Hurricane Irene

Started by Smoothice, August 24, 2011, 08:25:53 PM

jks19714

Good grief.  I know that the East Coast has been lucky with regard to hurricanes for the past couple of years, but come on -- this isn't our first rodeo.

I'm an engineer for a large power utility -- we started our 72 hour lists back on Tuesday.  Routine, we do it before every storm (if we have that much warning).

I would hope that CAP is no different...
Diamond Flight 88
W3JKS/AAT3BF/AAM3EDE/AAA9SL
Assistant Wing Communications Engineer

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Let's all keep calm, prepare and don't self-deploy.

davidsinn

Quote from: phirons on August 25, 2011, 05:13:47 PM
Let's all keep calm, prepare and don't self-deploy.

Do this:

Don't be like the civilian population and do this:

Or this:

Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Huey Driver

My county just got a mandatory evacuation for non-emergency personel... Oh boy.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

power generators, for that 'loose' power? ;-)

SAR-EMT1

What have the East Coast states currently have in the way of staging bases ? Any inland states prepping to send resources to the coast?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

afgeo4

NY Wing has its operations center in Westchester Co, which is in the impacted area, but on high ground, away from water and in a large brick building. I believe they moved their aircraft away from Long Island and I know the NYC van is being moved to higher ground tomorrow morning.

We're ready. Bring it on!
GEORGE LURYE

Capination

Quote from: afgeo4 on August 26, 2011, 06:20:33 PM
NY Wing has its operations center in Westchester Co, which is in the impacted area, but on high ground, away from water and in a large brick building. I believe they moved their aircraft away from Long Island and I know the NYC van is being moved to higher ground tomorrow morning.

Good. But just in case, if Irene makes it to NY as a Cat. III hurricane, stay away from the "brick" walls. I survived Andrew (Fl- 1992) and Georges (PR- 1998) and I've seen how easy Cat III's blew away not only brick walls but cement block walls too, crushed like Styrofoam.  :o (though Andrew was a compact Cat V).

JayT

Quote from: Capination on August 26, 2011, 09:45:39 PM

Good. But just in case, if Irene makes it to NY as a Cat. III hurricane, stay away from the "brick" walls. I survived Andrew (Fl- 1992) and Georges (PR- 1998) and I've seen how easy Cat III's blew away not only brick walls but cement block walls too, crushed like Styrofoam.  :o (though Andrew was a compact Cat V).

It's gonna hit as a Cat 1. I'm firmly in the path. I got called in for twelve hours Sat overnight at my 911 gig, then I'm at my normal transport gig on Sunday. Should be a completely disaster.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on August 25, 2011, 10:31:17 PM
What have the East Coast states currently have in the way of staging bases ? Any inland states prepping to send resources to the coast?
Westover ARB, MA has been designated as the FEMA Region 1 Incident Support Base, with about 105 tractor trailer trucks (filled with bottled water, generators, tarps, food, and other emergency supplies) arriving today and tomorrow.

All C5 aircraft have been evacuated from the base to FL & OH, but will also be tasked to fly in supplies to certain areas from the deployed bases. 

I would suspect that CAP aircraft will be operating out of this base, depending upon how other geographic areas are affected by wind & rain (flooding) and utilities availability, as well as other airports runways and support buildings damage.
RM   

Thrashed

Weather channel is showing it hitting NJ/NY as just less than CAT 1. That is 70 MPH.

Category 1. Winds of 74 to 95 miles per hour.
Damage primarily to shrubbery, trees, foliage, and mobile homes. No real wind damage to other structures. Some damage to poorly constructed signs. Low-lying coastal roads inundated, minor pier damage, some small craft in exposed anchorage torn from moorings.

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.  ;)

Save the triangle thingy

Major Lord

Quote from: JThemann on August 26, 2011, 11:37:45 PM

It's gonna hit as a Cat 1. I'm firmly in the path. I got called in for twelve hours Sat overnight at my 911 gig, then I'm at my normal transport gig on Sunday. Should be a completely disaster.

Bring spare uniforms, socks and underwear....during the Oakland Hills fire I wore the same stinky, smokey, uniform for 5 days until I could steal a set of scrubs and worked in those until I was well into the hallucination range of sleeplessness. Good luck.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Persona non grata

Quote from: Eclipse on August 24, 2011, 11:18:50 PM
Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on August 24, 2011, 10:05:41 PM...so will be in the command & control bunker starting on Thursday. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtzOhJ3mR8U

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa  RM make sure you let the people in the comand center that you are CIVIL air vpatrol
Rock, Flag & Eagle.........

JayT

Quote from: Major Lord on August 27, 2011, 02:52:14 AM
Quote from: JThemann on August 26, 2011, 11:37:45 PM

Bring spare uniforms, socks and underwear....during the Oakland Hills fire I wore the same stinky, smokey, uniform for 5 days until I could steal a set of scrubs and worked in those until I was well into the hallucination range of sleeplessness. Good luck.

Major Lord
Thanks for the advice Major. I got called into my transport gig for a Tour 1.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: eaker.cadet on August 27, 2011, 03:39:46 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on August 24, 2011, 11:18:50 PM
Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on August 24, 2011, 10:05:41 PM...so will be in the command & control bunker starting on Thursday. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtzOhJ3mR8U

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa  RM make sure you let the people in the comand center that you are CIVIL air vpatrol
Actually there's two "bunkers" (yes from the cold war days) in the state.  The FEMA Region 1 bunker and the state Emergency Management bunker.  These are below ground facilities (with a bit of a "hump" showing above ground), with generators, own water/food supplies,  on site radio systems (and linking radio systems via microwave), etc.  Civil Air Patrol has representatives both at the FEMA bunker Region 1 (likely representing lst AF for Disaster relief coordination with all New England CAP wings and AF/AF Reserve support) and the state bunker (CAP personnel per the state MOA). 

Ground support wise in the state, over 500 Army/AF National Guard personnel have been called up for duty, so likely that will be the primary support, with not much CAP ground team involvement.    Civil Air Patrol in the state will be primarily providing photo & personnel recon type service via the aircraft fleet with appropriate command & control via selected ground radio stations (air/ground).  I would also think that CAP's HF SSB/ALE radio system will act as a backup in case of any telecomm failure.

Uniform wise, I would think that personnel would wear what is comfortable for them, and generally in the state emergency management bunker, short sleeve golf shirts are the norm that is worn by state personnel, so perhaps CAP might do the same and generally the National Guard military rep wears their appropriate utility uniform. 

RM     

EMT-83

CTWG has relocated aircraft inland and hangered them. Squadrons near the shore are securing their facilities - vehicles, comm gear, etc. are being relocated.

We've been tasked to the state EOC, and an IC has been assigned. Mission base, air and ground team rosters are being compiled. Photo missions are expected to be airborne at first light Monday morning, based on the current storm track.

We've been training hard, so hopefully everything will fall into place as it should.

Luis R. Ramos

New York City made a call for CAP volunteers to help staff a) volunteer processing center Mon, Tue, and Wed and b) process calls for assistance Tue and Wed.

Plan to attend the volunteer processing center...

Take care,

Flyer333555

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

mjbernier

Good luck and Godspeed to all of you called up for duty in Irene's path.

Mike
1st Lt Michael Bernier
Information Technology Officer & Public Affairs Officer
Texoma Composite Squadron TX-262
Denison, TX
http://captexoma.org

jpizzo127

It looks like Irene will not require our responce here on Long Island.

Oh well, off to my paying job.
JOSEPH PIZZO, Captain, CAP