Florida Wing gets "outstanding" in SAREVAL

Started by BuckeyeDEJ, May 19, 2009, 03:45:36 AM

BuckeyeDEJ

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

CFI_Ed

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on May 19, 2009, 03:45:36 AM
News release: http://flwg.sercap.us/news/presentation-5-17-09.asp

The wing got an "outstanding," which comes as no surprise.
Congratulations to FL Wing - I know this took lots, and lots of hard work.
Ed Angala, Lt Col, CAP
Oklahoma Wing/DO

Larry Mangum

What is even more astonishing is that this is the wing's 5th "Outstanding" in a row. That has to be some kind of record.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

Gunner C

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
That'll be hard to top - they seem to be setting the standard.

Stonewall

Did cadets actively participate on ground teams?  Or were they primarily used for base support?

An email was sent to me stating that if cadets wanted to participate they would be used as "gophers" and for traffic.  If that's the case, maybe there's a lesson to be learned.
Serving since 1987.

JoeTomasone

I saw cadets as FLM and mission support staff.   There were others there that came and went -- so they may have been on a ground team.

One of the evaluators said in the debrief that it was the first Outstanding he's ever given -- which really was the icing on the cake.   

BuckeyeDEJ

I don't know anyone who was invited to participate, so I don't have much of an inside scoop. Someone want to talk about turnout, etc.?

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

BrandonKea

Is there a published AAR so we can all see what it takes to be Outstanding?
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

maverik

I am more concerned with what the cadets purpose for it was I am not being disrespectful but I would shoot for  cadet ground teams than an oustanding. But I may be wrong
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Ferdinand Foch at the Battle of the Marne

DC

Quote from: SARADDICT on May 21, 2009, 02:18:08 AM
I am more concerned with what the cadets purpose for it was I am not being disrespectful but I would shoot for  cadet ground teams than an oustanding. But I may be wrong
I have found FLWG to be funny about cadets participating in Ground Team ops. UDF, FLM, mission base staff, even aircrew (if over 18), sure, but there seems to be some kind of 'thing' about FLWG cadets fully participating on Ground Teams.

RiverAux

Quote from: BrandonKea on May 21, 2009, 12:30:19 AM
Is there a published AAR so we can all see what it takes to be Outstanding?
They usually mark SAREVAL and CI results as super secret squirrel stuff and they rarely get seen outside Wing staff. 

JoeTomasone

I received a copy of the evaluation report, but:

1.  I am unsure as to whether or not it is OK to post publicly.

2.  It doesn't offer much of a roadmap for others to follow.

I was happy to note that my section (IT) got an Outstanding.  :D

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: JoeTomasone on May 19, 2009, 06:44:18 PM
I saw cadets as FLM and mission support staff.   There were others there that came and went -- so they may have been on a ground team.

One of the evaluators said in the debrief that it was the first Outstanding he's ever given -- which really was the icing on the cake.

I briefed all the ground teams, and no, there were no cadets on any GT.  There were only a handful there, and they were busy assisting the Staging Area Manager and the Flight Line Supervisor.   
Another former CAP officer

Ranger75

While I add my congratulations to those in FLWG whose training and efforts resulted in the attainment of the "outstanding" rating, I regret that our organization fails to capitalize on such criticism .  Our organization lacks a process to learn from it own succeses and failures.  As has been stated in a number of other posts, we lack the capacity to subject ourselves to self-criticism and, therefore, to identify our weaknesses and possible corrective actions through the conduct of rigorous AARs.  Equally so, we lack the means to share best practices and widely disseminate improved TTPs across the organization.  My own experience is that those organizations that do so effectively rightfully are viewed as "professionals." 

heliodoc

There is a  number of us out here that agree with you Ranger75

It is an organization that needs and deserves a swift kick in its fourth point of contact

REAL professional organizations do it and it is about time CAP does its own or LEARN how to do it.....it's as easy as creating online tests for everything

It great everyone yaps about uniforms and safety.....GREAT  now the real work will begin when CAP owns up to its own AAR's OR failure to do them

ammotrucker

Quote from: JoeTomasone on May 21, 2009, 02:17:21 PM

I thought that you were going to be in Comms during the event.  SEMPER GUMBY
RG Little, Capt

JoeTomasone

Quote from: ammotrucker on May 21, 2009, 11:59:45 PM
Quote from: JoeTomasone on May 21, 2009, 02:17:21 PM

I thought that you were going to be in Comms during the event.  SEMPER GUMBY

I would have been happy there too..   They got an O as well..   So either way I'm happy. :D

ammotrucker

you next week at RECON training and the State Hurricane exercise
RG Little, Capt

BuckeyeDEJ

After a little bit of thought: This is the first wing in CAP I've ever been in where SAREVAL participation is by-invitation-only. Are there any other wings that do that?

Gunner C

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on May 23, 2009, 04:44:04 AM
After a little bit of thought: This is the first wing in CAP I've ever been in where SAREVAL participation is by-invitation-only. Are there any other wings that do that?
That part of it seems a bit scripted.  Keep out the riff-raff and make sure you look your best?  Hmmm.