Cadets....

Started by Stephanie Allen, February 03, 2006, 07:57:13 PM

flyguy06

Not realy my young cadet. My Squadron has 10 cadets and all are cadet Airman and below, so my Cadet Commander and Flight Sergeants are both cadet Airmen. It happens but it doesnt really matter  Cadet rank is temporary. Its a Training rank. It deosnt really mean much. I would rotate cadets in various positions. The whole purposeof the cadet program is to expose cadets to leadership. SO in order to do that I may have one guy as CC this month and another next month and rotate to give everyone the experience. Once I get the new cadets experienced I would leave them in the ir respective positions a little longer

ZigZag911

Quote from: MIKE on October 08, 2006, 06:43:06 PM
Quote from: afgeo4 on October 08, 2006, 05:31:39 PM
Mike, I really suggest that this be the last time you use the word "cadidiots" either online or in person.  I am a Senior Member and have never been a Cadet , but even I feel that you're WAY out of line here, buddy.

I have been a CAP cadet, I know what cadets are like... I meant it as good natured ribbing, nothing more. 

I have also been a cadet, and am asking that you refrain from using the 'cadidiots' expression -- I'm sure you mean it  as good-natured kidding, but generally it is used condescendingly by seniors who have never been cadets themselves.

It is, in fact, demeaning to our cadets, and the cadet program as a whole.

arajca

"Cadidiots", at least as I have seen it used, refers to those cadets who had demonstrated their idiocy as a direct result of cadethood. I haven't seen it used to refer to the CAP cadet corps in general. I too, am a former cadet (occasionally, a former cadidiot), and I have even heard other cadets using the term. It is no different than saying "That idiot in CAP".

ZigZag911

Quote from: arajca on October 12, 2006, 12:22:04 AM
"Cadidiots", at least as I have seen it used, refers to those cadets who had demonstrated their idiocy as a direct result of cadethood. I haven't seen it used to refer to the CAP cadet corps in general. I too, am a former cadet (occasionally, a former cadidiot), and I have even heard other cadets using the term. It is no different than saying "That idiot in CAP".

It may well not be intended to be generally applied, but it is often taken that way.

Besides, we're supposed to be training the cadets and setting an example....an officer who calls his cadets 'cadidiots' is no better than a teacher or a coach who resorts to calling players or students names.

Matt

Quote from: ZigZag911 on October 12, 2006, 03:52:01 AM
[...]an officer who calls his cadets 'cadidiots' is no better than a teacher or a coach who resorts to calling players or students names.

But we could put it on the backs of T-Shirts (as long as we don't wear them in uniform).

But, to get back on topic:

I believe that cadets should be treated by both maturity and by grade.  I've run into C/Col's who sat back while things were run under them, whereas, I've seen C/Sara step up to the plate above C/1 Lt's.  It's all a matter of training the cadets to accept the jobs and the responsibilities that coincide.
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

ZigZag911

Quote from: Matt on October 12, 2006, 04:37:25 PM

But, to get back on topic:

I believe that cadets should be treated by both maturity and by grade.  I've run into C/Col's who sat back while things were run under them, whereas, I've seen C/Sara step up to the plate above C/1 Lt's.  It's all a matter of training the cadets to accept the jobs and the responsibilities that coincide.
[/quote]

On this, we certainly are in agreement.

MIKE

Quote from: CAPR 52-161-6. a. Cadet Staff. The cadet staff is part of the organizational structure shown in CAPR 20-1, Organization of Civil Air Patrol. Unit commanders may keep cadet command and staff positions vacant until such time as cadets obtain appropriate grades and maturity.

Quote from: CAPR 52-162-4. c. Retaining a Cadet in Grade. Commanders should retain a cadet in grade if the cadet's performance or maturity does not demonstrate an ability to accept increased responsibility commensurate with the promotion. Using the CAPF 50, Cadet Leadership Feedback, the commander (or deputy commander) will offer constructive feedback to help the cadet develop his/her leadership skills. The commander must also schedule a follow-up review to be held within 60 days.

Emphasis added.
Mike Johnston

flyguy06

Quote from: arajca on October 12, 2006, 12:22:04 AM

But thats probably not a good thing to say either. We as mentors are supposed to be guiding these young people In a positive direction. not teaching them to use derogatory words toward each other. It may be done in fun, but it sets a bad precedence. Do we as adults really want to teach young people to call each other idiots?