When you see X and you just wanna do Y

Started by NIN, May 03, 2013, 02:03:04 AM

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Майор Хаткевич

That looks like great lakes! And a sailor getting the knife hand. I'm going to call 800 division...

Flying Pig

How disappointing.  Someone either didnt plan ahead by ordering their rank prior too or was to impatient to wait.  At any rate..... knife hand is appropriate!!!

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Phil Hirons, Jr.

At first I thought the single one was gold! That would be funky.

I'd want more context before Y. Squadron forgot to order or VG was back ordered? Creative solution.

Cadet about to trade up to 1 diamond? Not so much.

Considering some of the real uniform blunders I'm sure we've all seen...

I think you would be hard pressed to tell the difference at 10 feet.

I would think 3 singles would be a better solutiuon.

Cliff_Chambliss

Wish I had taken a photo  More than a few years ago in Atlanta, Ga. I ran into a CAP member with CAP Observer Wings.....Oops, those weren't Observer Wings they were CAP Pilot Wings with a small washer glued on top to make them "observer".   
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Quote from: Cliff_Chambliss on May 03, 2013, 02:26:37 PM
Wish I had taken a photo  More than a few years ago in Atlanta, Ga. I ran into a CAP member with CAP Observer Wings.....Oops, those weren't Observer Wings they were CAP Pilot Wings with a small washer glued on top to make them "observer".

:P :P

For an optional to wear device...

At least the cadet in the picture was trying to <paraphrase>wear the achieved grade at all times</paraphrase>

vento

During a SLS a few years ago, I've seen a SM wear three ribbons. Two in a double rack and one in a single rack, side by side.

unmlobo

At an encampment when the DCC and other SM had their ribbons all mixed up and not in order.  One had military ribbons and those were still mixed up.  When I offered to help them fix it was told that a young "kid" doesn't know what he is talking about and this is how it's been since they joined in the late 80s early 90s.  So much for excellence in all we do. 
Major, CAP
HI WG

a2capt

Quote from: vento on May 03, 2013, 05:16:24 PMDuring a SLS a few years ago, I've seen a SM wear three ribbons. Two in a double rack and one in a single rack, side by side.
Especially sad when in a pinch, three ribbons can work on the two ribbon rack. As for the pips, imagine if it were level, with a piece of card stock under it, it'd be a lot harder to tell anything is "wrong".

Thrashed

If I saw X (I wouldn't see it), I would not care. I've wasted enough money in CAP.

Save the triangle thingy

Devil Doc

Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

Storm Chaser

I'm a stickler for wearing the uniform correctly, but I've seen worst than that. I agree that a cardboard underneath it would make it harder to notice. That would be my suggestion to this cadet until he can buy the proper rank insignia. Personally, I wouldn't get bent out of shape for that. Again, I've seen worst; unfortunately, much worst...

TJT__98

How did you get that picture?
Can't believe nobody asked yet.
C/MSgt
Wright Award 21322

RogueLeader

Quote from: TJT__98 on May 03, 2013, 07:20:17 PM

Which picture?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Eclipse

Quote from: Thrashed on May 03, 2013, 06:13:18 PM
If I saw X (I wouldn't see it), I would not care. I've wasted enough money in CAP.

?

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Quote from: TJT__98 on May 03, 2013, 07:20:17 PM

Looks like someone took it with a cell phone camera.

Why, is CAP not permitted to take close-up photos of goofy grade insignia lacking any other PII?
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

TJT__98

Sorry, let me rephrase that. Was the first picture (x) taken while a cadet was wearing that? If so did that cadet know what you were doing? I had just thought about how funny it would be to watch a cadet try to find out why you were holding a camera/cellphone up to his shoulder  :D.
C/MSgt
Wright Award 21322

Thrashed

Save the triangle thingy

lordmonar

Quote from: Thrashed on May 03, 2013, 09:41:06 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on May 03, 2013, 07:29:59 PM

?

??
The cadet used a 2d Lt and a 1st LT insignia to make a Capt insignia.

Like Thrashed.......I'm not going to get my pants in a wad over it........I would point it out to the cadet and expect him to correct it.....or not.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on May 03, 2013, 11:04:09 PM

?

??

Like Thrashed.......I'm not going to get my pants in a wad over it........I would point it out to the cadet and expect him to correct it.....or not.

Of course - how is that connected to what he's spent in CAP? 

And you'd allow that to remain on the uniform?

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on May 03, 2013, 11:43:17 PM

One time. "You can leave it on for today/tonight, but I don't expect to see it again, ever."
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Thrashed

Quote from: Eclipse on May 03, 2013, 11:43:17 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on May 03, 2013, 11:04:09 PM

?

??

Yes, some cadets are poor and there are about a million other more important things to do in CAP than be a uniform nazi. We have a cadet who's mom lost her job and father is dying of cancer. They have no money. Are you going to get in his face about the type of insignia in the photo? I'd commend him for being creative.

As for the money I've spent for myself and many, many others. I'm tired of it. All I do is Come And Pay.

I never gave the above cadet a hard time about their uniform, but I did pay for his encampment. Which is more inline with the cadet program objectives and core values?

Save the triangle thingy

Eclipse

Quote from: Thrashed on May 04, 2013, 02:21:14 AM
Yes, some cadets are poor and there are about a million other more important things to do in CAP than be a uniform nazi. We have a cadet who's mom lost her job and father is dying of cancer. They have no money. Are you going to get in his face about the type of insignia in the photo? I'd commend him for being creative.

As for the money I've spent for myself and many, many others. I'm tired of it. All I do is Come And Pay.

I never gave the above cadet a hard time about their uniform, but I did pay for his encampment. Which is more inline with the cadet program objectives and core values?

An argument assuming facts not in evidence.

A bad uniform is a bad uniform, "why", again, is irrelevant.  Correct in private?  Of course? But correction isn't optional for anyone interested in fostering the correct message.

I fail to see how your paying for "other" is relevent to this specific situation.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on May 03, 2013, 11:43:17 PMOf course - how is that connected to what he's spent in CAP? 

Depending on the circumstances....sure....why not?

Three pips is Capt.
Sure we have a three connected pips.....but where in the regulations does it say the pips must be connected?

The whole pips and diamonds thing was supposed to make it cheaper and easier to promote cadets....so....where is the real harm?

If it looked like butt.....I would help the cadet to fix it.....but if in a pinch that is all he had.....I'd go with it.

Private Investigator

Every Squadron is different. One Squadron I was in had a drawer filled with goodies. You get bigger goodie, smaller goodie goes back to the drawer. Same with ribbon racks, etc, etc.

Another Squadron told the Cadets if you want a promtion you better buy the insignia in advance. Little harsh for 12 year olds.

Every Squadron has strong and weak points of course YMMV   8)

Майор Хаткевич

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Private Investigator on May 05, 2013, 04:43:59 PM
Every Squadron is different. One Squadron I was in had a drawer filled with goodies. You get bigger goodie, smaller goodie goes back to the drawer. Same with ribbon racks, etc, etc.

This is how it should be, IMHO.  All the units that I've ever been a part of, I introduced a program where we'd order all the cadet's uniform accessories that they'd need to finish the uniform (BDUs & Blues).  This would be $50 in addition to the initial membership fee and we'd order it the same day that we took their application.  The next week, they'd have their nametags, patches, etc.  Once we had 10-15 extra sets of CAP cutouts in the doohickey sorter, we'd order C/Amn+ chevrons, etc, with the $5 or so that we allocated in their initial $50.  When they got promoted, we'd exchange what was on their collar for the new stripes so they didn't ever have to "buy" a set for their promotions.  If they broke them, or wanted an extra set, they got charged for them.

Ribbons, etc., would be bought from the proceeds of our snack fund. 

QuoteAnother Squadron told the Cadets if you want a promtion you better buy the insignia in advance. Little harsh for 12 year olds.

Every Squadron has strong and weak points of course YMMV   8)

Because nothing says, "We're proud of you" than making you buy the award we're giving you.  I just think it's in poor taste to charge someone for an award they've earned.  Ya' know?
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Eclipse

Quote from: jimmydeanno on May 05, 2013, 05:40:18 PMBecause nothing says, "We're proud of you" than making you buy the award we're giving you.  I just think it's in poor taste to charge someone for an award they've earned.  Ya' know?

Which CAP are you in?

I don't disagree, but that's not how CAP works, or the BSA, or pretty much any similar organization.  Even in the military you might get one for the ceremony,
but everything else requires a trip to MCSS.

I like the units that have trade-in / trade-up stashes, and at least one CC in my olde AOR orders a "year-one" kit for the cadets (at the cadet's cost) that includes
nametapes, grade insignia, nameplate, etc.

"That Others May Zoom"

bflynn

Quote from: Eclipse on May 05, 2013, 06:08:48 PMEven in the military you might get one for the ceremony

No might in my case.  Always got the first one, including rank promotion.  Maybe just good luck with the commands I was with.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: bflynn on May 05, 2013, 06:46:13 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on May 05, 2013, 06:08:48 PMEven in the military you might get one for the ceremony

No might in my case.  Always got the first one, including rank promotion.  Maybe just good luck with the commands I was with.

In 17 years in the Air Force, I've never gotten any; I've always had to buy my awards and rank insignias. I'm sure some units may provide the first one, but that's not across the Air Force.

When I worked with the Cub Scouts, we also had to buy all the badges and insignias.

lordmonar

Quote from: Storm Chaser on May 05, 2013, 07:01:25 PM
Quote from: bflynn on May 05, 2013, 06:46:13 PM

In 17 years in the Air Force, I've never gotten any; I've always had to buy my awards and rank insignias. I'm sure some units may provide the first one, but that's not across the Air Force.

When I worked with the Cub Scouts, we also had to buy all the badges and insignias.

O or E?
If you were an E you could have......could have....gone to your orderly room and gotten one set (that is enough for your blue line uniform bag) of rank insignia.  Same story with your awards....you could have gone to the orderly room and they would give you ONE ribbon.

OTOH.....if you bought it yourself (which I did) it is all tax deductible.....which it is in CAP as well.

When I ran a Cub Pack and Scout Troop....the troop paid for award badges and merit badges.....but that was a significant price difference that in CAP.
MY current squadron makes sure that the cadet get promoted on time......even if they can't afford to pay for their rank....and we do a trade in...and credit program on rank.

Having said all that.....I would not be all knife hand on a cadet who adapted and over came an "insignia malfunction".

Storm Chaser

Quote from: lordmonar on May 05, 2013, 07:37:19 PM
Quote from: Storm Chaser on May 05, 2013, 07:01:25 PM

O or E?

Both.

NIN

Quote from: lordmonar on May 04, 2013, 03:36:03 AM
If it looked like butt.....I would help the cadet to fix it.....but if in a pinch that is all he had.....I'd go with it.

If it was my squadron, either a) I'd be saying to the supply officer "Don't we have pips in the supply box? Why aren't there correct C/Capt?"; and b) if it was funding issue (ie. the cadet can't afford it), I'd buy the pips out of my pocket.

Cuz, you know, "Commander Always Pays" :)

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on May 05, 2013, 07:37:19 PM...the troop paid for award badges and merit badges....

And I like that, but where does that money come from?

Dues and fund raising - both things that are kryptonite to many members, especially seniors.

"That Others May Zoom"

Nuke52

Quote from: Eclipse on May 05, 2013, 06:08:48 PM
Quote from: jimmydeanno on May 05, 2013, 05:40:18 PMBecause nothing says, "We're proud of you" than making you buy the award we're giving you.  I just think it's in poor taste to charge someone for an award they've earned.  Ya' know?

Which CAP are you in??

= sprayed Coke!  Bwaah-ha-ha-ha!  :clap:  That actually made me guffaw out loud.  (Redundant, I know.)

Quote from: Eclipse
I like the units that have trade-in / trade-up stashes, and at least one CC in my olde AOR orders a "year-one" kit for the cadets (at the cadet's cost) that includes nametapes, grade insignia, nameplate, etc.

Speaking of your olde AOR, I'm planning to be back out that way in mid-August.  If the timing of the visit works out and you're in town, I'd like to meet up for a round of adult beverages--Pilot Pete's at 06C sound good?  I believe you also owe me some surf and turf--or was it turfed surf?  In any case, I'll send a PM when August gets closer... 
Lt Col
Wilson Awd

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Private Investigator

Quote from: NIN on May 05, 2013, 08:15:50 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on May 04, 2013, 03:36:03 AM

If it was my squadron, either a) I'd be saying to the supply officer "Don't we have pips in the supply box? Why aren't there correct C/Capt?"; and b) if it was funding issue (ie. the cadet can't afford it), I'd buy the pips out of my pocket.

Cuz, you know, "Commander Always Pays" :)

Even "Commander Emeritus Pays Too" ?? My current Squadron had a Cadet that received a Com Com last year and I noted the Cadet was not wearing it. So I asked and they got the certificate but no ribbon. Next meeting I brought one in. Then I noted the Squadron Commander never wears ribbons so I asked and he is at least the third Squadron Commander who does not believe in awards that I know of. 

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on May 05, 2013, 09:20:50 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on May 05, 2013, 07:37:19 PM...the troop paid for award badges and merit badges....

And I like that, but where does that money come from?

Dues and fund raising - both things that are kryptonite to many members, especially seniors.
Not in my squadron.

Treadhead

Knifehand.  This is a cadet officer who must set the example.  Now the knifehand must be tempered with fatherly wisdom, as this is meant as a training tool to teach this particular cadet officer how not to comport himself while in a leadership capacity....

...lest not this young cadet captain become the hapless and clueless Army Captain who reported to his Officer Advanced Course wearing two 1LT bars side by side in a rather comical attempt to represent himself as an O3.  I heard of this schlemiel through fellow 2nd Lt's in my Officer Basic Course, so far the sad tale had circulated through the entire school.

He received more than just a knifehand.  He would have done better had he been properly knifehand-Ed as a ROTC cadet.

If this was the result of lack of money/supply, it's forgivable.   If it was the result of fungus-headedness, knifehanding is warranted.
Walter F. Lott
1st Lt (CAP) ret
LTC, USAR (ret)
Lt Col, California State Military Reserve
Former member of Mather Cadet Sq. 14 and McClellan Cadet Sq. 12

Blues Brother

I think we should switch to star fleet uniforms.   same uniform for dress and work.  and just small dots on the collar for rank. 

problem solved.

ColonelJack

Quote from: Blues Brother on May 18, 2013, 10:20:45 PM
I think we should switch to star fleet uniforms.   same uniform for dress and work.  and just small dots on the collar for rank. 

problem solved.

Not quite ... which Starfleet uniforms?  Original series, with stripes on the sleeve?  The original-cast movies (now those were some sharp-looking uniforms!)?  Or, as you seem to prefer, the Next Generation?

See?  There's always something....

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Garibaldi

Quote from: ColonelJack on May 19, 2013, 10:43:45 AM
Quote from: Blues Brother on May 18, 2013, 10:20:45 PM

problem solved.

Not quite ... which Starfleet uniforms?  Original series, with stripes on the sleeve?  The original-cast movies (now those were some sharp-looking uniforms!)?  Or, as you seem to prefer, the Next Generation?

See?  There's always something....

Jack

TNG rank was easier to follow. TOS movie ranks were practically non-existent. Black dot for ensign, silver dot for LT jg. Two silver for LT, 2 silver 1 black for LCDR, 3 silver for CMDR, 4 silver for captain. Gee, wait...this sounds kinda familiar...
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Tim Medeiros

Personally I'd prefer the Season 4+ DS9 uniforms, just saying.

The issue with the uniforms from movies 2-6 (and the first few minutes of 7) is figuring out who wears what color shirt/strap.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

LGM30GMCC

No more confusing than who wears what color at their collar and wrists...

I like the ST: II-VI (Piece of 7 and Yesterday's Enterprise) movie though we'd clearly need to change the color. (Though I'm sure he who has since been gone would love the red). And it'd need a hat.  ;D