Unknown unknowns — the ones we don't know we don't know

Started by Eclipse, April 01, 2019, 09:01:54 PM

Eclipse

"...as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns;
that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns — the ones we don't know we don't know...

Donald Rumsfeld

As we are through RST and rolling straight into encampment at the end of the month, it's
become apparent (again), that many of our otherwise excellent cadets actually
struggle in retaining the most basic cadet knowledge, not to mention information that
they probably never get directly because everyone in the room assumes "they know".
This in many cases, goes for seniors as well.

Here are some fun experiments.

Ask your cadets who the Commander is.
In far too many cases the answer will be either the Cadet Commander, one of the deputies, or crickets.

Ask them if they have their CC's contact information.
This was one of the key pieces of information that held up cadet registrations (as it has in years past),
and is not necessarily easily available to the average cadet or mom.
(For that matter ask them if they know what "CC" stands for, or any of the other CMJ we throw around.
I've had many over the years fail to act or send needed info because they were embarrassed they didn't know
what this or that initialism or acronym actually meant.)

Ask them to log into eServices and download their MSR as a .PDF.
We required MSRs this year for staff apps and students and have found them to be invaluable,
especially for cadets from other wings.  Many, many (seniors too), had no idea this even existed
and struggled even with detailed instructions.  Worse, far too many cadets had no idea what their
eservices password even was
, nor how to recover it, and seemed lost as to where to go for help.
(Those of us with a few reps on the RSR know this is an indication of other issues around testing
internet access, comprehension, etc., etc.)

This is baseline information, yet I know from personal experience this is an issue across many squadrons
and echelons.  One easily fixed but often ignored.

Seriously, the word "leadership" is in about every third sentence CAP writes, yet a large portion of the
membership don't even know who the leaders actually are, or what the heck it is they do.

Next, prior to encampment every CC should be running their students, and frankly all the cadets, through
one of these (maybe even periodically).

Initial Cadet Assessment:
https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/Cadet_Assessment_97E8EA097AD07.pdf

Encampments are required to perform these on entry and exit of the activity to gauge the
level of knowledge of the wing and whether they had any impact on the students.
Many will also use these scores, or the knowledge within them, towards honor cadet, flight, etc.

To be fair, encampments see a lot of wet Currys who were approved on the ride in and
have barely gotten past their orientation meetings (whether those cadets should even be there is
a separate conversation).

For those new cadets, encampment will help reenforce their program knowledge, drill, uniforms, etc.,
however considering that encampments get Chiefs in flights as students, it can be flabbergasting
when those cadets struggle with knowledge work they should basically see in their sleep by the time
the 2-some years to ACH 8 have elapsed.  You might also be disappointed occasionally to see a diamond
struggle with these questions, which obviously points to bigger problems.

The entirety of the encampment curriculum is available online and is not a secret by any means.
Encampments are not BMT or BCT. They are reinforcement of the training a student should be getting
at the home squadron and wing.
https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/programs/cadets/activities/encampment/encampment-curriculum

Many Unit CC's view encampments as "that thing they do downstate that has nothing to do with us", etc.,
or even have animosity towards them because "They take all the cadets away in the summer."
when in fact a robust encampment environment in the wing that encourages and even stresses ongoing
participation will make for a demonstrably better cadet cadre and much more well prepared cadets overall.

Honestly, if encampment and NCSAs aren't discussed from day 1 of membership and mentioned at least once
a month with more then an "optional" tone, you're doing your cadets, and the organization as a whole, a
disservice.  This is the only opportunity most cadets and seniors get to see the "real" CAP at anything
close to the scale and proper execution insinuated in the brochures.

I would encourage all Unit CC's and CP-involved seniors to familiarize themselves with the expectations and
curriculum, and consider having either "encampment prep nights" or just sprinkle in the information
over the natural course of conversations during the whole year, but especially in the next couple of months.

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

Kudos. I'm passing this onto my First Sergeant and Flight Commander.

xyzzy

Speaking of unknown unknows, eServices typically only shows a user the actions he/she is authorized to perform, unlike some other systems which shows unauthorized actions in grey. So the unauthorized user doesn't even know the action exists, so will not seek permission or training related to the action.

What is an MSR? I don't see anything in eServices like that.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Why do you need their MSR? Seems to be a bit of overkill to me considering that you have all the information you need on the CAP Forms 31, 160, 161 and 162. All of which are required already.

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on April 03, 2019, 01:10:33 AM
Why do you need their MSR? Seems to be a bit of overkill to me considering that you have all the information you need on the CAP Forms 31, 160, 161 and 162. All of which are required already.

See the OP.

For starters you're assuming that those forms are filled out completely and accurately.

FWIW, a 162 is not a required encampment form.

"That Others May Zoom"

Holding Pattern

Quote from: PHall on April 03, 2019, 01:10:33 AM

Honestly, among other things it forces the cadet, parents, and squadron to acknowledge that it exists and that it is the repository of almost all information regarding their CAP life.

If the cadet logs in and sees their achievements are missing after being coached that the MSR is not just the Member Search Report but the Master Service Record, they suddenly care a lot more (as do SMs!)

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"