How do you become a CAP Colonel

Started by flyguy06, January 18, 2007, 01:52:51 AM

ZigZag911

Quote from: JamesG5223 on January 19, 2007, 05:03:51 AM
I'd add experience in fund raising and governmental relations as good prerequisites for Wing CC also.

In other words, the same requirements for elected office or college presidents??

No, thanks....let's get some commanders that actually focus on the members and the mission.

ZigZag911

Quote from: flyguy06 on January 20, 2007, 04:33:29 AM
So, serioyusly, how does one become a Wing or Regional commander? I mean are they votedon and elected? And who nominates and votes? In my 20 plus years of active CAP membership, I do not recall ever doing this.

There is a 'suggested' process that region CCs are supposed to follow, with integrity & transparency.

In reality, wing CCs are usually selected behind closed doors, generally before the last incumbent is ridden out of town on a rail .....sorry, how cynical, I mean 'decides to retire for personal reasons'!

Region CCs tend to be the survivors from the wing CC "pack".

flyguy06

Thanks everyone. Everybody focused answeres on Wing Commander. But I actually asked about Wing AND Region Commanders.

JCJ

There is no 35-9 equivalent for region commander selection, although recent selections have had boards using the 35-9 process.  The only regulatory guidance is in the Constitution & Bylaws article XIII - i.e. the Region CC's are appointed by the National CC. - However, one is unlikely to be considered a serious candidate for Region CC without previous service as a Wing CC.

Major_Chuck

I feel the selection process is merely a formality.  NHQ/CC already has in his/her mind who they want for the position, going through the vetting process is just a way of satisfying the masses.  This enables the powers to be to say that the nomination process was fair and open to all.

Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

Pace

Quote from: DNall on January 18, 2007, 05:27:16 PM
In other news, just got a new one selected here in Texas to take over in April. Got a notice same day that OK is taking apps. Nice region commander we got, clearing the desk I guess.
The SWR/CC just announced the new LAWG/CC replacement effective in May (the 7th I believe): Lt Col Mike DuBois.  I believe he is currently the SWR ES Director.  He's a great man with lots of charisma.  I can't think of anyone better to take command of Louisiana as far as time, dedication, and skill goes.  Seriously, this guy's friendliness/care for his people and command influence/presence is on par with Rock Palermo's.  Out of the two of them, I honestly don't think I could pick if I had to.
Lt Col, CAP