Climate Change report - another potential call to action

Started by Eclipse, May 07, 2014, 02:43:37 AM

Eclipse

This is exactly the kind of thing CAP should use as a call to preparation, readiness, and action.

An entire national DR training framework with corresponding downstream training plans should emerge with
this as the core document, and this should be used as a conversation starter with local agencies.

My money is on this being largely ignored by CAP and another recruiting and mission opportunity left on the table.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/weather/2014/05/06/national-climate-assessment/8736743/
"Devastating droughts in the Southwest, ruinous floods in New York City, killer wildfires in Colorado, intense heat waves in the Plains: These are the some of the disasters that are being exacerbated by global warming, and problems will continue to worsen in the decades to come, according to a massive federal climate report released Tuesday at the White House."

http://www.whitehouse.gov/share/climate-action-plan
http://www.whitehouse.gov/energy/climate-change

Note: There is no point in making this a political conversation about "why" things are changing,
or whether this is just nature being cyclical, regardless the next decade or so (if not longer)
is likely to be "interesting" in the way of the Chinese curse.

"That Others May Zoom"

SunDog

Weirdly appropriate. . .rings true. Bad times are good times for folks called upon in bad times. If that makes any sense?

CAP might be on tap for a lot of picture taking, if they haven't driven all the aircrew away by then. . .every "surge" event ends with our wing appealing for more MPs and MOs to get current in the glass, and/or other aircraft.

And then it's back to the GOBN and/or call outs and call downs going to sqdns, as opposed to aircrew. "I call the sqdns I know can do the job". Excellent plan for keeping crews involved long term.

One of our guys bit - he did the long round trip drive to wing-land, multiple times, did his glass checkride, and then never heard another word.  Lost his phone number. He Kept the faith for a year or so, did the drive to stay current, and proficient.  Then finally let it go. . .and is gone from CAP,  now, too.

Johnny Yuma

It goes against my ethics to use fraudulent information to recruit people into CAP.

For every news headline that says "Earth Heating" or talking about the Polar icecap melting there's another one talking about the coming Ice Age and how the seals are dying because the polar ice cap is freezing over the hole they use to come up for air from under the ice. Meanwhile the people telling me to ride a bike to work and start living under a rock to save the planet are riding around in limo's and jetsetting on Learjets making money off their book royalties, speeches and carbon footprint credits.

I'm not stooping to the level of the Climate change hucksters to get another clasp on my recruiting ribbon.
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

Luis R. Ramos

Another denier.

I have not heard or read any article stating that "seals are dying because their holes are freezing." If you have first knowledge of any scientist traveling in a limo etc. post it. Meanwhile the evidence keeps piling up. More calamities, higher tides, and smaller glaciers and ice tops. Remember? CAP takes photos of the ground. So do other agencies.
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

RiverAux

Unfortunately, climate change is just too politically hot an issue for me to recommend that CAP use it in marketing ourselves as a resource for dealing with some of its results. 

Luis R. Ramos

I concur with River...

I believe it is happening, but using this as a recruitment tool is divisive and contentious.
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on May 11, 2014, 01:50:29 PM
I concur with River...

I believe it is happening, but using this as a recruitment tool is divisive and contentious.

Climate change...a term CREATED by the deniers. We don't have to talk about what is causing the change, simply how we can help deal with the effects. It's a sad world where a real problem (whether natural, OR man made) because "too politically hot" to be addressed.

arajca

Quote from: usafaux2004 on May 11, 2014, 04:43:44 PM
I concur with River...

Climate change...a term CREATED by the deniers. We don't have to talk about what is causing the change, simply how we can help deal with the effects. It's a sad world where a real problem (whether natural, OR man made) because "too politically hot" to be addressed.
Incorrect. Climate Change was created by the Global Warming folks when an inconvenient fact (no noticeable warming in 10+ years) came up. Global Warming/Climate Change caused by man is a RELIGION of many. There can be no denying it. Think about this - the models they use to predict the future climate cannot accurately give us our current climate given the inputs required. As a result, we are being asked to take it on FAITH there is climate change caused by man. Hence, it's a religion.

Also, remember, the same folks said we were entering a new Ice Age in the 70's.

PHall

You guys want to take your political arguement somewhere else?

JayT

Quote from: arajca on May 11, 2014, 05:46:01 PM
I concur with River...

Incorrect. Climate Change was created by the Global Warming folks when an inconvenient fact (no noticeable warming in 10+ years) came up. Global Warming/Climate Change caused by man is a RELIGION of many. There can be no denying it. Think about this - the models they use to predict the future climate cannot accurately give us our current climate given the inputs required. As a result, we are being asked to take it on FAITH there is climate change caused by man. Hence, it's a religion.

I actually prefer posts like this, because I like it when climate change deniers are out in the open.

You have to ignore the opinions of the vast majority of experts in the field. What does that say about your reality?
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

arajca

Quote from: JayT on May 11, 2014, 06:13:33 PM
I concur with River...

I actually prefer posts like this, because I like it when climate change deniers are out in the open.

You have to ignore the opinions of the vast majority of experts in the field. What does that say about your reality?
Experts whose opinions are based on a flawed model. How many experts claimed man could not survive supersonic flight?

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: arajca on May 11, 2014, 06:56:09 PM
Quote from: JayT on May 11, 2014, 06:13:33 PM
I concur with River...

Experts whose opinions are based on a flawed model. How many experts claimed man could not survive supersonic flight?

Of course...scientists who spent their life studying it and looking at the trend are "wrong", but Faux news is right because they bring out the one guy who disagrees.

Eclipse

In the recent words of John Oliver:

"You don't need people's opinion on a fact.
You might as well have a poll on 'Which number is bigger, 15 or 5? Or Do owls exist? Or are there hats?"

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2014/05/12/3436771/john-oliver-climate-change-debate/

I would have linked the video directly, but it contains some NSFC language.

The POINT in this thread is that it doesn't matter >why< the climate is changing, or whether it's
made man made or natural, it is changing.  That is an undeniable scientifically accepted and verified fact.

Even if it is only anecdotal, short-term, or a natural cycle of the earth, people who took home economics
instead of Earth Science in high school are apparently unaware of the fact that the reason we have the Great Lakes
is because there used to be a continental glacier over the MidWest, that the SW US is a desert without human intervention,
and the reason we have oil in the mid-east is that it used to be a rain forest.

In the mean time, the SW US is in a pattern of drought, the MidWest and Eastern Seaboard are seeing an increase
in storm activity, you know, right where that are major population centers and in areas people didn't used to live,
and things generally are getting more intense across the board.

If your response to this is political, I hope, as Bill Cosby pointed out in his story about Noah, that you can "tread water."

Meanwhile, those of us who simply accept reality without a p;political filter, should be using this science to
plan and prepare for the next decade of increased negative impacts on the economy and society.  As I said
earlier, CAP will likely ignore the entire issue, or indulge in the political arguments instead of using this as a clarion,
because the voice of "discuss instead of do" is generally louder no matter what room you're in.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Basically, as a comment on the link stated, this is Pascal's Wager - climate style. But in terms of CAP, whether "proven" or "real" or "nothing we can do about it", CAP can still help with the consequences that are getting more frequent.

Eclipse

Quote from: usafaux2004 on May 14, 2014, 02:33:28 PMCAP can still help with the consequences that are getting more frequent.

Which should be the point taken when you read things without a political filter.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

Quote from: Eclipse on May 14, 2014, 02:22:36 PM..the reason we have the Great Lakes is because there used to be a continental glacier over the MidWest, that the SW US is a desert without human intervention, and the reason we have oil in the mid-east is that it used to be a rain forest.
..and that the Vikings were farming in -Green-land..

AirAux

Hmmm, with this ice melting, water rising, sounds more like a job for the Coast Guard Auxilary??  Whether it is politcal or not, for man to think he can control the weather is just a little bit egotistic, considering he has screwed up everything else he has decided needed to be fixed.  Whatever happened to the old days of science when the facts were that the Earth was flat?  I would suggest that man knows about as much about the weather nowadays as he did about the curvature of the Earth when science said it was flat..

Flying Pig

The Gulf of Mexico is about 75yards from my front door, however I live in a 3rd floor condo.  A diving board on my balcony would be a great entertainment piece.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: AirAux on May 14, 2014, 02:50:03 PM
Hmmm, with this ice melting, water rising, sounds more like a job for the Coast Guard Auxilary??  Whether it is politcal or not, for man to think he can control the weather is just a little bit egotistic, considering he has screwed up everything else he has decided needed to be fixed.  Whatever happened to the old days of science when the facts were that the Earth was flat?  I would suggest that man knows about as much about the weather nowadays as he did about the curvature of the Earth when science said it was flat..

That's a dumb "fact" to use, and you should feel bad for trying. "Scientists" (Philosophers back then, really), did NOT think the earth was flat. In fact, well over two thousand years ago, a philosopher estimated the circumference of the earth to within a few hundred miles IIRC. The sailors with Columbus also didn't think he'd sail them off the edge of the Earth. If anything, we can blame Christianity for the so called dark ages in Europe that for CENTURIES persecuted "scientists" who said something the church felt was against what was compiled by them as the "word of G-d". While Europeans were burning each other at the stake, those "savage" Muslims were working Math, the Mongols were using biological warfare with the understanding of where the disease was really coming from (in relationship to the Christian views on it), and the Chinese were blasting emperors into space on rocket chairs. Your ethnocentrism is showing, sir.