble.
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.

SarDragon

Quote from: Mason Huston on February 10, 2010, 03:53:23 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on February 10, 2010, 03:49:24 AM

So they couldn't 2b someone or make them step down from a command position since there is not a reg giving what the punishment should be?

That's not what I said. Depending on the severity of the offense, that punishment could be anything from, "Don't do that again", to a 2b. It's up to the commander to decide. It is likely that the former would be appropriate in your case, unless you did it after being told not to.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: Mason Huston on February 10, 2010, 04:01:08 AM
Quote from: cap235629 on February 10, 2010, 03:58:03 AM
what exactly did you do?

Wore it to a wedding, and a Sr. M. Is on my case about it and trying to get me in trouble.

Permission of your unit CC is required by regulation to wear the CAP uniform (in any flavor), outside of CAP activities.

With that said, its not the end of the world, and unless you were defaming CAP, the President, or drove through a
school bus full on nuns with a DUI on the way home, a 3000 PSI stare, along with a "Don't do it again", should be where it ends.

If you are a repeat offender, especially disparaging the uniform, that's a different dynamic.

Is this person hassling you in your command chain or in a position of influence?  Because if he's not I would respectfully tell him to mind his own business.  If he is, fall on your sword and move on.

No one in their right mind would remove a commander or effective staff officer for this alone, and there's no way a 2B for this would ever
survive the MARB.

"That Others May Zoom"

JoeTomasone

Quote from: Eclipse on February 10, 2010, 04:07:33 AM

Permission of your unit CC is required by regulation to wear the CAP uniform (in any flavor), outside of CAP activities.

Cite please.   Where does it say that the unit CC can authorize uniform wear when 39-1 does not itself permit it?

TACP

Quote from: JoeTomasone on February 10, 2010, 05:33:04 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on February 10, 2010, 04:07:33 AM

Cite please.   Where does it say that the unit CC can authorize uniform wear when 39-1 does not itself permit it?

Yeah, there is nowhere in 39-1 in which states unit CC can approve such wear. Reference all of 39-1 table 1.1 for approved wear of CAP and AF style uniforms. The only thing that would really save you is if the wedding was on a military base. Other than that it's not approved by the regs. Not like you'll get more than a lecture, as long as you didn't do anything else, but I wouldn't do it again.