Shelter Operations ES Qualification

Started by RiverAux, February 22, 2009, 07:43:14 PM

Should CAP have an ES Qualification and SQTR for "shelter operations"?

Yes, but we should just require applicable Red Cross courses.
3 (18.8%)
Yes, but CAP should develop our own training program based on other successful models.
0 (0%)
Yes, we should have a CAP training model but also allow Red Cross courses to substitute for the CAP tasks when applicable.
7 (43.8%)
No.  No CAP ES Qualification is necessary.
6 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

RiverAux

Background
One of the things that CAP is sometimes asked to do following disasters is to help other agencies operate emergency shelters.  This is not specifically mentioned as a mission in 60-3, but seems to be routine enough that perhaps it should be.  Sidebar -- Personally, I have long said that CAP desperately needs a real disaster response doctrine that would include this.

And although 60-3 doesn't mention it, the Red Cross shelter operations course is mentioned as one of the qualifying courses for the disaster relief ribbon. 

Justification
1.  As a basic rule of thumb, we should have a training program for any type of operational mission that we perform. 

2.  Having a formal training program will bring this sort of mission to the attention of people who might not have thought about it before.

3.  As more people become aware that this is something that CAP is actually interested in doing, more CAP members will take the training. 

4.  Having more people trained in this specialty, will make it more feasible for CAP units to work with the appropriate local agencies to make them aware that we would like to help in these situations.  The increased level of local awareness and cooperation will therefore lead to more requests for CAP to assist in this sort of mission.

5.  Having CAP work with the local agencies overseeing shelter operations will also increase our visibility to other agencies and individuals who deal with our more traditional SAR role and perhaps lead to more requests for the use of CAP in that role as well.

How to do it?
I don't believe that we need an incredibly complex or long SQTR for this.  While the obvious solution would be to require that the person take the Red Cross shelter ops course and have a few CAP-specific tasks  added on, but I really am not a big fan of this since Red Cross course availability varies widely.  Most small town units are not going to have a Red CRoss chapter nearby and making them travel to take this course just doesn't make sense.

Instead, I would recommend that we use the Red Cross Mass Care and Shelter  Operations courses as a jumping off point for developing our own course.  I wouldn't be adverse to letting the Red Cross courses substitute for most tasks so that those squadrons with RC chapters nearby can take advantage of that option (if they are willing to pay for it). 

The only pre-requisite would be GES. 

Some will say that this is not an appropriate use of CAP given that it falls outside our core competencies.  I would argue that during a disaster, there will be plenty of other CAP members available to take aerial photographs or whatever real SAR is associated with the event, but that most CAP members will still be sitting at home with no assigned mission.  This would be something for them to do.

Major Carrales

The Disaster Relief Ribbon has, if I remmeber correctly, a requirement to take a shelter management course.

I think the idea of service is key here.  In times of disaster recovery sometimes there are personnel shortages.  I could imagine CAP Officers and Cadets as an augmenting force, however, we must give priorities to our assigned mission.

Imagine if we had a shelter that needed staffing and three CAP officers and a few cadets join in on that because CAP is already tasked and there is no resources for them to participate.  Then they are committed to the shelter and cannot in good grace disengage when there are CAP resources.

Still, I can see it as possible.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

ThorntonOL

This would be definately a possible idea as there will be some members who aren't cabable or willing to go on ground operations and/or air operations and don't want to really hang around base doing nothing but waiting.
Former 1st Lt. Oliver L. Thornton
NY-292
Broome Tioga Composite Squadron

RiverAux

Given that our "traditional" missions are aviation oriented, we're really talking about two mostly separate groups of people.  

Now, one squadron may not be able handle running a shelter and a normal ground team mission at the same time, but thats the good thing about having statewide and national programs -- we can always bring in other folks if we get in a bind.  

wingnut55

Than they should join the Red Cross or Salvation Army. We should stay off of other volunteer agencies turf, that's a good way for CAP to loose public credibility. CAP can barely provide enough air crews for 350 aircraft.

if you look at MOUs with the RED Cross they are the providers along with the Salvation Army

CAP is not that type of organization. maybe we should ask;

How many CAP members have enough food water and supplies to get them through a major incident?

if not CAP fails to provide mission readiness to the American People.

We have lot's of things to do during a mission

Major Carrales

Quote from: wingnut55 on February 22, 2009, 08:29:12 PM
Than they should join the Red Cross or Salvation Army. We should stay off of other volunteer agencies turf, that's a good way for CAP to loose public credibility. CAP can barely provide enough air crews for 350 aircraft.

if you look at MOUs with the RED Cross they are the providers along with the Salvation Army

CAP is not that type of organization. maybe we should ask;

How many CAP members have enough food water and supplies to get them through a major incident?

if not CAP fails to provide mission readiness to the American People.

We have lot's of things to do during a mission

Don't be so quick to dismiss possible mission taskings.  The future of such organizations such as ours is interoperability.

Suppose some organization calls the NOC for a shelter tasking.  What would happen if they should say..."Sorry no, we stay off of other volunteer agencies turf."  I would imagine that they would take the mission.

Would we have the personnel?  Can't say that I know.  I can see a few people scoffing at the idea.  Others would jump at the chance. 

Commander
SWR-TX-454

RiverAux

This is not a possible mission tasking, but one that does happen on a regular basis and has for quite a long time.   

For many years CAP had a MOU with the Red Cross specifically saying that one of the ways we would assist them would be to provide manpower for shelter management.  That MOU was allowed to expire since traditionally we supported the Red Cross through local agencies anyway, so the current standard request to NOC was sufficient.  

In no way am I suggesting that CAP take a leadership role in running shelters, but that we instead help whatever agency is running them.  And this is not always a volunteer agency task either.  The National Guard routinely operates emergency shelters. 

Major Carrales

Quote from: RiverAux on February 22, 2009, 08:39:40 PM
This is not a possible mission tasking, but one that does happen on a regular basis and has for quite a long time.   

For many years CAP had a MOU with the Red Cross specifically saying that one of the ways we would assist them would be to provide manpower for shelter management.  That MOU was allowed to expire since traditionally we supported the Red Cross through local agencies anyway, so the current standard request to NOC was sufficient.  

In no way am I suggesting that CAP take a leadership role in running shelters, but that we instead help whatever agency is running them.  And this is not always a volunteer agency task either.  The National Guard routinely operates emergency shelters. 

Are you talking about USAF Assigned Missions or Corporate Missions.  Shelter Management would likely never be a USAF Tasking, but should it be a request from a State or Federal Government via a Corporate Mission tasking...what then?

Commander
SWR-TX-454

RiverAux

It can be done as both depending on the type of disaster.  If it is a presidential disaster it very well could be done as a AFAM mission. 

Major Carrales

Quote from: RiverAux on February 22, 2009, 08:43:25 PM
It can be done as both. 

I still think, not so much the former as the latter.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

davedove

In no way am I suggesting that CAP take a leadership role in running shelters, but that we instead help whatever agency is running them. 

Since we would not be running the shelters, it makes sense to me that instead of developing our own training, we should use the training already developed by the agency running the shelter.  In most cases, this will be the Red Cross, so we should use their training.

I'll grant that it may be difficult to get their training, for whatever reason, but I think that would be most appropriate.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

tarheel gumby

Quote from: davedove on February 23, 2009, 12:53:12 PM
In no way am I suggesting that CAP take a leadership role in running shelters, but that we instead help whatever agency is running them. 

Since we would not be running the shelters, it makes sense to me that instead of developing our own training, we should use the training already developed by the agency running the shelter.  In most cases, this will be the Red Cross, so we should use their training.

I'll grant that it may be difficult to get their training, for whatever reason, but I think that would be most appropriate.
I wholeheartedly agree we won't be in the lead in this type of operation, as to getting the training for ARC Disaster Operations it is easy to get but may cost a few coins though. I am a first aide and safety instructor and  have been asked to take the disaster operations training several times. I think that it would be a good way to make ourselves more flexible and capable in the over emergency services mission. Just my humble opinion though.
Joseph Myers Maj. CAP
Squadron Historian MER NC 019
Historian MER NC 001
Historian MER 001

chiles

A few comments on this. CAP's territory is Emergency Services which certainly can involve assisting in shelter operations. Just because a hurricane comes roaring through doesn't mean they'll be a great need for flight ops and ground team response. For example, Hurricane Isabel, which hit Baltimore in 2003, had a shelter response but the damage was limited to flooding in the Inner Harbor and Sparrow's Point. There was little need for any ground team operations, as there was no surge in SAR or missing person searches, and air damage assessment need was limited. However, there were a great deal of displaced people due to power outtages and local damage to homes. CAP could have been used to assist in shelter operations.

Also, the Red Cross is often written into plans as the key institute for shelter operations. I have worked on capability assessments for various State and local agencies (my day job) that found that though the plans and the operating procedures stated the Red Cross would handle sheltering, the Red Cross in that area constituted a single person (and in one case that person had died of natural causes two weeks before we did the assessment). There are plenty of areas where CAP can help with shelter operations. Even if we are force multiplying a single person who is "in charge".

My squadron meets at a Community Center where we are given dedicated space so long as we agree to assist the Red Cross with shelter operations. We use the Red Cross as our source of training. However, it would be rather nice to have an SQTR that helps get our people properly trained in how CAP functions as a secondary entity of the Red Cross and not just Red Cross material.

I don't think this is an encroachment of anyone else's turf. We can help. Wings and squadrons can sit down with their Red Cross representatives and Emergency Management agencies and see where our services can be best used and what the priorities would be in the circumstances by which we'd be called upon for shelter operations.
Maj Christopher Hiles, MS, RN BSN, CAP
Commander
Ft McHenry Composite Squadron
Health Services Officer
Maryland Wing
Mitchell: 43417
Wilson: 2878

Eclipse

Quote from: wingnut55 on February 22, 2009, 08:29:12 PM
Than they should join the Red Cross or Salvation Army. We should stay off of other volunteer agencies turf, that's a good way for CAP to loose public credibility.

As a point of fact, we are increasingly being requested to assist in shelter ops in my parts, and we did it recently in KY, giving out close to 30,000 meals, a similar amount of water and kerosene.

Hands are hands, which are generally what is needed during these situations.

I also agree it needn't be complicated - GES and the ARC shelter course.

"That Others May Zoom"

jimmydeanno

My squadron, over the last year or so, has invited Red Cross instructors to teach both the Shelter Operations course and the Shelter Management course.

All in all, we've had 30 people trained in both.  The local Red Cross chapter is aware of all of our qualified individuals and is able to call on us if needed. 

The Red Cross does a great job with logistical support, locale and setup/breakdown of shelters.  However, I really don't see a need for an SQTR/Qualification. 

What would you add that is CAP specific?

You mention using another course to develop our own home spun version.  The only problem with that is that the Red Cross isn't going to let you help man their shelters unless you've completed their course.

I think a better approach is a partnership with the local RC chapters.  They already have everything in place, courses, instructors, etc.  The courses are really good and at the end you're actually able to help in an RC shelter if needed.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Short Field

SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

chiles

What can we teach our people that the Red Cross can't? The application of CAP regulations during our response. What procedures should our people follow if there is an incident or accident involving CAP members at a shelter? What can they and can't they help with? If I'm a nurse acting in a CAP role to support the Red Cross and they ask me to take medical entrance information (basic questions they ask about the health of all people entering the shelter) can I? If not, why? How does a ARC request for mission support get command approval and at what level of command? If asked, can members trained in shelter management run the shelter and hold a position of authority over ARC members or do they have to be in only support roles? Should CAP be keeping records about the actions separate from ARC records? What should CAP members do if they disagree with actions taken by ARC management staff? Do they report the problem to the supervisor of the ARC member, to CAP leadership, or both? How are CAP's support to the ARC represented in the larger county or state response?

ARC will teach us how to do the things they need us to do as their support. We need to teach our people how they fit in as CAP members. These things shouldn't be taught in a vacuum. Our relationship with the ARC will need to include their understanding our capabilities at the National and local levels. So, they'll need to be involved in the CAP-specific training as well. Even if it is in the form of a briefing to their leadership.
Commander
Health Services Officer
Maryland Wing

brasda91

Quote from: davedove on February 23, 2009, 12:53:12 PM

Shouldn't be hard at all.  I've done it.  I met with the director, told her what I wanted to get out of our two organizations working together.  I have several members that are volunteers with the RC.  They have taken the Shelter classes.  The whole purpose of attending their classes is so that we augment their people with our people, but still know how they want the Shelter Ops to work.  They even participated in an exercise with the RC, and as CAP members at that.  You have to have the desire to expand your squadrons possible missions.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

lordmonar

This should be a no brainer.

Get with the red cross and either steal their shelter management training or make it a requirement for the SQRT.

I whole heatedly think that this and other DR training should be part of what CAP does.

I don't care about "territories" or "spheres of influence".

We have a pool of manpower that can be used by agencies....let's get the training so we can actually bring something to the fight.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

wuzafuzz

Bring it on!  If we (CAP) aren't doing something else, why not be able to help? 

I suspect organizations like Red Cross and Salvation Army would prefer CAP members to someone off the street, since we are already (usually) a team, and we have passed at least a limited background check.   A Salvation Army mobile kitchen manager told me as much when CAP was detailed to help Salvation Army unload trailers and distribute food after a tornado.

The question might arise, what are the common things we might do in most disaster relief scenarios?  Train us for the common needs, concerns, and dangers.  Things like how to lift heavy items, don't drink flood water, etc.  Kind of like a "mini-CERT" SQTR.  We don't need to be Disaster Terminators, but covering the basics will make us more valuable when we are asked to help Red Cross, Salvation Army, or similar organizations. 

My squadron has over 100 members.  Even if CAP is flying, we aren't all in the air at once, or even supporting flights.  We can usually produce spare volunteers if asked. 
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

RiverAux

I think chiles hit many nails on their heads with his response regarding what CAP specific stuff we would want to get across to CAP shelter operators. Nothing all that complicated.  One other thing (which might be covered in the capr100) is regarding using the CAP comm system to pass non-CAP messages on behalf of those at shelters. 

I'll say again that I would be fine as having the ARC course as an alternate to meet many of the spedific non-CAP tasks we would incorporate.  But, we have to have a CAP alternate plan because there are not Red Cross chapters everyplace we have a CAP squadron.  In my state about 75% of squadrons don't have a chapter within an hour of them. 

Yes, the Red Cross would want CAP members at their shelters to have the ARC course, but I would hazard a guess that most shelters being operated in this country are not operated by the ARC, but rather by local agencies and unaffiliated groups such as churches.  If the CAP training is equivalent to the ARC training, I bet they'll be more than fine with it. 

RiverAux

A question for the 40% of you voting "No" in the poll:

1.  Are you voting no because you think this is an inappropriate mission for CAP

OR

2.  Are you voting no because you think CAP should only require the ARC class

OR

3.  Are you voting no because you don't think CAP should have any specific requirements for working at a shelter? 

Short Field

Why not just have your members join the Red Cross?  The downside is they can't wear their BDUs as a Red Cross Volunteer, but the upside is they will get all the training they need and it is a lot cheaper than belonging to CAP.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

tarheel gumby

Quote from: RiverAux on February 23, 2009, 09:18:33 PM
A question for the 40% of you voting "No" in the poll:

1.  Are you voting no because you think this is an inappropriate mission for CAP

OR

2.  Are you voting no because you think CAP should only require the ARC class

OR

3.  Are you voting no because you don't think CAP should have any specific requirements for working at a shelter? 

1. No I do not think that this mission is inappropriate for the CAP
2. The CAP should not go and re-invent the wheel. The ARC training is more than adaquate for the task.
3. The CAP requirements should be completion of the ARC training
Joseph Myers Maj. CAP
Squadron Historian MER NC 019
Historian MER NC 001
Historian MER 001

chiles

Quote from: Short Field on February 23, 2009, 09:54:34 PM
Why not just have your members join the Red Cross?  The downside is they can't wear their BDUs as a Red Cross Volunteer, but the upside is they will get all the training they need and it is a lot cheaper than belonging to CAP.

I can speak for myself. I'm not interested in doing anything for the Red Cross "full time". I work with cadets and am training in various specialties in ES in CAP. I don't see why I should have to go join another organization to assist in an operation that falls under Disaster Relief. Just because someone wants to help that mission doesn't mean they want to join the organization.

1. No I do not think that this mission is inappropriate for the CAP
2. The CAP should not go and re-invent the wheel. The ARC training is more than adaquate for the task.
3. The CAP requirements should be completion of the ARC training

Learning how to put together cots and hand out food is only half the battle. We have to teach our people what will be expected of them as CAP members as well as have them learn from the Red Cross. All of this information can be covered in F and P's or in a brief course. But it needs to be gone over.
Commander
Health Services Officer
Maryland Wing

RADIOMAN015

I don't think this should be a primary mission of CAP.  CAP does not have enough radio equipment at this time to support these types of point to point radio communications.  It is likely that our comm equipment would be needed for support DR recon missions.   The amateur radio ARES program is primarily the means of supporting shelter operations and works very well in most communities.

The American Red Cross is primarily response for this mission.  In areas that lack ARC coverage, communities should be planning shelter operations by using their respective Community Emergency Response Teams (CERT).
https://www.citizencorps.gov/cert/   CAP members could consider joining there local community CERT.

This is not to say that CAP could not assist in some ways (e.g. possible set up & just some basic duties, but not the shelter management aspect), BUT this shouldn't be one of our primary missions.   Somehow though I see again as potential mission creep.

RM

RiverAux

Never proposed it be a PRIMARY mission and it isn't mission creep if it is already something we've been doing for a very long time. 

Remember what our actual emergency services mission is:
QuoteTo provide an organization of private citizens with adequate facilities to assist in meeting local and national emergencies.
We have a pretty broad mandate from Congress in what we do in this area. 

lordmonar

I don't think anyone is suggesting that it be a primary mission....but one we should have a SQRT for and do some joint work with the ARC/Local Emegerncy Response orgnaisation.

In a disaster it is good that our planes and comm system is there ready to assits...but what about all those non-flyer/non-comm types who are sitting around as the flood waters rise and the community is looking for a place to stay?

Granted there may not be a local ARC chapter everywhere...but I am sure that there is a state wide disaster plan....and I am sure that they are looking for people to help out.

chiles

Quote from: RiverAux on February 23, 2009, 11:45:03 PM
Never proposed it be a PRIMARY mission and it isn't mission creep if it is already something we've been doing for a very long time. 

Remember what our actual emergency services mission is:
QuoteTo provide an organization of private citizens with adequate facilities to assist in meeting local and national emergencies.
We have a pretty broad mandate from Congress in what we do in this area. 

See, that's what I'm talking about. Until this thread I had never heard anyone even take a second glance at this particular topic as a subset of the Disaster Relief part of our ES mission. Perhaps being the primary is a scope creep, but assisting a primary agency, Red Cross or some other agency, is certainly not. And there are places out there who do not have a CERT or an ARC chapter. Actually, some areas have a CERT that isn't trained for shelter management, either.
Commander
Health Services Officer
Maryland Wing

Major Carrales

American Red Cross Chapters sometimes tend to be very undermanned, the addition of CAP Ground Personnel, for any number of reasons ranging from general runners, sign in/paperwork (which we already do due to NIMS training) and even distributing water and items would be most welcomed.

As I understand it, we have just adopted NIMS, I assume then that working with the RED CROSS for Shelter management would be an outstanding example of all this interagency work people want.  Sure, its not the CIA or some other "cool" agency, but it is one where we would be welcomed with open arms...and, futhermore, needed.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

jimmydeanno

Quote1.  Are you voting no because you think this is an inappropriate mission for CAP?

No, I don't think that it is an inappropriate mission for CAP to get [more] involved in.  In fact I wish that CAP was more involved in disaster relief and assistance missions.  I think that there are more of these types of missions than most people think AND the organizational exposure is greater as what you do helping the local communities is direct and hands on.  People don't see the plane flying looking for an ELT nobody can hear.

Quote2.  Are you voting no because you think CAP should only require the ARC class?

I honestly don't think that CAP needs to reinvent the wheel with the training.  I've done the ARC Shelter Operations course, Shelter Management and Psychological First Aid training and think that it is more than sufficient to run a shelter.

Working with the ARC, they would be the lead agency and if doing this through CAP, the (CAP) IC for the incident is going to be the one who needs the understanding of how our two organizations relate and what paperwork needs to be filled out, etc.  The Wing CC is the one who signs the MOU, etc. 

The people working the shelter don't need the extraneous bureaucratic junk to be thrown in there.  Working with the ARC, they know what they're doing and they're very good at it.  They aren't going to put a volunteer in a spot that they shouldn't be.  Even when it comes to filling out paperwork, if you're assigned as a shelter manager, they'll send a paid ARC employee to help with the paperwork and logistical support - you just tell them what you need.

Quote3.  Are you voting no because you don't think CAP should have any specific requirements for working at a shelter? 

As I said before, ARC is very good at what they do.  They have preexisting logistical support, agreements, etc for anything that you would need to run a shelter.  Even if it isn't an ARC shelter they can offer support.

CAP doesn't need to create their own training or add onto it.  The exent I can see of an SQTR is checking off the ARC classes and having it show up on your 101 card.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

heliodoc

After reading all these posts..

CAP can and needs to get involved and know their place in the operational environment of a disaster.

More than likely the EM has an MOU within the community and who is the primary player.  There is a definite mission creep in these operations.  To tell us EM types there isn't, is pretty silly.

For the most part, CAP should just take the training that is already in place and if ANYTHING changes, it may as well be reflected in an SQTR.  If ARC requires every 3 yrs updates like some of the SQTR reqs, then that is how it gets done

CAP needs to understand there are other lead agencies for this and we become support to those agencies and how we fit into THEIR programs.  As seen here before, CAP has a hard time keeping up with its own changes especially in its own program, that we best be careful on how we are percieved as the ones running the show.  CAP will continue to be support and to "make its own program" when there are others around who have done better and for a longer period of time, that is how we ought to look at it.

CAP can not continue to try to be everything..... unless dilution is the solution

davidsinn

Here's what I would put on the SQTR:

I'd break it out like flightline where you have the do'ers and the supervisors

Everyone would have
Basic first aid
IS 100,700
BCUT maybe?
Perhaps a .PPT requirement addressing anything from our stand point.

I'd add IS200,800 for managers as well as ACUT maybe a prereq of LSC I'm not too familiar with it.

I don't know if I would have everyone take the ARC course or just the managers I don't know what's involved in it but I do know that reinventing the wheel is stupid.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

chiles

Quote from: heliodoc on February 24, 2009, 01:51:05 PM
After reading all these posts..

CAP can and needs to get involved and know their place in the operational environment of a disaster.

More than likely the EM has an MOU within the community and who is the primary player.  There is a definite mission creep in these operations.  To tell us EM types there isn't, is pretty silly.

For the most part, CAP should just take the training that is already in place and if ANYTHING changes, it may as well be reflected in an SQTR.  If ARC requires every 3 yrs updates like some of the SQTR reqs, then that is how it gets done

CAP needs to understand there are other lead agencies for this and we become support to those agencies and how we fit into THEIR programs.  As seen here before, CAP has a hard time keeping up with its own changes especially in its own program, that we best be careful on how we are percieved as the ones running the show.  CAP will continue to be support and to "make its own program" when there are others around who have done better and for a longer period of time, that is how we ought to look at it.

CAP can not continue to try to be everything..... unless dilution is the solution

It's not dilution. It's part of our Disaster Relief mission. I am a professional emergency manager. I was on the Nationwide Plan Review team post Katrina. I can tell you that the Red Cross is, by and large, the expert on shelter management. I can also tell you that the Red Cross could use a lot of help. Their capability across the United States is not comprehensive. Some places have a lot of membership, others have nothing but a line note in a plan that nobody has read in years. I'm not saying we rewrite their way of doing things. I think that we should write an SQTR that includes all of their training and, as part of the F and P's, instruct our new members on things they need to know about the scope of activities they may participate in as a CAP member providing support to the ARC. Include the basic tasks (e.g. Keeping a Log) and unique tasks (e.g. demonstrate an understanding of the ARC shelter command system). The ARC courses become the "advanced training" and the standard two exercises/events to finish out the rating. Pre-reqs include GES. No muss, no fuss, no scope creep. We are in a support role but we at least know our people know not only the technical systems and procedures in running a shelter, but what their roles are limited to and how CAP's systems effect their actions when working under the ARC.
Commander
Health Services Officer
Maryland Wing

jimmydeanno

Quote from: davidsinn on February 24, 2009, 02:35:00 PM
I don't know if I would have everyone take the ARC course or just the managers I don't know what's involved in it but I do know that reinventing the wheel is stupid.

There are 2 ARC courses. 

Shelter Operations and Shelter Management.  The first is for the everyday shelter staffer, the person doing intake, passing out food, preparing food, etc.  Teh second is for people to become qualified to open, close and manage an ARC shelter.

Even then, I'm not sure as though I'd required 1st aid/cpr, etc.  More than likely some sort of medical personnel is going to be available. 

Shelter operators do things like:
Making people feel comfortable
Listening to peoples needs and concerns
Finding out if people need medication (not administering it, but if they prescriptions, making sure they can get it if they don't have it)
Cleaning public areas
Keeping the information boards up to date
cooking meals
distributing supplies
conducting activities for those at the shelter
etc.

The shelter manager:
Opens and closes the shelter
Works with the ARC to get needed supplies
Works with local authorities to get updated information
Manages the staff
Ensures basic shelter needs are met
Fills out ARC paperwork
etc

Emergency plans usually have emergency personnel that are located at the shelters for medical aid, or are readily available,etc.

One course that might be beneficial is Psychological First Aid, which helps you identify psychological attributes in disaster victims, get information from varying types of people (children, older people, etc) to find out what their real concerns and worries are, and talk/comfort those experiencing these incidents.

heliodoc

No argument form me, Chris

Like everything else in this forum, we all do not know each other real life occupations..

Granted,  we have a  DR mission and we folks that know technical systems, etc

As an EM type, me also, one would thought that CAP was on the cutting edge with all this "stuff"

But as this forum proves, we lag behind in the simplest things in community involvement because we have the attitude that CAP can do it all because of our 3  primary missions.  Our ES is pretty good but it does truly lack the real bite it needs.  Community involvement, in uniform or not, is what we need and have to practice.  But again this all involves more time, and in that regard, is more mission creep.  I wholely agree on working with ARC and others....

And while CAP has proven, that itself, could not get its basic stuff together on the simple reqs of meeting a deadline for NIMS (100, 200,700, and 800) because "how does this stuff really pertain to us?" attitude and "too much guv running us" I see it as those who really see this as part of DR mission, may take it seriously, but as I see it , reading this forum, 39-1 nazis and bling dings would rather address those issues rather than Shelter Management

heliodoc

The things jimmydeanno just put up are "somewhat similar" to the checkoff sytem in a taskbokk that wildland fire uses.  Good system but to get things signed off in a disaster could take a while.

I think making an SQTR might fit the bill but what jimmydeanno put up looks like the box check off system

I would support a task book like that and have folks who are interested get the creds from ARC and have it in their CAP files...

Persons already trained by agencies in this field, and signed off, ought to be put on a EM list and a Wing list so the Wing Kings know who has taken the course and then in turn EM's when they need folks, can get a tasking order from respective agencies, CAP, AFRCC, etc

CAP ought to recognize the Shelter Management course already and move with it to avoid duplication

chiles

Quote from: heliodoc on February 24, 2009, 03:18:55 PM
The things jimmydeanno just put up are "somewhat similar" to the checkoff sytem in a taskbokk that wildland fire uses.  Good system but to get things signed off in a disaster could take a while.

I think making an SQTR might fit the bill but what jimmydeanno put up looks like the box check off system

I would support a task book like that and have folks who are interested get the creds from ARC and have it in their CAP files...

Persons already trained by agencies in this field, and signed off, ought to be put on a EM list and a Wing list so the Wing Kings know who has taken the course and then in turn EM's when they need folks, can get a tasking order from respective agencies, CAP, AFRCC, etc

CAP ought to recognize the Shelter Management course already and move with it to avoid duplication

In places where the Red Cross have a large presence, they are often doing small exercises on a schedule to coincide with training new personnel. We can easily send some of our people to not only participate in the exercise (for our people looking to get the two exercises/events knocked out) or participate in the execution of the exercise (to get more experience in conducting and executing an exercise and building bridges with the ARC). Smaller exercises can be completely internal to CAP. Spend a half day running relatives through the process of signing into and out of a shelter (the most technically laborious part) and the other half day either doing F and P's or a BCUT class, etc. Ask the ARC or Salvation Army or local EMA if we can borrow a cot or two and show people how to put them together. Doesn't need to be a big exercise, but familiarization skills can be easily accomplished (and save people a lot of crushed fingers with those cots...)
Commander
Health Services Officer
Maryland Wing

jimmydeanno

I was just outlining what the ARC has each of those positions do and it each of the ARC corresponding courses cover those items.  Each is a day long.

So I guess if I were to create a CAP SQTR for Shelter Operations it would be

PREREQs
General Emergency Services
IS-100
IS-700

ADVANCED TRAINING
ARC Shelter Operations Course
ARC Shelter Management Course
ARC Psychological First Aid Course

Done

heliodoc

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That is perfect

Succinct and to the point

How about it, you lurkers from NHQ??

heliodoc

chiles

you too, perfect

Now,  it has to be laid upon the CAP 'leadership" at the Wing and Natl level......

chiles

Probably too close to the next Board meeting, but I'd be happy to put it together and run it up MDWG's flagpole.
Commander
Health Services Officer
Maryland Wing

lordmonar

Quote from: jimmydeanno on February 24, 2009, 03:30:00 PM

I was just outlining what the ARC has each of those positions do and it each of the ARC corresponding courses cover those items.  Each is a day long.

So I guess if I were to create a CAP SQTR for Shelter Operations it would be

PREREQs
General Emergency Services
IS-100
IS-700

ADVANCED TRAINING
ARC Shelter Operations Course
ARC Shelter Management Course
ARC Psychological First Aid Course

Done

Why not break those up into two specalties?

Not everyone needs to be a shelter mangager....just as not everyone needs to be a GTL.

So how about

Shelter Technician--GES+ICS 100+ARC Shelter Operationt
Shelter Manager--ST+ICS 700/800+ARC Shelter Management

chiles

I think that's reasonable. Obviously, we are assuming that the ARC has no problem with us being in charge of one of their shelters and CAP NHQ doesn't have a problem with our people being responsible for ARC personnel and materials.
Commander
Health Services Officer
Maryland Wing

jimmydeanno

^The ARC calls upon volunteer shelter managers who have taken their shelter management course to open, run and close the shelter.  If a CAP member has the ARC credentials to run an ARC shelter the ARC would use them.

During the ice storm we had in December 2008, I was called by the local ARC chapter and asked if I was available to help with shelter management and staffing (Since they keep a list of people who take their courses).  Basically, put on call.  The need didn't arise because they had plenty of help.

Many towns also run their own shelters which are operated by the local EMA, Fire Department, etc.  I'm sure that they'd be willing to accept our help.

So I think the better question is how to we get ourselves put in the local emergency action plans, etc.  I think that is where we are really hurting.

lordmonar

That's where you local squadron ES officer gets with wing/group ES and the local authorities to get an MOU in place.

It usaually only takes a phone call.

Just make sure that you got the CAP support befor you go promising support to local agencies.

chiles

Totally agree. We really need to do a better job advertising our services to local and state EMA's. I think the starting point would be having individual units (or groups) contact their local EMA's and Wings contact the State EMA's. Bring a quick executive summary on our capabilities and show how we are already helping them, especially if a large proportion of our members are cross trained to work in shelters. Good starting point and not a one shot deal. We'll have to follow up due to the intrinsic change in staffing at EMA's due to elections, promotions, retirements, burn out, etc.
Commander
Health Services Officer
Maryland Wing

RiverAux

Is the ARC still requiring a Mass Care course before you take the shelter course.

As I said before, we cannot just use the ARC courses since ARC coverage is weak in many, many places.  They can be an option to completing CAP specific shelter tasks, but cannot be the only method allowed.

If we require the ARC courses only CAP members in areas that already have a strong ARC presence will be able to get qualified in this specialty, and that is exactly the area where we would be needed the least.  CAP can be of most help in areas without ARC. 

And keep in mind that ARC is no more going to be the official lead as far as government disaster response in regards to shelter operations than CAP is likely to be.  They too are a non-governmental organization.  We would still be working at the request of local or state governments, so we don't need to be entirely centered around ARC needs and procedures.  They obviously know a lot about it, which is why I suggested adapting their training where feasible for our use. 

chiles

I'm completely down with stealing their training and making it our own. It's a common practice in emergency management:) I'd be happy to help but I'm not really sure, other than sending it up the chain, where we'd go from here. It's a good idea and I think well worth the time but I don't want to dedicate a large amount of my life (or anyone elses for that matter) to something that'll be largerly ignored. Where do we go from here?
Commander
Health Services Officer
Maryland Wing

lordmonar

Getting ARC training is just a matter of asking for it.

Even out in the back-beyond.  If you call the state office they can arrange to have a trainer come to you.  In fact if support is so sketchy they would be more then happy to train some on as an instructor.

arajca

Quote from: chiles on February 24, 2009, 10:12:55 PM
I'm completely down with stealing their training and making it our own. It's a common practice in emergency management:) I'd be happy to help but I'm not really sure, other than sending it up the chain, where we'd go from here. It's a good idea and I think well worth the time but I don't want to dedicate a large amount of my life (or anyone elses for that matter) to something that'll be largerly ignored. Where do we go from here?
Write up a good proposal and get with your wing Operations and Disaster Relief Directors/Officers. Once you have their buy in (preferably in writing), submit it to your wing commander. It'll take time, but if you just fire it off, it will fall flat. I don't think it'll take a large amount of time, though.

chiles

I didn't mean the proposal would take time. I meant converting all the ARC stuff into a standardized CAP program. I'll put the proposal together, though. Seems like a no brainer to me.
Commander
Health Services Officer
Maryland Wing

fireplug

Quote from: RiverAux on February 24, 2009, 09:26:09 PM
Is the ARC still requiring a Mass Care course before you take the shelter course.

As I said before, we cannot just use the ARC courses since ARC coverage is weak in many, many places.  They can be an option to completing CAP specific shelter tasks, but cannot be the only method allowed.

If we require the ARC courses only CAP members in areas that already have a strong ARC presence will be able to get qualified in this specialty, and that is exactly the area where we would be needed the least.  CAP can be of most help in areas without ARC. 

And keep in mind that ARC is no more going to be the official lead as far as government disaster response in regards to shelter operations than CAP is likely to be.  They too are a non-governmental organization.  We would still be working at the request of local or state governments, so we don't need to be entirely centered around ARC needs and procedures.  They obviously know a lot about it, which is why I suggested adapting their training where feasible for our use. 

As my old Irish sergeant used to say: "Everything is situational".
I am a former Red Cross Disaster Specialist, now a volunteer, as well as as a Salvation Army Emergency Disaster Service Volunteer. Back some years ago in CA, we had an MOU with the State to provide support to the Red Cross and the SA, if asked and tasked by the state. In order to get that tasking, I encouraged the unit ES officers to contact their local chapters for training.
With the demise of many small, local, ARC chapters, training is hard to come by. However, most states have state specialists that MIGHT, if enough interest was shown, come to you and run the Shelter Ops classes. Also depends on where you are whether or not they'll require Mass Care as well.
The Salvation Army also has a disaster syllabus. Not all SA Corps Officers are involved in EDS equally. However, like the Red Cross, there is a paid professional EDS Coordinator at each Army Divisional HQ. May also be a source of training.
My $0.02.

Ed Ryan
Peoria, AZ

RiverAux

Okay, I just don't think we were getting a good view on the reasons for the no votes which I think would really impact the results, so I re-did the poll and reset it to 0. 

Eclipse

I like the idea of the CAP model w/ ARC as a sub.  That gets us in the door either way.

The CAP classes should be approved derivitives of the ARC & SA so that we can integrate w/o any issues.

"That Others May Zoom"