CAP Counter Drug in the News

Started by blackrain, August 22, 2012, 05:26:15 PM

Eclipse

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on August 22, 2012, 10:10:11 PM
So why do you insist or at least show a strong preference to call it CN when practically no CAP publication calls it that?

Because CN is what it actually is, and CN does not conflict or confuse with similiar terms within CAP.

"That Others May Zoom"

jayleswo

Because Eclipse is wrong and can't admit it? I don't see the Counterdrug Ribbon in the ribbon rack in his signature indicating, perhaps, a lack of familiarity with the program. I have one with several clasps myself.

To his credit, the program used to be referred to as Counter Narcotic (CN). It was changed to Counterdrug (one word) or, alternatively Counter Drug (two words) several years ago. I'm looking at the card NHQ used to issue (expired in 2008 as they don't issue it any longer, just listed as an Ops Qual now) which refers to the Counter Drug program. The reason it changed is simple. A narcotic is a specific class of drug. MJ is not a narcotic yet is listed in CAPR 60-5 as one of the activities involve din this program so it changed.

-- John

(edited last sentence for OPSEC)
John Aylesworth, Lt Col CAP

SAR/DR MP, Mission Check Pilot Examiner, Master Observer
Earhart #1139 FEB 1982

Eclipse

Quote from: jayleswo on August 22, 2012, 10:17:31 PM
Because Eclipse is wrong and can't admit it? I don't see the Counterdrug Ribbon in the ribbon rack in his signature indicating, perhaps, a lack of familiarity with the program. I have one with several clasps myself.

That must be it...

MJ is, in fact, a narcotic in its natural form, so there's that...

"That Others May Zoom"

jayleswo

Earhart #1139 FEB 1982

Eclipse

You're welcome.

Science disagrees with the DEA.  THC is most certainly a psychoactive, and the textbook definition of a narcotic is a psychoactive substance.

"That Others May Zoom"

Garibaldi

Quote from: Eclipse on August 22, 2012, 10:54:19 PM
You're welcome.

Science disagrees with the DEA.  THC is most certainly a psychoactive, and the textbook definition of a narcotic is a psychoactive substance.

Narcotic: any of a class of substances that blunt the senses, as opium, morphine, belladonna, and alcohol, that in large quantities produce euphoria, stupor, or coma, that when used constantly can cause habituation or addiction, and that are used in medicine to relieve pain, cause sedation, and induce sleep.

I guess marijuana falls under that category.

THC: A compound, C21H30O2, obtained from cannabis or made synthetically, that is the primary intoxicant in marijuana and hashish.

Yep.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Critical AOA

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

jayleswo

Quote from: Eclipse on August 22, 2012, 10:54:19 PM
You're welcome.

I'm sure you can find something on the interwebs which would support that statement but that doesn't make it applicable in this context. Anyway, I provided an authoritative cite, curious to know which source you are referring to?

Regardless, the fact is that the program is now referred to as Counterdrug as referenced in the current program material. Your argument to the contrary in previous posts refer to outdated information. Your edited post which refers to the CAPF 101CN for example. This card was discontinued and replaced with the CAPF 101CD (I have examples of both cards issued to me with dates showing the 10CD superceding the 101CN). The ribbon recognizing participation is called the Counterdrug Ribbon. The regulation under which we operate (CAPR 60-6) is titled CAP Counterdrug Operations, the current nomenclature in Ops Qual is Counterdrug. The current form you submit to apply for the program is titled CAP Counterdrug Application.  Anything referring to CN is old stuff.

Anyway, those involved in the program generally know what it's called. Just trying to correct some misinformation but having a very difficult time of it for some reason.

Earhart #1139 FEB 1982

Critical AOA

Oh there you go, throwing facts around.   :clap:
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Eclipse

Quote from: jayleswo on August 22, 2012, 11:20:17 PMAnyway, those involved in the program generally know what it's called.

Yes, some of them do...

"That Others May Zoom"

jayleswo

Quote from: Eclipse on August 22, 2012, 11:37:20 PM
Quote from: jayleswo on August 22, 2012, 11:20:17 PMAnyway, those involved in the program generally know what it's called.

Yes, some of them do...

Yup, like me for instance.

Earhart #1139 FEB 1982

Eclipse

Quote from: jayleswo on August 23, 2012, 12:04:02 AM

Yes, some of them do...

Great, glad I could correct the misconception for you.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on August 22, 2012, 10:04:36 PM
I already granted they are used interchangeably, many times in the same document.
Then why did you give someone a had time for calling the Counter Drug operation CD.  Yes it is the same CD as Character Development....and the same CD as my Compact Disc, Certificate of Deposite.

You know if you are going to go all Nomunclature Nazi on us....you need to have a better ground to stand on.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

jayleswo

Quote from: Eclipse on August 23, 2012, 12:08:30 AM
Quote from: jayleswo on August 23, 2012, 12:04:02 AM

Yes, some of them do...

Great, glad I could correct the misconception for you.

Huh? What in the world are you talking about? Do you really still think the program isn't named Counterdrug or just trying to have the last word or what?

Earhart #1139 FEB 1982

sarmed1

QuoteThe reason you never talk about covert stuff is because then it isn't covert.

The first rule of fight club is..........

I remeber back in the early 90's (when I first remember the mission coming out) it wa refered to as CN....counter narcotics.  I remember being told the reasoning the switch to CD was the whole "war on drugs" concept; it was a mission to stop all drugs, not just narcotics......
mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

bflynn

You guys are talking about the difference between the english deifinition and the legal definintion.

Under the english definition, a can of beer is a narcotic drug because sufficient appliation produces a sleepy state.  If that's the definition we're using then there are a whole lot of people whose refrigerator at home doesn't mean CAP zero tolerence rules.

Under the legal definition, a narcotic drug is opiate based, including the opiate substitutes.

Once upon a time, narcotic was a generic term to describe all drugs.  But that was changed years ago to avoid exactly this kind of confusion.

None of which is relevant to the fact that I've heard "counter-drug", CD missions and CD many, many time in CAP, but I've never heard the term counter-narcotic or CN until this thread. 

Eclipse

I'm apparently full of it on the issue of the program nomenclature.  I just finished the CD Orientation / Refresher stuff and clearly the terminology used is "Counter Drug".
Granted the presentation still contains a photo of the Smurfsuit and a wing patch on blues, but it is what it is.

http://artofmanliness.com/2013/02/19/how-to-own-up-to-mistakes/

"That Others May Zoom"

Flying Pig

Now you can be part of the secret Counter Drug chat room here on CAPTALK. Nobody is supposed to know about it.  Hit up the moderator to get access.  Just dont tell anyone about it.   >:D

johnnyb47

Quote from: Flying Pig on February 20, 2013, 04:33:49 PM
Now you can be part of the secret Counter Drug chat room here on CAPTALK. Nobody is supposed to know about it.  Hit up the moderator to get access.  Just dont tell anyone about it.   >:D
And there goes that pesky coffee shooter in my nose again.
Thanks.

Incidentally; warm coffee through the nose? Not that bad. Kind of soothing actually.
Capt
Information Technology Officer
Communications Officer

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Eclipse

Quote from: Flying Pig on February 20, 2013, 04:33:49 PM

Awesome - who knew?

Broccoli and rare earth magnets?  (I've already said too much!)

"That Others May Zoom"