Air National Guard Academy of Military Science

Started by Guardrail, January 13, 2007, 03:19:49 AM

Guardrail

I am interested in attending the Air National Guard Academy of Military Science after earning my bachelor's degree.  Is there anyone who knows about the Air National Guard and/or AMS?  Are there any AMS grads here, by chance?  I have some questions about AMS and the guard in general.

mikeylikey

Here's the linky.....   http://www.angtec.ang.af.mil/AMS/AMS.htm

After reading the website, I would have liked to see more than 15 hours of Physical Training as the standard during the course.  Pre-Commissioning is the time to build a future officers physical wellbeing for life.  Oh wait it's the AF (Just Kidding). 

Hope it helps!

Edited link - MIKE
What's up monkeys?

ddelaney103

I can't speak to AMS from direct experience, but most people can get through it.

An advantage to AMS is they're not trying to cull the herd - if you're there it's because you have a slot waiting for you back home.  OTS takes more than they need expecting to lose some.

The thing to remember is the ANG is driven by the manning document.  You need to figure out which unit you're willing to join (either because of distance or mission) and then figure out if they have a slot in what you want to do.

If you're really interested in a Guard career, you may want to enlist now.  Being in the unit, especially if you have a good track record, will give you a leg up in getting an O slot.  It would be even better if you enlisted in the field you wanted to be as an officer.

One caveat: the AF drawdown may lead to a glut of officers looking for work.  One of the reasons I never crossed over was because there weren't slots available and when there were they'd crosstrain an excess officer instead of going to the added expense of taking an enlisted or non-prior service.