mission reimbursement questions travel to/from mission base.

Started by mynetdude, March 16, 2008, 06:09:59 AM

mynetdude

This seems to be a hot topic for select members and myself in my squadron regarding the question concerning funded missions vs non funded missions and not getting reimbursements on funded missions and what the regulations has to say about that.

Noteworthy words to note: "may be reimbursed" (it doesn't say "must be reimbursed" or "have to be reimbursed" so I wanted to piont that out, as I am going to copy the email I sent to the member who seemed to make a 20 minute speech about how various things should be reimbursed not just fuel for individual members driving to mission base in their POVs however batteries that we use for the ISRs and VHF radios that we have to buy are supposedly reimbursable since they are a "communications" reimburseable item????

Anyway here is the email I sent off and along with that I attached the regulations:

From CAPR 60-3

3-4. USAF-Assigned Non-Reimbursable Training Missions for CAP Resources. USAF-assigned non-reimbursable training missions should be designed to provide training to improve the wing's ability to perform mission commitments identified in approved agreements and memorandums of understanding. These missions are intended to permit a wing (or region) to conduct additional training activities beyond those authorized for USAF reimbursement. Non-reimbursable training missions will be planned to accomplish specific training requirements. Specific training objectives must be reviewed and approved by the wing (or region) commander prior to requesting mission authorization.

We all know that USAF/AFAM (Air Force Approved Missions) are reimburseable for fuel costs... it so appears that there is such thing as USAF assigned non reimburseable missions (even though it is funded by the USAF, no reimbursements would be permitted it seems if the additional training activities beyond those authorized for USAF reimbursements).

So my question is: the last SAREX that just ended, was it USAF assigned? How would I know that? Typically a mission with 08MA is an actual USAF/AFAM reimburseable mission, mission numbers that start with 08T are reimburseable it seems as well??? Our last SAREX had 08T and every 07MA/08MA mission I have been on have been reimbursed without questions.

Note this:

From Chapter 7 (page 28)

e. The CAP may conduct peacetime civil disaster relief operations without an Air Force MD number. In such circumstances, federal benefits (e.g., FECA, FTCA, or USAF reimbursement) may not be provided to the CAP if there is no current MOU with the state that has been approved by CAP-USAF. Without an Air Force MD or an Air Force approved MOU with the state, the mission could be conducted without federal benefits as a corporate mission. The CAP wings should enter into agreements with their respective states for disaster/emergency relief. In accordance with chapter 5, such agreements should specifically address: mission authorization procedures, reimbursement policies and procedures, civil liability and worker's compensation coverage, and any other issues pertinent to state laws and CAP directives.

So now it appears according to this, since it would seem that the last SAREX we just completed was not a USAF funded TRAINING mission, as USAF does fund some training missions it would also seem that reimbursements are NOT required for non-USAF funded missions.  So again, what determines a funded mission??? Or when is it NOT funded?

I'm not saying they shouldn't be reimbursed, but if it isn't costing the wing anything... why should anyone miss out on the reimbursement?  I'm going to see what I can come up with at the CAP community forums and see what the folks there have to say.

I have just two questions: #1 how the heck do you determine if a mission is a AFAM/USAF mission that is NON funded?  and #2 I would presume that since "may be reimbursed" for USAF/AFAM funded missions... I would preclude that reimbursement is NOT required??? (though in my email I stated I have never had a problem obtaining reimbursement for USAF/AFAM funded missions.

I know that unfunded missions are obviously NOT reimbursable, it wouldn't make any logical sense if it was and wanted to point that out that I was aware of that.

The question seems to be... are all funded missions (SAREX and actuals) reimburseable?  With gas prices at nearly $3.50/gallon here and probably will be closer to $5/gallon by the time summer is over... that is literally costing me $12-$15/day every time I make a round trip to/from my unit's hangar/mission base.

Anybody have any thoughts/input on this along with their expertise if any?

Shannon M

Edit: 60-3 manual in PDF attached.

[attachment deleted by admin]

TankerT

I think you're reading in to this a bit too much.  The language was put there for a variety of reasons.  Some of the reasons for "may" allows CAP and the USAF to add their procedural items that say if you don't file your paperwork in X days, you don't get paid...etc...  But, if it is an AF Assigned Mission (funded training, or actual) you can be reimbursed.  If never been on a non-funded AF Mission.  I don't know if they exist.  (I have been on non-funded missions created by the Wing to allow for skills qualifications.  But, we all knew the status of that going in.)

In all honesty, in my 20 years in CAP, I have never been on an Air Force mission and not been reimbursed for allowed expenses. 

/Insert Snappy Comment Here

isuhawkeye

Here's the short, er....  possibly long  answer.  Each wing has a specific budget for mission training funds each year.  The amount of funds is determined by a complex matrix including number of IC's, mission pilots, Ground team leaders etc.  These funds get budgeted for the year.  Unfortunaitly these funds are never enough to acomplish all of your wing's training goals. 

We make up for this short fall by conducting FTX's, local mission training, and even larger scale training missions.  some states fund these missions through state funds, wing savings, squadron dues, or they may defer the cost to the member. 

When wings approach these "un funded" missions they are faced with the challange of insurance.  you can function under corporate insurance, possibly a state insurance, or air force insurance. 

The simple  truth is that any time you conduct any active operational training the project officer should ensure that the partisipating members are covered by the highest level of insurance. 

When ever you partisipate in a "non emergent"  mission you should get an operations plan, or briefing.  this briefing should include operational issues as well as finance procedures,  and it should be provided before the mission.

I apologize for the miss spellin.  I'm typing this on my phone

Frenchie

There have been instances when people in my squadron have been reimbursed for a SAREX.  For instance, if we're required to go to a remote mission base for the SAREX, then members can fill out a 108 and get reimbursed.

Another instance is the Low Level Route Surveys (LLRS) we are doing for the USAF military training routes.  If we have to do an overnight stay at a remote location to get some of the remote routes done, there is limited reimbursement available to stay overnight.

All of this has to be approved ahead of time.  You can't just take it upon yourself to do it and expect to get reimbursed just because you filled out a 108.  I wouldn't expect them to ever reimburse just to go to your local squadron for a SAREX, but I suppose it's up to the discretion of each squadron/group/wing.

RiverAux

About the only non-AF reimbursed, but AF approved, missions that I've ever seen are those planned and conducted by local squadrons. 

Now, just because a mission wasn't AF reimbursable, doesn't mean that the Wing or squadron (which level was in charge) couldn't reimburse individual members for fuel costs, etc. associated with the mission.  It just means that the unit will have to eat the cost themselves rather than passing the bill on to the AF. 

mynetdude

FWIW getting reimbursements is a privilage not a right although the FTC (Federal Torte Claims) for AFAM states that AFAM will have the option of communications and fuel/oil reimbursement for POVs to/from mission base and while in use on the mission.

there is a senior member in my squadron who thinks ALL "A" missions are reimburseable while "B" missions are not.

I have been on several SAREXs in the past year and never was denied reimbursement once.  Obviously state and corporate funded missions are different, of course the last SAREX we did everybody got a copy of the goals, training requirements, who the ICs were and who the trainees were and the fact that the training was for MS and MO only as there was no budget for ground training ops, it never said that reimbursements would not be honored to members traveling to/from mission bases. Although the fact that it says there was a limited budget was a good indicator.

My question is what determines a non refundable missions? Missions that are not funded, that have to be paid by the members is obviously a non reimbursable mission as well as "B" missions.

So now my question what are considered "A" and "B" missions?  I'm not complaining that there were no reimbursements, it wasn't stated "NO reimbursements" on the ops plan ever and if that is the case you can guarantee that I won't participate in training missions as long as gas prices stay above $2.50/gallon (we're at $3.50 now, definitely a killer meaning that I am limiting my travel to/from the hangar/base to at least twice a week any more than that I'm not willing to spend on it.

I just want to be clear on when I am authorized to get reimbursements so that when I look at the ops plan I can safely determine which type of mission it is even if it doesn't say clearly "no reimbursements authorized".

FW

I would think an easy way to figure out if the mission is reimbursable would be to check it out in WIMRS.  If funds are obligated for the mission, it is an AFA reimburseable mission.  If  not, it is an AFA non reimbursable mission.

mynetdude

hmm I have never looked at WIMIRS before... so I'm not sure I understand "obligated" funds.

I know how to get to WIMIRS (I think), I'm not stupid enough to go messing with it either but I'd like to be able to know what I'm looking at :).

I'll check WIMIRS... thanks :)

One other noteworthy thing to point out though, I don't think you can check WIMIRS on a training SAREX/mission that hasn't even begun am I correct? Usually you can review it after the first day the mission has been active AFAIK.

mynetdude

I just tried WIMIRS... can't access it.

Only seems to be ICs and WG CC can access WIMIRS.

FW

I know the info is in WIMRS.  "Obligated Funds"  is the approved amount allowed for reimbursement or use in a mission.  To access WIMRS, you need to register on line. If you can't access the needed information, your squadron commander, IC or appropriate WSA (web security administrator) should be able to help.  If not, contact your State Director.  He definitely can tell you.

mynetdude

Quote from: FW on March 16, 2008, 06:25:03 PM
I know the info is in WIMRS.  "Obligated Funds"  is the approved amount allowed for reimbursement or use in a mission.  To access WIMRS, you need to register on line. If you can't access the needed information, your squadron commander, IC or appropriate WSA (web security administrator) should be able to help.  If not, contact your State Director.  He definitely can tell you.

Ah its no big thing really, I don't need access to WIMIRS unless I have a need to which I don't.  Like I said I haven't dealt with WIMIRS before, I know very little about it; that being said if the mission is non reimburseable then the obligated funds wouldn't be there of course or if the wing staff decides they'd rather not reimburse and use every ounce of funds to train as many MS/MOs then I would assume thats a possibility.

I don't have a problem with wanting to just train exclusively for MS/MO, however anytime you are going to send an aircraft out on a training mission/SAREX or actual mission you have to have a comm person and that comm person has to drive to wherever there is access to VHF radios unless he/she has one at home issued to him/her.

My point is, the ops plan didn't specifically state that no reimbursements would be authorized.  Whether or not the funds were obligated or not, thats another issue and frankly I don't care all I know is they have kicked themselves by doing it this way and I have participated in 4-5 days of the SAREX 2-3 of them I entered my vehicle into the IMU as the vehicle that would be getting the reimbursement until I got an email saying I couldn't do that so I didn't check my vehicle in for the last 2 days I participated that is still a total cost of approximately $60 for fuel for 4 days of SAREX participations, you bet I will say no to the next unfunded SAREX because of the last one wasn't specific about it and that is my only gripe.

RiverAux

There are two different things being discussed here:
1.  Whether the AF will reimburse Wing for costs of a mission.
2.  Whether Wing will reimburse individual members for their costs associated with the mission.

The answer to #1 should be found in the operations plan which should have the mission symbol under which the mission is conducted.  Check 60-1 and you will know whether or not the AF plans on reimbursing wing for the costs. 

The answer to #2 may or may not be found in the operations plan.  I don't know that I've ever seen it specificall described in them, but it is certainly up to Wing in every case on whether they're going to reimburse members for their expenses (whether or not the AF reimburses them).  For example, if on my own I decided to drive 300 miles to mission base in my POV for a SAREX and if I haven't gotten permission ahead of time, there is a chance that Wing may not reimburse me because they didn't include such costs in the operations plan and may not have the money to do so. 

mynetdude

Quote from: RiverAux on March 16, 2008, 07:08:10 PM
There are two different things being discussed here:
1.  Whether the AF will reimburse Wing for costs of a mission.
2.  Whether Wing will reimburse individual members for their costs associated with the mission.

The answer to #1 should be found in the operations plan which should have the mission symbol under which the mission is conducted.  Check 60-1 and you will know whether or not the AF plans on reimbursing wing for the costs. 

The answer to #2 may or may not be found in the operations plan.  I don't know that I've ever seen it specificall described in them, but it is certainly up to Wing in every case on whether they're going to reimburse members for their expenses (whether or not the AF reimburses them).  For example, if on my own I decided to drive 300 miles to mission base in my POV for a SAREX and if I haven't gotten permission ahead of time, there is a chance that Wing may not reimburse me because they didn't include such costs in the operations plan and may not have the money to do so. 

Ok lets hypothetically say that #1 is true, AF will reimburse the cost of the mission in one instance would wing then go to #2 and reimburse the individual members?  Again, its not like the AF has decided to give $3,000 just for reimbursements, they will give you a set budget and if that budget doesn't cover the costs of reimbursements then I guess you are out of luck even on AFAM missions.

Eagle400

I have a question. 

If a CAP member travels a long distance (say, 300 miles) to participate in an AFAM, would the Air Force be able to pay for travel and lodging expenses?

I know that in the National Guard, if your unit is a long distance from your home and travel to and from is not feasible, they will reimburse you for travel and lodging expenses.

While CAP is not the National Guard, it is an instrumentality of the Air Force and serves the country in a capacity similar to that of the National Guard. 

SJFedor

Depends. If it's an actual, and the travel out there is justified, then yes, you can be reimbursed for certain expenses.

If it's a training exercise, you're only getting reimbursed if the travel to/from was a part of the OPLAN and considered part of the mission. Meaning that you were signed into the mission prior to departure from your home station and the transport inbound was part of the mission. Otherwise, no.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Eagle400

Quote from: SJFedor on March 16, 2008, 08:54:10 PM
Depends. If it's an actual, and the travel out there is justified, then yes, you can be reimbursed for certain expenses.

Do you know what those expenses are, sir?

Quote from: SJFedor on March 16, 2008, 08:54:10 PMIf it's a training exercise, you're only getting reimbursed if the travel to/from was a part of the OPLAN and considered part of the mission.

But if it's just a training exercise (SAREX, for example), then it's not an AFAM, right? 

Quote from: SJFedor on March 16, 2008, 08:54:10 PMMeaning that you were signed into the mission prior to departure from your home station and the transport inbound was part of the mission. Otherwise, no.

But only for training exercises, right?

SJFedor

Reference CAPR 173-3, Payment for Civil Air Patrol Support

Quote from: CAPR 173-3
1. General.
a. Disbursement of Federal appropriated funds for CAP may be used to furnish, pay or reimburse CAP for the following items (including taxes) while participating in an Air Force-assigned mission:

(text removed that doesn't apply)

(4) Mission travel, lodging and per diem expenses associated with the mission.

(a) Operational Missions. Overnight stays must be approved in advance through the National Operations Center (NOC) for all missions. In unique conditions (example: weather-related) where overnight stays have not been approved in advance, the mission base staff must contact the NOC duty officer to coordinate approval. Also, please keep in mind that the NOC can only coordinate approval of overnight stays during missions when a) safety requirements dictate and/or b) mission needs dictate and it is more cost effective for the overall mission to do so. Per diem (meals) will only be reimbursed in conjunction with overnight stays. CAP's exemption from the FAA allows private pilots to receive lodging and meals compensation only on Air Force-assigned missions.

(b) Training Missions. Overnight stays will not normally be authorized for training missions, except when safety needs dictate. Examples of when it can be approved include inclement weather preventing a safe return to home base or when necessary to avoid violating duty day requirements stated in CAPR 60-1. If it is necessary for members to stay overnight as part of a training mission, the state director and wing commander must both approve the request to be paid from the wing's Air Force training funds. In the unusual circumstance when the state director or wing commander cannot be reached, the incident commander or his/her staff can contact the NOC to coordinate approval.

(c) All Air Force Missions. When pre-approved by the NOC in accordance with 1a(4)(a) above, all authorized CAP personnel will be reimbursed per diem at a rate of $25 per day. Lodging rates will be reimbursed in accordance with the Joint Federal Travel Regulations (JFTR). JFTR lodging rates can be obtained from the following website: (https://secureapp2.hqda.pentagon.mil/perdiem/pdrates.html). Every effort should be made to stay within these rates. In very unusual circumstances where lodging cannot be obtained at any facility within the JFTR rates, additional approval must be obtained in advance from the NOC – otherwise the member will only be reimbursed up to the JFTR rate. Generally, anything that exceeds the JFTR rate by thirty percent or more will not be approved. If ground transportation is required, CAP vehicles should always be used if available. When a CAP vehicle is not available, the most cost effective option should be used whether it be a hotel shuttle, taxi, rental car etc.

b. Reimbursement from other organizations will be in accordance with the current memorandum of understanding (MOU) or letter of agreement (LOA) with that organization.

c. Absolute minimum acceptable documentation for reimbursement/payment of vouchers is that which is stated in this regulation.

Also, look at Attachment 3 in 173-3. I won't post it, but it tells you about it. Expenses can be reimbursed including fuel to, from, and during the mission, along with other stuff, as deemed necessary to carry out the mission.

Funded training exercises are typically AFAM training exercises, using the release symbol A5 for flight operations. Training missions that the Wing is paying for are typically Corporate missions. The funded exercises are AFAMs because the USAF approves it (via your state director and liason region) and all AFAM type things apply (FECA, FTCA, etc)

Quote from: CCSE on March 16, 2008, 09:01:04 PM
Quote from: SJFedor on March 16, 2008, 08:54:10 PMMeaning that you were signed into the mission prior to departure from your home station and the transport inbound was part of the mission. Otherwise, no.

But only for training exercises, right?

That statement applies to training missions. See above. Contact your Wing DO or DOS with questions, they can answer how they do things in their neck of the woods. For TN, if we know, say a GT is coming from Knoxville to Nashville (~3 hour drive), we'll write that transportation into our OPLAN and set aside part of the training mission budget for that to/from drive. They typically do this transport in a COV (unless the POV is written into the plan) and then submit a 108 at the end of the mission for vehicle reimbursement. The cost of their fuel to get TO the van, from wherever they live, however, is not part of the mission.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

RiverAux

mynet and CCSE -- In all cases it is the wing that reimburses individual members.  Whether or not it is an AF reimbursed or non-reimbursed mission doesn't matter.  And, anytime you want to get reimbursed, you better make sure ahead of time that Wing will do so or you might end up SOL. 

mynetdude

Quote from: SJFedor on March 16, 2008, 08:54:10 PM

If it's a training exercise, you're only getting reimbursed if the travel to/from was a part of the OPLAN and considered part of the mission. Meaning that you were signed into the mission prior to departure from your home station and the transport inbound was part of the mission. Otherwise, no.

Hmm folks here view this differently, travel to/from mission base is never part of the ops plan.  If there were to be a safety issue for aircrews or travel via ground for ground crews then obviously they would postpone, reassign to another unit and/or turn the mission back over to the AF to decide who next should handle it.  It is my understanding that no one gets signed in to a mission until you arrive at mission base or your ops plan has a full understanding all personnel will travel from their home to the "scene" rather than mission base then in that theory you would sign in before departing.

Eagle400

Quote from: RiverAux on March 16, 2008, 09:17:24 PM
mynet and CCSE -- In all cases it is the wing that reimburses individual members.  Whether or not it is an AF reimbursed or non-reimbursed mission doesn't matter.  And, anytime you want to get reimbursed, you better make sure ahead of time that Wing will do so or you might end up SOL.

So, for example the CAP personnel from CAWG who traveled out to Nevada to participate in the Fossett Search were reimbursed by CAWG and not the AF?

I don't have a problem with that, but it would seem like the Air Force has more money to spend on reimbursement for these types of things than CAP does.