official "I'm here!" thread.

Started by whatevah, March 24, 2005, 04:52:08 AM

Treadhead

Hello all

My name is Walt Lott.  It's been almost 27 years since I last wore a CAP uniform, and reading the posts on this forum takes me way back...

I started as a cadet back in 1975 (that was when we still wore stripes on the sleeves) -- I stayed on for about a year and dropped out because of school.  I came back in as an SM at the age of 18.  Back then, we didn't have the FO grades for under 21'ers.  Instead we had Warrant Officer grades.

Later on, I graduated from Army ROTC as a 2LT, and held the same grade in CAP.  I remained in CAP for another 7 years, and left the organization when I became employed full time.

Since, I retired from the Army Reserve after 24 years (spent time in the National Guard and active for a period as well).   Recently I joined the CSMR (California State Military Reserve) which is California's State Defense Force.

About CAP -- my time in Civil Air Patrol taught me a lot about military life.  Not just about C&C, but about honor, dedication, committment and loyalty.  Valuable life lessons.   I'd say without a doubt that CAP had a lot to do with who I am today.   (I'm hoping that's a good thing  ;D)
Walter F. Lott
1st Lt (CAP) ret
LTC, USAR (ret)
Lt Col, California State Military Reserve
Former member of Mather Cadet Sq. 14 and McClellan Cadet Sq. 12

Stonewall

Quote from: Treadhead on January 28, 2013, 07:10:46 PM
About CAP -- my time in Civil Air Patrol taught me a lot about military life.  Not just about C&C, but about honor, dedication, committment and loyalty.  Valuable life lessons.   I'd say without a doubt that CAP had a lot to do with who I am today.   (I'm hoping that's a good thing  ;D)

Good to have you back on board. 

I agree with everything in your last paragraph.  CAP absolutely forged my future in more ways than one.  Not just as a cadet, but in my younger senior member years too.
Serving since 1987.

jimjetjock

Greetings and Salutations:

I'm a retired USAF Fighter Pilot in San Marcos CA with a PA-140 that might as well be retired as well -- since I don't fly it much. I was a CAP Cadet 55 years ago, and really profited by the experience. I'm eager to get started and am shopping around for a flying club.

Check Six
Jim Thomes

RogueLeader

Thank you for your service, and welcome to CapTalk.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Marky Mark

Hullo. My name is Marky Mark...and I'm a CAPaholic...

Pylon

Quote from: Marky Mark on February 13, 2013, 07:45:33 AM
Hullo. My name is Marky Mark...and I'm a CAPaholic...

No you're not.  You're Airman de Ruiter.  Thanks for playing, though.  You can find another board to troll.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Майор Хаткевич

The Infamous Meerkat

Helloooooo!

I've been lurking for a while, figured I better make a profile so I can ask questions, make erroneous statements, Counter assault local terrorists like De Ruiter, and so forth.  >:D

I just got out of the Marine Corps as a Corporal. I worked on Aviation Comm/Nav/SecureComm equipment and did a tour in Afghanistan. Had a good time  8). I rejoined CAP at the end of my enlistment, just made 2LT recently and am working on all my Radio Certs so I can turn on the dusty old radio in the back room of our squadron building.

With my history known, let my reign of terror commence.  >:D
Captain Kevin Brizzi, CAP
SGT, USMC
Former C/TSgt, CAP
Former C/MAJ, Army JROTC

a2capt

Gonna make a return trip to building 226 this June? :)

The Infamous Meerkat

Nahhhh. . . I'm a poor college student nowadays. . .  :-\
Who be you?  :D
Captain Kevin Brizzi, CAP
SGT, USMC
Former C/TSgt, CAP
Former C/MAJ, Army JROTC

J2H

Hello. My name is Jeffrey. I am a Security Officer at Maryland Masonic Homes in Cockeysville.  I am joining a squadron in Harford County.  I served 9 years on active duty with the Air Force Security Forces.  Looking to do a track as Emergency Services officer.
SSgt Jeffrey Hughes, Squadron NCO
Glenn L. Martin Composite Squadron MD-031

Stonewall

Serving since 1987.

J2H

capgirl

Hello!

I'm new to the Civil Air Patrol. I was originally interested in aerial photography, so I thought the Civil Air Patrol might be a good fit. I've been a member of GA 157 for one week  ;D, and I am enjoying it.

I had also taken an interest in joining because I was under the impression that you could learn web designing (at least the little pamphlet said you could). Is there anything that can be learned at the CAP concerning web design?

Also, I was wondering. I've registered with E-services and I've been completing the electives. Is there any kind of reward/ribbon for doing that? :)

Thank you!!!!!!
I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do. - Helen Keller

Huey Driver

Quote from: capgirl on February 18, 2013, 02:35:13 AM
Hello!

I'm new to the Civil Air Patrol. I was originally interested in aerial photography, so I thought the Civil Air Patrol might be a good fit. I've been a member of GA 157 for one week  ;D, and I am enjoying it.

I had also taken an interest in joining because I was under the impression that you could learn web designing (at least the little pamphlet said you could). Is there anything that can be learned at the CAP concerning web design?

Also, I was wondering. I've registered with E-services and I've been completing the electives. Is there any kind of reward/ribbon for doing that? :)

Thank you!!!!!!

Welcome to CAP!

Most basic requirement to become part of an aircrew and work towards Airborne Photographer or Mission Scanner is the age requirement of 18. So if you're a cadet, you'll most likely have to wait some time.

As for webpage design, CAP isn't really a great place to come searching for that. The majority of squadrons have IT's and Public Affairs personnel or other Senior Members who have expertise in the field, so you'll have to find out at your squadron if there's any opportunity to learn some web design or assist the Senior Member in the field.

Lastly, no ribbons for going through all the initial tests. But don't worry; the ribbons will come fast and furious once you start promoting and get more involved.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

Майор Хаткевич

What pamphlet talked about learning web design?

cantthinkof1

capgirl

@ JerseyCadet - Thank you for answering my questions. :)

@ usafaux2004 - It really wasn't a "pamphlet", seeing as how it was just one piece of about 4 by 11 inch cardstock that had a brief description about what the CAP had to offer. :)
I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do. - Helen Keller

J2H

I attended my first meeting again since the early 90s.  Went well I think!

BHartman007

Hello all!
I've been reading the forums for a little while, and decided I might as well join in.

My name is Brandon, and I'm currently in the "attend 4 meetings before you can apply to join" phase of application to the Ellington Composite Squadron in Houston, TX. I'm a couple of months away from finishing the private pilot's license I started almost seven years ago. All I can really offer CAP is an unbridled passion for aviation and a willingness to jump in and help out, but I suppose you have to start somewhere.

Wing Assistant Director of Administration
Squadron Deputy Commander for Cadets