parade gloss prestige boot polish

Started by Kayll'b, January 19, 2019, 02:09:12 AM

Kayll'b

Hey, I just got my parade gloss prestige kiwi boot polish and it doesn't seem to be working. my standard boot polish has been working great, why can't I get this stuff to work?

Will somebody please help me?!?!?!
C/Capt

Mitchell # 69847

Squadron Cadet Leadership officer

GCAC Recorder

CAP9907

Do you perhaps have any sort of chain of command that you could pose this question to? Like possibly a Flight SGT or Commander or maybe 1st SGT? Seems like a local solution could be better than this...

YMMV
21 yrs of service

Our Members Code of Conduct can be found here:   http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=13.0

Shawn W.

1. Lose the parade gloss and go back to what you were using.. If it isn't broke, don't fix it.
2. I use a white cotton t-shirts for 2 reasons. 1. I can visibly see when there is polish on my polish rag. 2. Cotton balls can leave fibers imbedded in the polish on your boot. I've seen it happen.
3. Practice makes perfect. Practice you technique. I've done it so many times I can tell by feel when I'm in the groove.

Hope this helps get you started.

Good Luck!

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: Shawn W. on January 19, 2019, 02:35:09 AM
1. Lose the parade gloss and go back to what you were using.. If it isn't broke, don't fix it.
2. I use a white cotton t-shirts for 2 reasons. 1. I can visibly see when there is polish on my polish rag. 2. Cotton balls can leave fibers imbedded in the polish on your boot. I've seen it happen.
3. Practice makes perfect. Practice you technique. I've done it so many times I can tell by feel when I'm in the groove.

Hope this helps get you started.

Good Luck!

1. Yes! "Parade Gloss" has a different formula with a different wax content than regular Kiwi. Parade Gloss is a shortcut for civilians to get a better buff shine, but it doesn't work well for a spit shine.

2. If you see fibers embedded in the polish on the shoe from cotton balls, than it's a virtual certainty that there were no cotton balls used. Instead, they used "cosmetic puffs," the margarine of the cotton world. Look like cotton balls, but they aren't. They are polyester. (They will also scratch the shine). Accept no substitutes! Either genuine cotton balls or 100% cotton white cloth, be it t-shirt or diaper.

3).  Shining shoes is just like trying to appear in concert at Carnegie Hall - there can be no true success without practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

abdsp51

Dump Kiwi and use Lincoln.  Been using the stuff for years.

LATORRECA

I bet the member who post the initial thread is just buffering and not spit shinning. To clarify we should ask.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Kayll'b

yes, I do use water when I polish my boots. ;)
C/Capt

Mitchell # 69847

Squadron Cadet Leadership officer

GCAC Recorder

NIN

In B4 the "light the polish on fire" crowd...

Kiwi, heat gun, cotton cloth & cold water.

:)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Jester

Lincoln Wax is the best I've used, but I can't reliably find it in my area.  Parade Gloss has more silicone in it (or something like that) and, as stated, doesn't work as well for spit shining. 

I only use regular Kiwi because I can find it in Walmart, cotton balls, and water.  I've tried all sorts of tricks with heat guns and lighters, and just stick with the basics.

Eclipse

^^ https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Lincoln+Wax

Also, the colossal waste of time that is shining boots (I know, I know, it's all about zen and team-building
around the campfire while hell rains down upon you, etc., etc.,) is one of the few reasons I would support
going to suede, just make it black suede to insure they look continue to look sharp vs. bizarre beige ones.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on January 19, 2019, 06:43:30 PM
^^ https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Lincoln+Wax

Also, the colossal waste of time that is shining boots (I know, I know, it's all about zen and team-building
around the campfire while hell rains down upon you, etc., etc.,) is one of the few reasons I would support
going to suede, just make it black suede to insure they look continue to look sharp vs. bizarre beige ones.

I shine my boots about once every 6 months.  With the heat gun, its about 10 minutes a boot.  20 minutes or so every six months?  I have that kind of time.

Not that suede boots wouldn't be much less mx.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

PHall

Eclipse, have ever had to clean suede boots? They are far from "maintenance free".

Jester

I brush shine boots and spit shine low quarters.  Neither is very time consuming at this point.

I always find it odd that people who spend the most time bloviating about how shining footwear has some terrific character-building quality wear corfams. 

NIN

Quote from: Jester on January 19, 2019, 09:29:23 PM
I always find it odd that people who spend the most time bloviating about how shining footwear has some terrific character-building quality wear corfams.

I wear corfram low-quarters.

You won't hear me talking about "character building" when it comes to boot shining (or ironing my shirts).  Nope.

Its a detail, just like the other stuff.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on January 19, 2019, 09:08:06 PM
Eclipse, have ever had to clean suede boots? They are far from "maintenance free".

So then matte black tacticals - done

"That Others May Zoom"

Slim

Lincoln wax, applied in a light coat using a brush or dauber.
Allow to dry (hint, first boot dries while applying polish to second boot)
Buff with a soft brush (second boot dries while buffing the first)
Takes all of about 20 minutes once every few months.
Use the time gained by not spitshining boots to study your next achievement.

Slim

Luis R. Ramos

That is fine and dandy, but in 45 years living I have never seen any place selling Lincoln Wax.

WHICH are the stores that sell it?!!

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

MSG Mac

Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Jester

I've never seen Lincoln Wax at Walmart but that may be a regional thing.  Only place around here that carries it is a store that sells duty, motorcycle, and work boots.