Where can I get the old pin-on flight officer bars (late 80s)?

Started by DoubleSecret, May 17, 2016, 05:09:35 PM

DoubleSecret

Is there a source out there for them?  CAP shadow box wouldn't be complete without that godlike rank in there.  Thanks.

THRAWN

Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

THRAWN

AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

PHall

Doesn't the Navy and the Coast Guard still use the AF style Warrant Officer grade insignia?
SarDragon?

SarDragon

Quote from: PHall on May 18, 2016, 01:31:17 AM
Doesn't the Navy and the Coast Guard still use the AF style Warrant Officer grade insignia?
SarDragon?

Well, sorta. The physical form is slightly different, as is the enamel color. But, they don't look anything like the olde FO insignia. WO bars are segmented along the length; FO bars are segmented across the width.

WO
_____
| | | | |

vice

FO
_______
|=====|
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Cliff_Chambliss

A suggestion:  Pay a visit to the next gun show in your area.  Most of the gun shows I visit have several collectors/vendors of old (real and fake) military badges, ribbons, rank, etc.  (I found a set of Pan American Airways Pilot Wings from the late 1930's when my father flew for them).  There is a fairly large gun show this weekend.  I'll be flying for our aero club open house all day Saturday, but Sunday Afternoon my wife and I will be at the gun show and I'll check if there are any there.

Now, what am I looking for?  Something along the lines of the Army CW-5 Rank?  or the old 1960's CAP WO/FO of blue squares on silver bar?
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

MHC5096

The insignia in question are solid black/dark blue with thin silver lines centered vertically in the following configuation:

Flight Officer: 1 silver line
Technical Flight Officer: 2 silver lines
Senior Flight Officer: 3 silver lines
Mark H. Crary
Lt Col, CAP (1990-Present)
DDC-P, CGAUX (2011-Present)
MSgt, USAF (1995-2011)
QM2, USN (1989-1995)

DoubleSecret

Quote from: MHC5096 on May 18, 2016, 05:07:05 PM
The insignia in question are solid black/dark blue with thin silver lines centered vertically in the following configuation:

Exactly.  These were CAP-specific, I can't repurpose existing or old-school military warrant officer insignia. 

Thanks to all.

THRAWN

To answer your question, I might have a set of FO and TFO. If I can locate them without having to call Indiana Jones, they're yours...I'll PM you by tomorrow....
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

DoubleSecret

Quote from: THRAWN on May 18, 2016, 08:26:53 PM
To answer your question, I might have a set of FO and TFO. If I can locate them without having to call Indiana Jones, they're yours...I'll PM you by tomorrow....

Thanks so much.  Either way, I'll pay it forward.

Cliff_Chambliss

Quote from: MHC5096 on May 18, 2016, 05:07:05 PM

OK, Weather permitting I'll be flying all day Saturday but Sunday Afternoon we will be at the gun show and I'll keep my eyes open.
Question: 
If I see any how much do you want to spend?
3d Infantry Division

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: Cliff_Chambliss on May 18, 2016, 01:06:10 PM
A suggestion:  Pay a visit to the next gun show in your area.  Most of the gun shows I visit have several collectors/vendors of old (real and fake) military badges, ribbons, rank, etc.  (I found a set of Pan American Airways Pilot Wings from the late 1930's when my father flew for them).  There is a fairly large gun show this weekend.  I'll be flying for our aero club open house all day Saturday, but Sunday Afternoon my wife and I will be at the gun show and I'll check if there are any there.

Now, what am I looking for?  Something along the lines of the Army CW-5 Rank?  or the old 1960's CAP WO/FO of blue squares on silver bar?

Excuse the zoom-in pickiness, but WO was blue on gold. CWO was blue on silver. (I was a WO. Jeez, just typing that oldens me and makes my knees hurt).

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

DoubleSecret

Quote from: Cliff_Chambliss on May 19, 2016, 12:52:08 PM

OK, Weather permitting I'll be flying all day Saturday but Sunday Afternoon we will be at the gun show and I'll keep my eyes open.
Question: 
If I see any how much do you want to spend?

I tried to send you a PM to thank you, but it was blocked.  Thanks anyway :)

Cliff_Chambliss

Went to the gun show, should have known better.  The gun show was a bust being the same weekend as the Annual NRA Expo in Louisville, Ky., There was only one vendor of military insignia, pins, patches, etc., and although  I looked he did not have the items.
3d Infantry Division