Service Cap Question

Started by Capmonkey, June 06, 2019, 03:05:00 PM

Capmonkey

Hey, guys!
     I had a quick question regarding the men's officer service cap. CAPM 39-1, paragraph 6.2.1, states " Will only be worn with the service dress and service uniforms by officers, NCOs and cadet officers." As I'm a C/Lt Col, I happen to own one, and have only really worn it with my Class A's. With the section regarding service uniforms, would class B's (short sleeved blues and tie) fall into this category? Thanks for the help!

C/Lt Col Capmonkey

Eclipse

Yes, you can wear it with class Bs.  This is unusual but no unheard of.

We used to do it all the time to emulate the Navy's appearance when holding activities
on base, as they wear it with their class-b equivalent uniforms.

Not so much the USAF.

The bus driver hat is generally considered more formal then the appearance of the class Bs.

They are >very< handy, however with a rain cover on wet days, vs. the flight caps which are
essentially a sponge.

"That Others May Zoom"

Capmonkey

Thanks, sir. I know it's unheard of, and not exactly customary, but I was just curious. I have an event this weekend that is Class B's, so I was wondering if I should bring my wheel cap, or my flight cap. Thanks for the help!

PHall

Okay, the Smart A answer would be you're a C/Lt Col, you should know this....

But, since I'm having a good morning today I'll be nice. >:D

Go look at CAPM 39-1. The service uniforms, aka Class B's, are the short and long sleeve blue uniforms.
The tie is required for the long sleeve shirt and is optional with the short sleeve shirt.

You would probably be the only one wearing a service cap. Are we trying to stand out or something?

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on June 06, 2019, 03:09:04 PM
Yes, you can wear it with class Bs.  This is unusual but no unheard of.

We used to do it all the time to emulate the Navy's appearance when holding activities
on base, as they wear it with their class-b equivalent uniforms.

Not so much the USAF.

The bus driver hat is generally considered more formal then the appearance of the class Bs.

They are >very< handy, however with a rain cover on wet days, vs. the flight caps which are
essentially a sponge.

Enlisted personnel and Officers below the grade of Major are not required to own a Service Cap in the Air Force.
Which explains why you don't see them...

Capmonkey

Quote from: Capmonkey on June 06, 2019, 03:05:00 PM
Hey, guys!
     I had a quick question regarding the men's officer service cap. CAPM 39-1, paragraph 6.2.1, states " Will only be worn with the service dress and service uniforms by officers, NCOs and cadet officers." As I'm a C/Lt Col, I happen to own one, and have only really worn it with my Class A's. With the section regarding service uniforms, would class B's (short sleeved blues and tie) fall into this category? Thanks for the help!

C/Lt Col Capmonkey

I can counter your Smart A answer by saying I looked in the regs before I asked the question, and searched here before. I was fairly confident, but wanted to check. I'm well aware of the wear of both Class A's and B's. Thanks.

NIN

And I think this has been asked and answered.

Phil, calm yourself before applying fingers to keyboard.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.