Missing Boy Scout

Started by SAR-EMT1, March 19, 2007, 01:05:56 AM

SAR-EMT1

C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

thefischNX01

Good Hunting Guys.  Bring him home safe. 

Fox News said something about Fixed-Wing aircraft.  That at least opens up the possibility of our involvement
Capt. Colin Fischer, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Easton Composite Sqdn
Maryland Wing
http://whats-a-flight-officer.blogspot.com/

JohnKachenmeister

They found him!

He's alive!
Another former CAP officer

lordmonar

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

RogueLeader

WYWG DP

GRW 3340

FARRIER

Photographer/Photojournalist
IT Professional
Licensed Aircraft Dispatcher

http://www.commercialtechimagery.com/stem-and-aerospace

RogueLeader

WYWG DP

GRW 3340

DNall

QuoteAbout 70 searchers resumed the hunt for Michael on Tuesday. Dog teams and a plane with heat-sensing equipment searched for him overnight.
Just a little aside there.

RogueLeader

WYWG DP

GRW 3340

A.Member

Quote from: RogueLeader on March 20, 2007, 07:03:11 PM
I take that as a yes?
Maybe this will help:
N. Carolina Wing assists in successful search for missing scout

Note:  It was reported that the dog and handler that found the boy were from South Carolina.

;)
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

carnold1836

So from how it reads there wasn't any actual searching done by NCWG but instead provided valuable transportation to a resource we were not able to provide directly. I can live with that, at least CAP was thought of and was able to serve in one form or another.
Chris Arnold, 1st Lt, CAP
Pegasus Composite Squadron

Earhart1971

I was wondering about out Visibility for the Search.

In the Major Media outlets we were basically invisible.

We should have been all over it like a cheap suit.

A.Member

Quote from: Earhart1971 on March 20, 2007, 08:35:31 PM

Be careful what you wish for.   Besides, it's about the mission not the notoriety.

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Earhart1971

Disagree, CAP is invisible and invisible is not good.

Hence our step child funding.

lordmonar

Quote from: Earhart1971 on March 20, 2007, 08:35:31 PM

No...we should be all over this like professionals doing a job.  We are part of a team.  It is when we toot our horn too much is when we look like posers.

A.Member

Quote from: lordmonar on March 20, 2007, 08:52:14 PM
No...we should be all over this like professionals doing a job.  We are part of a team. 
Yep.

Quote from: lordmonar on March 20, 2007, 08:52:14 PMIt is when we toot our horn too much is when we look like posers.
...and the last thing you want or need in that situation is to be caught with your pants down.

Earhart1971

Quote from: A.Member on March 20, 2007, 09:02:40 PM
No...we should be all over this like professionals doing a job.  We are part of a team. 
Yep.

Quote from: lordmonar on March 20, 2007, 08:52:14 PMIt is when we toot our horn too much is when we look like posers.
...and the last thing you want or need in that situation is to be caught with your pants down.

Can you explain, your comment a little further?

Not being caught with our pants down?

What?

A.Member

Quote from: Earhart1971 on March 20, 2007, 09:14:29 PM
Quote from: A.MemberIt is when we toot our horn too much is when we look like posers.

What?
As lordmonar mentioned, right now, I'd prefer we build a solid reputation through our professional approach among those agencies that we would team with.  This will speak volumes to those that really matter - the people that call us for help.

Tooting your own horn and overexposure inevitablity brings around a certain amount of scrutiny.  Right now, I don't think the organization can afford such scrutiny.  Thus the "pants down" comment refers to the exposure of those things we don't necessarily want others outside the organization to see.   

lordmonar

Quote from: Earhart1971 on March 20, 2007, 09:14:29 PM
Quote from: A.Member on March 20, 2007, 09:02:40 PM
Yep.

What?

He means that if we hype the medial aspect of everything we do and the public gets the wrong impression of what are actual capabilities are...then we look like fools when some other wing has to tell his DR/SAR coordinator that no CAP can't support his request.

We supported the effort.....lets leave it at that take pride in the fact that we contributed in some way to a save and move on to the next task.  We are being funded by congress just fine as far as I can tell.  It would be nice to buy some more toys but other then that what would more (except FLIRS and other toys) would you ask for as far as ES goes?

RiverAux

QuoteIt would be nice to buy some more toys but other then that what would more (except FLIRS and other toys) would you ask for as far as ES goes?
Well, I know squadrons in my own wing without DF equipment and a poster in another thread said that they had an entire group with no CAP-owned DF equipment at all.  NHQ is starting to come through on comms, but thats about it.