How do you become a CAP Colonel

Started by flyguy06, January 18, 2007, 01:52:51 AM

flyguy06

Besides becomming a Wing or Region Commander, what are the requirements to become a CAP full Colonel.

What are the requirements to become a Wing and/or Region Commander?

Major_Chuck

Hold a national headquarters staff level position such as Chief of Health Services, National Finance Officer, National Legal Officer, National Safety Officer, etc.

For us normal folks who will never attain such exhalted CAP Status, Light Colonel is our fate.

(And a good fate it is...)
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

Pace

Region Vice Commander (under certain conditions), national staff, and honorary promotions (like they did for Mary Feik).
Lt Col, CAP

AlphaSigOU

Earning 'chicken colonel' in CAP is next to near impossible unless you are appointed to one of the above positions. We mere mortals have to be satisfied being a 'telephone colonel'.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

mikeylikey

Play the political game.  Know people who can promote you.  Backstab your friends and colleagues.  Be a spotlight ranger (only be the mission member, never attend meetings find the cameras).  Thats about it.
What's up monkeys?

Major_Chuck

Order the insignia from Vanguard, wait about four months and then put them on.  That's one way.  Not quite legal and I am sure that someone will call you on it. 

NOTF will pick up on it and run it as a full blown feature story and give them more anti-CAP ammo to spew.
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS

JCJ

Wing CC is temporary promotion to Col. - becomes permanent upon successfully completing assignment - which usually means being in office for at least the 1st year (probationary period) and leaving on good terms.

Region Vice Commanders who are not already Colonels (former corporate officers) are promoted to temp. grade of Colonel, but revert to Lt. Col. upon leaving the post (unless allowed to remain a Col. by the NEC)

The NEC can authorize other promotions to Col.

DNall

Quote from: CAP Safety Dude on January 18, 2007, 02:46:03 AM
Order the insignia from Vanguard, wait about four months and then put them on.  That's one way.  Not quite legal and I am sure that someone will call you on it. 

NOTF will pick up on it and run it as a full blown feature story and give them more anti-CAP ammo to spew.
;D :D ;D

sjtrupp

Quote from: flyguy06 on January 18, 2007, 01:52:51 AMWhat are the requirements to become a Wing and/or Region Commander?

CAPR 35-9 has the "suggested" requirements for a Wing Commander.

a. Hold at least the CAP grade of major.
b. Completed Level IV of the Senior Member Training Program.
c. Three years command and staff experience at any level within a wing.
d. Budget and asset acquisition knowledge gained within or outside CAP.
e. Five years supervisory experience gained within or outside CAP.
f. Five years total CAP membership with no less than three continuous years of service prior to appointment.
g. Prior to appointment as wing commander, individual must complete a successful fingerprint rescreening.

It's also nice to have Command Experience, either Squadron or Group.

Major_Chuck

Quote from: sjtrupp on January 18, 2007, 03:04:07 PM
Quote from: flyguy06 on January 18, 2007, 01:52:51 AMWhat are the requirements to become a Wing and/or Region Commander?

f. Five years total CAP membership with no less than three continuous years of service prior to appointment.
g. Prior to appointment as wing commander, individual must complete a successful fingerprint rescreening.

There was talk a couple of years ago requireing Safety Officer experience as well.  Don't know what became of it.
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS

davedove

Quote from: CAP Safety Dude on January 18, 2007, 04:50:59 PM

There was talk a couple of years ago requireing Safety Officer experience as well.  Don't know what became of it.

I would think the ideal candidate would have experience in all the different specialties.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Monty

You know....I actually think that CAP Lt Col is plenty fine...not because I tend to be a "devil's advocate," but because....

In the Air Force, the typical "you dotted all your I's and T's" end rank for officers is Lt Col.  AFPC data more than suggests that the most routine retirement grade for officers is Lt Col.  So, in similar fashion....be a good run-of-the-mill senior member in CAP and you can top out at the same grade.

In the whole dag-gummed Air Force at least, the majority of folks that do a career either retire (again, per AFPC, circa 2004 - the last report I saw) as either MSgts or Lt Cols.

Nothing lost and nobody says a negative word if one retires as a Lt Col or MSgt.  Folks scratch their heads, however, if airmen retire as SMSgts or Cols (e.g., "Dude, what happened?  Were you close?  Passed over twice?  Didn't do the PME/CCAF/Master's Degree?  What's up?")

DNall

Maybe CP, ES, & have yeager, but all would be crazy. Typical candidate prob has a couple master ratings he doesn't know how to use.

Truth is you play some politics, command a Sq off & on a few times, get slected to Plans & Programs or CoS & make your boss look good enough to make region commander - helps to attach to a rising star. It ain't that hard unless you want to still have your soul when you get there.

In other news, just got a new one selected here in Texas to take over in April. Got a notice same day that OK is taking apps. Nice region commander we got, clearing the desk I guess.

RiverAux

I would recommend upping the minimum CAP service time before becoming a Wing Commander to 10 years with at least 5 years continuous before appointment. 

JamesG5223

I'd add experience in fund raising and governmental relations as good prerequisites for Wing CC also.
Lt Col James Garlough, CAP

ZigZag911

Which they totally disregard at whim.....

flyguy06

So, serioyusly, how does one become a Wing or Regional commander? I mean are they votedon and elected? And who nominates and votes? In my 20 plus years of active CAP membership, I do not recall ever doing this.

JCJ

DNall

Quote from: DNall on January 18, 2007, 05:27:16 PM
In other news, just got a new one selected here in Texas to take over in April. Got a notice same day that OK is taking apps. Nice region commander we got, clearing the desk I guess.
To clarify... "clrearing the desk" means getting your team straight & on-board with the vision, so as to get to work. It does NOT mean, nor did I imply that it does, "cleaning house," or "stacking the deck" so as to fill slots with yes-men that do the evil bidding.

Everyone here knows I pull few punches & if I meant to say something negative about a decision there wouldn't be a lot of doubt where I stood. I believe in being up front on my views, even if I'm wrong - hell that's the fastest way to figure out you are wrong so you can fix it. However, I appreciate the insight from region/wg staff on the individuals involved. It's nice to hear well qualified people selected. I hope they build on what we do well & work hard to fix the things that we don't.

ZigZag911

Quote from: RiverAux on January 19, 2007, 12:47:28 AM
I would recommend upping the minimum CAP service time before becoming a Wing Commander to 10 years with at least 5 years continuous before appointment. 

I agree, this is an excellent idea.

ZigZag911

Quote from: JamesG5223 on January 19, 2007, 05:03:51 AM
I'd add experience in fund raising and governmental relations as good prerequisites for Wing CC also.

In other words, the same requirements for elected office or college presidents??

No, thanks....let's get some commanders that actually focus on the members and the mission.

ZigZag911

Quote from: flyguy06 on January 20, 2007, 04:33:29 AM
So, serioyusly, how does one become a Wing or Regional commander? I mean are they votedon and elected? And who nominates and votes? In my 20 plus years of active CAP membership, I do not recall ever doing this.

There is a 'suggested' process that region CCs are supposed to follow, with integrity & transparency.

In reality, wing CCs are usually selected behind closed doors, generally before the last incumbent is ridden out of town on a rail .....sorry, how cynical, I mean 'decides to retire for personal reasons'!

Region CCs tend to be the survivors from the wing CC "pack".

flyguy06

Thanks everyone. Everybody focused answeres on Wing Commander. But I actually asked about Wing AND Region Commanders.

JCJ

There is no 35-9 equivalent for region commander selection, although recent selections have had boards using the 35-9 process.  The only regulatory guidance is in the Constitution & Bylaws article XIII - i.e. the Region CC's are appointed by the National CC. - However, one is unlikely to be considered a serious candidate for Region CC without previous service as a Wing CC.

Major_Chuck

I feel the selection process is merely a formality.  NHQ/CC already has in his/her mind who they want for the position, going through the vetting process is just a way of satisfying the masses.  This enables the powers to be to say that the nomination process was fair and open to all.

Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS

Pace

Quote from: DNall on January 18, 2007, 05:27:16 PM
The SWR/CC just announced the new LAWG/CC replacement effective in May (the 7th I believe): Lt Col Mike DuBois.  I believe he is currently the SWR ES Director.  He's a great man with lots of charisma.  I can't think of anyone better to take command of Louisiana as far as time, dedication, and skill goes.  Seriously, this guy's friendliness/care for his people and command influence/presence is on par with Rock Palermo's.  Out of the two of them, I honestly don't think I could pick if I had to.
Lt Col, CAP