Emergency Lights on Vehicles

Started by DBlair, October 01, 2010, 06:14:59 PM

EMT-83

I think we've established that it's against 77-1 to run "code", unless that's what you would call driving around with flashing yellow lights.

Interesting that those of us who actually operate emergency vehicles are in agreement that this is a bad idea. Whoever wrote the policy seems to have gotten it right.

RiverAux

I don't recall anyone actually suggesting in this thread that blue lights and "running code" be authorized for CAP. 

wuzafuzz

I don't know about the rest of you, but I won't stop until my Third Responder/SAR/storm chasing/grocery getting/4x4 family truckster looks like this.  ;D

Of course I'm kidding.  I only have two antennas on my truck and that looks funny to me.

"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

Krapenhoeffer

Well, the only other use of a lightbar is that which the State Patrol specifically asked us to do with our vehicles...

In addition to the wonderful lightbar, we were given these strobe-like things that they put on the roof of the vehicle, which are only visible from above. On the road, it looks like a normal white van with weird stickers all around it, but from the air, we light up like a <insert winter holiday here> tree.

Very useful at 2 in the morning.
Proud founding member of the Fellowship of the Vuvuzela.
"And now we just take our Classical Mechanics equations, take the derivative, run it through the uncertainty principal, and take the anti-derivative of the resulting mess. Behold! Quantum Wave Equations! Clear as mud cadets?"
"No... You just broke math law, and who said anything about the anti-derivative? You can obtain the Schrödinger wave equations algebraically!" The funniest part was watching the cadets staring at the epic resulting math fight.

HGjunkie

Quote from: Krapenhoeffer on October 04, 2010, 08:08:39 PM
Well, the only other use of a lightbar is that which the State Patrol specifically asked us to do with our vehicles...

In addition to the wonderful lightbar, we were given these strobe-like things that they put on the roof of the vehicle, which are only visible from above. On the road, it looks like a normal white van with weird stickers all around it, but from the air, we light up like a <insert winter holiday here> tree.

Very useful at 2 in the morning.
That'll be sure to wake the pilot up!   :P
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

RRLE

The USCG policy for USCG Auxiies is prohibitive of using any lights on an Auxie owned vehicle, other then the standard ones that came with the vehicle.

Operatons Policy Manual (OpsPolMan) 3.F.4. Vehicle Markings

QuoteLaw enforcement lights may not be mounted or used in any way on a vehicle engaged in Auxiliary activities. Public safety lights may not be energized while engaged in Auxiliary activities. Law enforcement or public safety identifying stripes or markings may not be displayed while assigned to duty.

The reason for the strict prohibition is that many moons ago, the Aux had a problem with both its boats and its land mobile units going "Code" when they had no legal right or authority to do so.  Notice that Auxies cannot even energize a safety light once they get to "the scene" and park. Years ago, some Auxies objected to that rule and stated that local LE told them to use a safety light. The answer from Nat Aux was that if that was a local requirement then Auxies could not do the mission. Local LE or local anyone cannot trump USCG policy for the Aux. The Aux, in certain areas, most notably the NY/NJ area has a recurring problem with getting its members to remove the illegal blue lights from the members boats.

Auxie boats are allowed the use of a public safety ID light. And the use of that is limited.

OpsPolMan 4.E.12. Public Safety Vessel ID Light (bolding added)

QuoteThe pilot rules allow use of an optional alternately flashing red and yellow (amber) light by public safety vessels engaged in public safety activities. The use of the light serves only as an identification signal and conveys no special privileges. Vessels using the identification light during public safety activities must abide by the Navigation Rules and must not presume that the light or the nature of the activity (emergency or otherwise) gives them precedence or right of way to complete the activity.

For sake of completness and the discussion, some additiional rules & regs regarding the boat light.

OpsPolMan 4.E.12.a. Optional Use

QuoteThe public safety vessel ID light is optional for Auxiliary vessel facilities. Absence of this light does not affect the Auxiliary facility's certification to perform operational missions unless it is required by the Coast Guard unit commander. Purchase of the public safety vessel ID light is the responsibility of the facility owner – unless it is otherwise required by the Operational Commander, who would provide an ID light for the ordered mission.

OpsPolMan 4.E.12.b. Light Use Allowed

QuoteAuxiliary vessel facilities may use the public safety vessel ID light while under orders in the following situations:
• When patrolling regattas and marine events.
• When helping Coast Guard forces in maintaining security zones during such events as shuttle launches and hazardous cargo transfers.
• When needed for brief periods of identification of the Auxiliary facility. These periods include helping a boat in distress locate the Auxiliary facility during a SAR case, warning boats away from a hazardous situation, or when SAR activity takes place within the boundaries of regattas, marine events, or security zones.

OpsPolMan 4.E.12.c. Light Use Prohibited

QuoteAn Auxiliary vessel facility may not display the public safety vessel ID under the following circumstances:
• As a towing light (see paragraph E.11 of this section for guidance on towing lights).
• During the prosecution of a SAR case, except as authorized above.

Auxies are prohibited in several places in the OpsPolMan from ever using blue LE lights on the water (or anywhere else).

PhotogPilot

Quote from: CommGeek on October 02, 2010, 09:47:33 PM
I think we all need red and blue lights...and national should issue us all Glock's too....

No Tupperware guns for me, make mine a 1911a1 or a M9 :)

Major Lord

I had a code three drive from Petaluma California to San Francisco (across the deadly golden gate bridge, which they would shut down for Code 3 traffic before they had movable barriers) with a patient who required full blast heat in summer time, a staff of medical people all in gowns and masks ( including me ) and trying to copy lab values over the radio while driving in Bay area traffic. Fun? Not so much.......Those amber rotators are pretty handy when you want to pass stopped traffic on the shoulder though. Technically, not permissible.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

zonaman

In AZ, the state allows the use of white/amber any where on the vehicle, and red only in the rear of the vehicle, they can be strobe and you can have your head, tail, and blinker lights set up with a strobe option for vehicles that are used for construction, land scapeing, and SAR. The UDF teams I have been a part of have NEVER used their lights while driving, only when on the side of the road, airports, and AF base flightlines. I agree that CAP should never need to run at a code 3. Maybe and I mean MAYBE during a disaster could e-lights be used while driving.

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

zonaman

Major Lord

Quote from: crazyLt on October 07, 2010, 01:24:18 AM
oops, Sory I ment maybe

Just......can't........take....it.....anymore...........

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

FlyTiger77

Quote from: crazyLt on October 07, 2010, 01:24:18 AM
oops, Sory I ment maybe

Contrary to popular belief, the "Spell Check" button is actually quite painless when pushed.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

Fubar

Quote from: crazyLt on October 07, 2010, 12:36:14 AMI agree that CAP should never need to run at a code 3. Maybe and I mean MAYBE during a disaster could e-lights be used while driving.
One amusing thing about the response to Hurricane Katrina is everybody, and I mean EVERYBODY had flashing lights on their cars while zipping around. Various out-of-area LE vehicles, the red cross, a bunch of volunteer "disaster response" groups I hadn't heard of, and heck even a bunch of ham radio operators. How special can you feel having blinking lights when everybody else has them too?

Not that traffic was really an issue anyway.

a2capt

Quote from: Fubar on October 07, 2010, 03:15:56 AMNot that traffic was really an issue anyway.
OTOH - If you didn't have lights, they wouldn't see you to shoot at you ;-)

zonaman

Quote from: Fubar on October 07, 2010, 03:15:56 AM
One amusing thing about the response to Hurricane Katrina is everybody, and I mean EVERYBODY had flashing lights on their cars while zipping around. Various out-of-area LE vehicles, the red cross, a bunch of volunteer "disaster response" groups I hadn't heard of, and heck even a bunch of ham radio operators. How special can you feel having blinking lights when everybody else has them too?

Not that traffic was really an issue anyway.

If you don't have flashing lights on your car, your not in the "Flashing Light Club" ;D

SARPilotNY

If CAP really wanted to increase their membership they would allow us to have red and blue lightbars, sirens, badges and guns. 
I bet our membership would double...just think of all that free visibility!
CAP member 30 + years SAR Pilot, GTM, Base staff

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret