Winter storms in Iowa

Started by isuhawkeye, February 25, 2007, 09:46:38 PM

isuhawkeye

The Iowa wing is currently engaged in supporting the state of Iowa. 

The state of Iowa has been socked by the worst winter storm to hit the state in over 18 years.  State disaster declarations have been filed for 80% of the state, and over 100,000 Iowans are with out power.  Initial reports estimate that services will be recovered in 2-3 days. 

The Iowa wing has forward deployed a detachment of five staff officers to support the state Emergency Operations Center.  Currently communications and planning staff are working to support many different requests.  As of this post weather and road conditions do not allow for the safe deployment of air or ground assets into the most affected regions.  Once the weather clears both CAP, and the National Guard will begin a coordinated effort to process the mounting list of reconnaissance requests. 

isuhawkeye

The Iowa wing CC has activated the wing, and implimented the leave from work legislation.

Pylon

Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

isuhawkeye

The civil air patrol has been tasked with flying damage assessment.  The topic of the day is power.  As many as 90% of some rural service providers are with out power,  hundreds of poles are down, as many as 250,000 CAP is staffing its desk at the SEOC, and helping to coordinate response.

Pylon

Quote from: isuhawkeye on February 26, 2007, 04:23:41 PM
The civil air patrol has been tasked with flying damage assessment.  The topic of the day is power.  As many as 90% of some rural service providers are with out power,  hundreds of poles are down, as many as 250,000 CAP is staffing its desk at the SEOC, and helping to coordinate response.

By the way, if you want to share photos, you can upload them by clicking "Additional Options..." when posting and attaching photo files to your post. 

Good luck with the ops.

isuhawkeye

I dont know how many pics there will be.  we are flying technical experts who will manage there own immagry. 

Channel 13, and 8 are running the story.

our govenor just gave a press release.  Ice cream to anyone who can pick my mug out. 

Gov. culver also specifically mentioned CAP's work

Pylon

Quote from: isuhawkeye on February 26, 2007, 06:27:49 PM
I dont know how many pics there will be.  we are flying technical experts who will manage there own immagry. 

Channel 13, and 8 are running the story.

our govenor just gave a press release.  Ice cream to anyone who can pick my mug out. 

Gov. culver also specifically mentioned CAP's work

Am I looking in the wrong spot for the Governor's press releases?   http://www.governor.iowa.gov/news/2007/02/

isuhawkeye

my bad.  it was a press conference

RiverAux

I think that this was at the southern end of the system that hit Iowa -- Arkansas Wing was doing aerial recon after a tornado there according to CAP News Online:  http://www.cap.gov/visitors/news/cap_news_online/index.cfm?fuseaction=display&nodeID=6192&newsID=2783&year=2007&month=2

DNall

Feel free to snap some of your own photos on the ground or whatever. Always fun to share. Stay safe up there.

isuhawkeye

Since the governors briefing lots of PAO work.  We are tasking a PAO to the EOC to staff the JIC (Joint information Center) we have been asked to provide a talking head for 6:00 news. 

As far as missions go no new requests. 

As integrated as we are we cant pull tasking out of thin air (The local Authorities have to ask for our help).  I foresee damage assessment for air and ground teams in the next few days, but no promises. 

I have a group of eager new ES folks who are chomping at the bit.  Wish I had more for them, but they are doing a great job of holding fast. 

"Put me in coach" has been heard, and acknoleged.

DNall

That's typical, and good. You can't be pestering the local guys with capabilities briefs, you have to make an impression with thos before the fact. I'm sure when the wtx clears you'll have plenty to do on the air side. As that's rolling out, I'd be proactive to get the ground team folks into field staging areas & rolling around. I'm sure AFRCC & AFNSEP will be ready with mission numbers when the time comes, but it doesn't hurt to give them a heads up so they already have the paperwork halfway done when the call comes in. Just take care of your people between now & then, make sure they're geared up, with food & such on board, & ready to deploy. Keep checking your comms.

isuhawkeye

thanks for the input. 

I have 2 aircrews ready to go,  and three ground teams who have dug themselves out. 

We have condcted regular briefings, and updates with the NOC. 

AFRCC has nothing in the pipe, and federal funding is out until a federal disasted is declared.  we expect to get that done on tuesday

things are going well. 

DNall

Good! If any wing would be on top of it, I'd expect it would be you guys. We're pretty dang good down here on the ES side, but it's not always consistent & leaves you wondering if everything is being done that can be.

No kidding on the comms though. You can lose a repeater or HF antenna easy in this stuff. And you're going to need that stuff up & running when the time comes. Plus other agencies have the same problem & may need comm back up. That's an under-used angle for CAP that you'll really like if you get to do it. Putting one of your guys with a radio on-board with local responders. That's right in the think of it. I don't know if you guys have a highbird plane or if that'd be region, but make sure that's on ready alert as well, and that region knows you may be needing to taks Archer flights in the next few days. The NOC is great, but go sideways in the chain of command to give people a heads up so they're ready before teh call comes.

Hey just a side note, they LtCol they gave the medal of honor to a couple hours ago... his wingman (captain) & 2001 recipient apparently couldn't make the ceremony cause he's snowed-in in Iowa. You know what I'd do while I'm waiting is track down that guy's phone number, give him a call to pass along your congrats to his wingman & let him know if he has any problems or needs anything during this situation that he can call you guys. Nice gesture for one, then down the road you can get him to speak at your next Wg Conf, OTS grad, or something like that, and hell maybe even recruit him down the road. That'd be a hell of a boost for the Wg & CAP in general. Just an idea, since you're just hanging out waiting for the call. I really think someone at Wing needs to do this. It's the right thing to do for starters & a great opportunity.

Sounds like you guys are on top of it. Good work!! Keep it up. I would say I wish I was there with ya, but I'll take a good ole fashion hurricane any day over a mountain of snow.  ;D

isuhawkeye

Shift change

This is the end of the second full day of CAP operations.  Due to being short staffed CAP will not be staffing the SEOC on the overnight. 

CAP resources expect to be tasked with more damage assessment tomorrow, as well as health and welfare checks. 

We expect to see an AFRCC request based upon the several thousand Iowans who have not been seen for the past three days. 

A federal disaster declaration is expected to be processed tomorrow.  This will open the doors for funded AFNSEP support. 

Currently we have ample air crews, and ground teams. 

How do other states handle long term mission staff needs. 

Ideally we should be staffing the SEOC with an AL (probably should be level 2 or higher) for 8-12 hour shifts.  If that were the case we would be entering our 5th shift. 

All is well.  Cheers

TDHenderson

I am working on turning over some project work and am planning on driving to Camp Dodge this evening to help you out.

DNall

Quote from: isuhawkeye on February 27, 2007, 02:19:33 AM
How do other states handle long term mission staff needs. 
Honestly with lots of extra people.

If you're ever in an "everybody goes" situation, even at the worst, that's real bad. Hate to say it, but the long term answer to your issue is recruit another couple hundred quality active people into the Wg, short term is start asking region & NOC for staff to intersperse w/ your own - it's important to have people familiar with your wg in teh process so you need to hold some in reserve & intersperse the help. 

QuoteIdeally we should be staffing the SEOC with an AL (probably should be level 2 or higher) for 8-12 hour shifts.  If that were the case we would be entering our 5th shift. 
That's ambitious, especially considering the requirements for that rating. I'd train all my branch directors, PSC/OSC, & ICs in the function so there's a pool to work from. It may not be your first team all the time, but you should have quality people you can put up front.

isuhawkeye

thanks for the input, but without a federal declaration the NOC, or other region assetts wouldnt get funded. 

As far as other staff goes I have worked to train up a group of people to do this job.  It takes a lot of knowlege,a dn understanding of CAP.  The person who sits in this desk needs to be able to committt resources. 

Unfortunaitly everyone is either sick, or out of town this week. 

thanks for the input. 

gotta go.

the gov. is talking

DNall

I don't know how you guys have it set up over tehre, but can the reg/NOC not transfer resopurces to IAWG, or more specifically your or the state's IC.

isuhawkeye

the issue is funding. 

with out a federal proc were kind of stuck. 

right now were working out of our limited state appropriation

DNall

OH I see what you mean. I thought you were talking about funded state missions, rather than expending from the general funds they give you to train & operate.

isuhawkeye

So much of our plans is based around federalised response. 

Iowa CAP has been involved with this operation since it began.  its tough to process those first three days before a federal proc can be issued

isuhawkeye

ok gang heres my next question.

At what 101 card level do consider someone to be the primary representitiave at the state EOC. 

Remember that in order to sit in the chair you need to be able to committ your orgonisations resources, and report on their current status. 

RiverAux

No one you put in the chair is going to be able to committ CAP resources.  The best they can do is pass on the request. 

SAR-EMT1

I was going to post a list of CAP positions Id consider necessary in the EOC, but then remembered my place.   ;)

.  As far as spec track areas: dont use anyone without at least a Senior Rating  in the area they are assigned  -Had several SAREXs where we had a SM with a Master rating in Underwater basketweaving, and not even a tech in the area to which he was assigned.

As far as mission req's - IC, AOBD, GBD, Comm Director, Safety Officer etc- Id say:  AS HIGH AS POSSIBLE - dont use a level 3 if a level 2 is availible.
Beyond that at least 6 (preferably 12) REAL missions - not SAREXs in that functional area.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

isuhawkeye

functional area is an interesting term. 

Dont forget that these people will need to be able to generate, and talk on virtually all aspects of CAP operations. 

isuhawkeye

should this duty be restriceted to AL's??

ZigZag911

Quote from: isuhawkeye on February 28, 2007, 12:47:08 AM
should this duty be restriceted to AL's??

Ideally yes, ALs or ICs....hiwever, you gotta work with whose available, sometimes.

I'd say at least OSC or PSC

DNall

Right, if you have ALs & ICs, by all means that's who you want up front. AL is exactly the position you're talking about, but if that's one or two people in the state & you need to continuously man an ops center 24hrs, then you find an officer with some ES experience & put them in the liaison role, maybe with reduced authority, maybe witha strong brief on SOP, you do what you have to.

Far as federal response, that's crap. You don't need a federal disaster decleration for anything. AFNSEP funds are avail w/o a federal decleration, AFRCC funds are avail w/o a federal declaration... the only thing a federal declearation does is make FEMA funds avail to economically effected citizens. What you're going to get before that deleration is narrow job by job mission numbers with some restrictions on what kind of missions you can do. You very much can do assessment flying, how else you think they'd get the information to decide if it should be a federal disaster. If the state wants something the AF won't pay for then they can pay & you can fly. After a federal decleration you can get a catch all mission number & more freedom to decide what you will & will not do.

RiverAux

Most any of the higher-level mission positions would do in a pinch to work an EOC as the "CAP guy".  However, we might also want folks that have actually taken some of the NIMS training in that job.  Many of the old-guard ICs may have been grandfathered in and have no more knowledge of NIMS or ICS than what is now in the Gen ES test.  Obviously that training is going to be mandated at some point in the future as we get NIMS compliant, but in the meantime it should be something we're looking for in a person to do that job. 

isuhawkeye

Denis,

We have asked every avenue for federal funding and been denied, AFRCC< AFNSEP, NOC, 1st AF.  we are working under a C number, and being funded through our state apropriation. 

(we could get an AFNSEP # but no funding at this point in time)

isuhawkeye

River,

So far the people who have staffed the SEOC are ICS 200, 300, and 400 trained (fema and national fire academy classes) they also have IS 700, 800, and the EOC interatcion course. 

I am an IC level 2.  my two assistants are GTL, and GBD I also have a Comunit leader running our communications room. 

isuhawkeye

flights

CAP was able to fly this AM.  we are curently processing images.  I hope to have a report on the gov's desk, and to the local coordinators shortly after noon. 

DNall

On your previous... You know what you might do is ask for CAP-USAF support in your liaison position. They man that role for us at 1AF. Region can send some people over on the AF dime w/o a mission number or anything to help stand that watch. Plus they are good at figuring out how to work the angles to generate appropriate missions.

Quote from: isuhawkeye on February 28, 2007, 02:30:16 PM
We have asked every avenue for federal funding and been denied, AFRCC< AFNSEP, NOC, 1st AF.  we are working under a C number, and being funded through our state apropriation. 

(we could get an AFNSEP # but no funding at this point in time)
Okay... they do it on a job by job basis prior to federal coverage. I'd take their mission number in anticipation of funding & as a method of keeping them up to date on your activities. Not sure what's up with them, but they usually pay for air assessment after almost any kind of disaster, even localized tornados.

AFRCC needs a particular actual missing person, health/safety checks cause the power is out aren't going to make it. That's a state public safety job. They can try now, the state can tell AFRCC they don't have the resources to get thru these elements & check on these people in a timely fashion to prevent anyone freezing to death. That's probably not true, but reasonable enough for them to say, and AFRCC may go for it. I don't know though.

1AF proper won't get involved till it's a federal disaster, and then only because their CC is by law the air component commander for fed disaster areas. Unlike the others, they come in defining the job for themselves & telling you what work they have. I wouldn't worry about them.

isuhawkeye

DNall

That's a great summary of what is, and has been dun. 

Another point of discussion is simply manpower.  The guard can put hundreds of boots on the ground to knock on doors.  My 4-5 ground teams just aren't a large enough force. 

DNall

Roger that... don't get too frustrated, it's the nature of the beast. CAP is just not that capable in reality & the process is a bit of a headache.

Do consider that tapping of CAP-USAF support for liaison roles, even as a second man on the floor. As I said, they can TDY over there w/o mission funding, and would be very helpful in creating mission funding.

isuhawkeye

Thanks for the encouragement.  I am not discouraged at all.  Its the 400 other members of the wing who I feer will be frustrated this week

RiverAux

QuoteRiver,

So far the people who have staffed the SEOC are ICS 200, 300, and 400 trained (fema and national fire academy classes) they also have IS 700, 800, and the EOC interatcion course. 

I am an IC level 2.  my two assistants are GTL, and GBD I also have a Comunit leader running our communications room. 

I was speaking "in general" and not about Iowa in particular.  Glad to see your folks are set.  I know that almost all of the few ICs we have in my Wing have not done any FEMA training to speak of. 

DNall

Quote from: isuhawkeye on February 28, 2007, 08:04:44 PM
Thanks for the encouragement.  I am not discouraged at all.  Its the 400 other members of the wing who I feer will be frustrated this week
400 now, good deal. Yeah make sure you get them some work. There should at least be shelter work right now (cringing at the thought), and there should be the GT health safety stuff & some assessment flying. You should be able to find a little work for everyone over the course of this event & the cleanup. It's not moving mountains, and honestly you may lose some people over that. The best highspeed folks come in & train hard to make a difference & they don't like getting a look at what the reality is when it comes. It's okay, you just have to stay on top of it & keep your people's spirits high. Keep them busy if you can, and if not then keep them informed & don't promise anything.

SAR-EMT1

And just think... I was intending to go from IL over to Camp Dodge for your training session last weekend.  Hmm...I  should have found a way over and put my EMT and GTL training to a real use for CAP -for once-  lol... central Il is too quite.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

TDHenderson

And the fun continues in Iowa.  We are now in the middle of the second major winter storm in less than a week, this time affecting the western and northern portion of the state.  Blizzard conditions previal in the west leading to all major interstates being closed.

We are hunkered down and ready to respond when called upon.

carnold1836

Quotecentral Il is too quite.

My brother is in the IL NG, I'm sure I can get him to make it a little more interesting for you.  >:D
Chris Arnold, 1st Lt, CAP
Pegasus Composite Squadron

Fifinella

Quote from: TDHenderson on March 01, 2007, 04:04:07 PM
And the fun continues in Iowa.  We are now in the middle of the second major winter storm in less than a week, this time affecting the western and northern portion of the state.  Blizzard conditions previal in the west leading to all major interstates being closed.

We are hunkered down and ready to respond when called upon.
Thinking of you guys.  Hope it passes soon, and you don't have flooding later.  Best wishes.
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

SAR-EMT1

C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

isuhawkeye

Well the storms have passed, the roads are open, and the CAPers can return to their mild mannered lives.  We processed lots of requests, and accomplished some positive missions for the state. We should know about a federal proc some time next week, 

Thanks to all who staffed the SEOC for the 7 day operation.

DNall

Make sure you spend some good time with that afteraction & lessons learned, then spend some time debriefing with your POC on the state side to see how you can be better prepared & ready to respond with what they need. Good job.

SAR-EMT1

Love to hear about the AAR and critique.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

Fifinella

Quote from: isuhawkeye on March 05, 2007, 03:24:50 AM
Well the storms have passed, the roads are open, and the CAPers can return to their mild mannered lives. 
In honor of recent events...
Life in the Midwest:

60 above zero:
Floridians turn on the heat.
People in Iowa plant gardens.

50 above zero:
Californians shiver uncontrollably.
People in Cedar Rapids sunbathe.

40 above zero:
Italian & English cars won't start.
People in Iowa drive with the windows down.

32 above zero:
Distilled water freezes.
The water in Des Moines gets thicker.

20 above zero:
Floridians don coats, thermal underwear, gloves, wool hats and socks.
People in Iowa throw on a flannel shirt.

15 above zero:
New York landlords finally turn up the heat.
People in Iowa have the last cookout before it gets cold.

Zero:
People in Miami all die.
Iowans close the windows.

10 below zero:
Californians fly away to Mexico.
People in Iowa get out their winter coats.

25 below zero:
Hollywood disintegrates.
The Girl Scouts in Iowa are selling cookies door to door. (True!)

40 below zero:
Washington DC runs out of hot air.
People in Iowa let the dogs sleep indoors.

100 below zero:
Santa Claus abandons the North Pole.
Iowans get upset because they can't start the Mini-Van.

460 below zero:
ALL atomic motion stops (absolute zero on the Kelvin scale) .
People in Iowa start saying..."Cold 'nuff fer ya?"

and the best one is -

500 below zero:
Hell freezes over.
Iowa public schools will open 2 hours late
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

RogueLeader

You for got one:
540 Below Zero: