The Squadron or Group Flight Operations Officer

Started by flyguy06, July 03, 2007, 04:43:49 AM

flyguy06

I posted this question in this area because this NOT an ES question.

What is the role of the Squadron Flight Operations officer. Let me say it again, I am NOT talking about a mission guy. I am talking about a regular composite, cadet,or senior squadron.

I am looking at getting a specialty track in Flight Opersations. I have been on the Cadet Programs side for so long and I want to add something new to my record. I am a commercial pilot. I am soon to be a CFI. So, what does the flight ops offer do on there squadron and/or Group level? Thanks in advance

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

flyguy06

Yes, I have read them. Thats what made me comehere. They talk about the qualifications to get a Tech, Senior, and Master rating. They do not go over the job description at the unit level

Eclipse

I can tell you what they do for me.

Since I am not a pilot, I have no first-hand knowledge or what is required, both FAA & CAP for
pilots, yet I have to sign off on a lot of thiings like Forms 5's, etc.

My Flight Ops guys are my experts that know the program, fly regularly, and advise me when I have to
approve something that its kosher.

"That Others May Zoom"

IceNine

I also recommend looking throught CAPR 20-1 if there is not already a strong Ops Staff in your squadron/group you will probably be multi-hatted as Ops, Stan/Eval, etc...

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

RiverAux

Usually they end up being the primary flight release officer for the unit, keep the pilot records, and often are in charge of maintenance.  This will vary depending on how your Wing handles certain operations and how many people you have actively working in Operations at the squadron or group level.