When Did CAP Bookstore and CAP Mart exist?

Started by Public Affairs Guy, September 13, 2015, 04:02:20 PM

Public Affairs Guy

In preparation for our Wing's 75th anniversary next year I'm researching the heraldry of the South Dakota Wing patch of which there are two variants. Variant-1 appears to have come into existence in 1951. What isn't clear is when the design changed to Variant-2. Some very senior seniors say they think Variant-2 was being worn in the 1980s. My question is, what were the general dates of existence for the CAP Bookstore and for CAP Mart? Vanguard told me they took over the manufacturing contract from CAP Mart in 2006. Appreciate any information you guys may have.     
Bruce Kipp, MAJ, CAP

Capt Thompson

Not sure of exact dates, but when I started in '96 we had the Bookstore, and were still using it when I left in '01.
Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

Simplex

It was around in 1993 when I started, wish it still was. Oops did I type that 'out loud'.

JC004

CAPMart came to exist when the CAP Supply Depot closed in 2003.  They were supposed to more or less merge, but CAPMart never ended up selling much of the field equipment and such that the Supply Depot had.  The Supply Depot was awesome.  That's why it had to die.

SarDragon

They were breaking the rules concerning resale of surplus equipment. I don't recall the specifics.

The Bookstore was around when I joined in '64.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

The Supply Depot got closed because they were selling stuff at a profit that they got for free from DRMO.
They tried to claim it was shipping and stocking charges, but the Auditors from the Air Force didn't buy it.
They were darn lucky no one went to jail.

sarmed1

Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

Гугл переводчик

Former C/Maj., CAP
1st Lt., CAP
SrA, USAF                                           

SarDragon

Sorry, no sympathy there. My experiences with them were far worse than any I've had with Vanguard. The merch had wildly variable quality, usually lower than the Bookstore, and service flat sucked.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Гугл переводчик

Huh strange, Ive never had a bad experience with them. I guess I just got lucky.
Former C/Maj., CAP
1st Lt., CAP
SrA, USAF                                           

Майор Хаткевич

Just had a $450 VG order fulfilled. Got it QUICK, and ALL items (and there were MANY!) were correct.

Hock? I had to wait two months for nametapes and some uniform items, and most were subpar...