official "I'm here!" thread.

Started by whatevah, March 24, 2005, 04:52:08 AM

Commo

Quote from: Simplex on May 17, 2017, 03:50:41 PM
Welcome, and congratulations ...  Thank you for your service.

Thank you for all that you do, will do, or should do for the community, both in CAP or outside.

I received an LES and some VA benefits for my service (and is not why I served anyway).  Those in CAP, and others who volunteer in service to others, do so on their own dime and their families' risk.  There's a lot to be said for that... which I don't have the wordsmithing skills to express.

Commo

TX CAP Mom

Hi everyone! I'm a mom helping her 12yo son brand new to CAP. We have a zillion questions and are finding answers digging around here and various CAP sites. (Searching before asking!) My C/Am is super motivated and got his Curry in about 30 days. Right now we are waiting on his order from Vanguard to get his uniforms complete and he'll really feel ready to go. He joined because he loves all things planes and flying but has found he really loves the military aspect. We are postponing encampment until Winter here in TX, so that will be his next big hurdle beyond continuing to study and advance. We have a great group in Apollo Composite Squadron in Georgetown TX!

etodd

Quote from: TX CAP Mom on May 29, 2017, 04:08:13 PM
Hi everyone! I'm a mom helping her 12yo son brand new to CAP. We have a zillion questions and are finding answers digging around here and various CAP sites.

Welcome to CAP!  A great org that is helping grow tomorrow's leaders, but you already know that.

My only advice to your specific question is to be fully aware that this forum is NOT official CAP, so take any and all answers and info you get here with a grain of salt.

Please DO feel free to ask your local Squadron folks all the questions you have. While CAP nationally is fairly consistent, each Squadron is different on many things.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

jfkspotting

Is anyone here from NY wing?

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: jfkspotting on May 30, 2017, 10:57:34 PM
Is anyone here from NY wing?

Let's not be duplicating posts. You also asked this in its own thread. Keep in mind that you might not get same hour, or even same day responses. Patience, Padawan.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

jimmy73

H gang! Im jimmy Powell a returning SM from Alabama Wing sq. 132 just wantd to say hello and look forwrd to meeting new freinds.

etodd

Quote from: jimmy73 on June 26, 2017, 07:33:47 PM
H gang! Im jimmy Powell a returning SM from Alabama Wing sq. 132 just wantd to say hello and look forwrd to meeting new freinds.

Welcome back.  I'm not far from you. How long was your break?

jimmy73

etodd

Quote from: jimmy73 on June 26, 2017, 08:02:08 PM
12 or 13 years

Great!  Looking forward to meeting you at a SAREX or other event soon. :)

jimmy73

yes sir.. I beleive there is a Commanders Call on the 15th.. i was planning to b there

Commo

jimmy73

Good luck to you all I'll b leaving the forum apparently I'm not welcome here . Best of luck to everyone!

THRAWN

Quote from: jimmy73 on June 27, 2017, 08:24:04 AM
Good luck to you all I'll b leaving the forum apparently I'm not welcome here . Best of luck to everyone!

Why? You asked some questions, got some answers...
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Pylon

Quote from: jimmy73 on June 27, 2017, 08:24:04 AM

I just reviewed every thread you've participated in and found only helpful, professional responses to everything you've posted. I'm not sure why you'd feel unwelcome here at CAPTalk but if a member has been harassing you privately via PM please use the "Report" button to help the moderating staff ensure that others are not similarly treated going forward.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

West MI-CAP-Ret

Quote from: TX CAP Mom on May 29, 2017, 04:08:13 PM
Hi everyone! I'm a mom helping her 12yo son brand new to CAP. We have a zillion questions and are finding answers digging around here and various CAP sites. (Searching before asking!) My C/Am is super motivated and got his Curry in about 30 days. Right now we are waiting on his order from Vanguard to get his uniforms complete and he'll really feel ready to go. He joined because he loves all things planes and flying but has found he really loves the military aspect. We are postponing encampment until Winter here in TX, so that will be his next big hurdle beyond continuing to study and advance. We have a great group in Apollo Composite Squadron in Georgetown TX!

I joined CAP when I was fourteen, back in 1974 and except for eight years, I've been in CAP for over 28 years..  I've worked with cadets for most of my time in CAP.  Advice?  Make a deal with your son regarding his participation in CAP.  If he wants to do sports, then pick one, just one.  Then make some award or motivation for your son to make the most contribution as he can to his squadron.  Work hard, make sure he goes to summer encampment as soon as he can.  Try to get promoted at least three times a year (the more he learns, the more he'll be able to contribute to CAP, his community and ultimately to his nation).  Yes, I happen to believe children who go through the program are more than three times likely to attend some form of higher education.  All will achieve their goals because CAP trains cadets to plan, to achieve, and to assess risks.  If I may, I encourage you to get your information about CAP by going to the publications site of the national hq and read what the regs say, then ask groups like CAPTalk only after you've tried to find the answers yourself.  Never let anyone tell you "It's in the regs" because regs change.  You read all the regs about the cadet program, personnel and safety and you'll be way ahead of everyone else.  Finally, once in awhile 'clicks' happen.  Don't let it happen.  If your son feels he's not being treated fairly, he should use his chain of command.  Plus, if some cadet is in your son's way, encourage him to pass some tests and overtake the cadet standing in his way.  Do more than what is expected, try to network with other squadrons by participating in squadron, group, and wing activities. Make friends with friendly cadets.  I wish you luck.  CAP, when run correctly, has the best program for teens out there.  Plus we're the only organization, mandated by congress to actually help people.  Help find lost pilots or hikers or the elderly person who wonders away from their nursing home (actually, congress has only mandated we assist the AF look for lost or missing aircraft...) :-)
MAJ DAVID J. D'ARCY, CAP (Ret) 8 Apr 2018 (1974-1982, 1988-2018)
A former member of:
West Michigan Group MI-703,
Hudsonville Cadet Sqdron MI-135 (name changed to Park Township, Al Johnson Cadet Sqdrn)
Lakeshore Cadet Sqdrn MI-119
Van Dyke Cadet Sqdrn, MI-117
Phoenix Cadet Sqdrn MI-GLR-MI-065 (inactive)
Novi Sixgate Cadet Sqdrn (inactive), MI-068
Inkster Cherry Hill Cadet Sqdrn MI-GLR-MI-283 (inactive)

joymor123

Just a newcomer here dropping by to say "Hi."
My name is Joyce and I am from Florida.
I am looking forward to having great interactions with you in the future. I guess that's it for now, you guys have a good day!
A web designer at PetStreetMall, a place to find quality and affordable pet supplies.

lordmonar

Welcome to CAPTALK.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

sar_one

What part of FL? I might be headed back to Jax in the coming months and plan to transfer to the squadron out there.

Capt Thompson

Welcome to CAPTalk Joyce!!
Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)