Main Menu

ABUs

Started by MadGrak, September 15, 2011, 05:14:12 AM

MadGrak

When do you think CAP will be switching to ABUs. The woodland is so outdated and bad at this point that Ive actually been mistaken for a Neo-Nazi. :P
C/SSgt Grant Gulden
GLR-OH-004 Eagle Composite Squadron

Extremepredjudice

Probably never.

Most people seen to be saying we will get whatever the military uses next.

If you have everything on your BDUs you shouldn't look like a natzi. Neo-natzis don't tend to have Civil Air Patrol, rank insignias and wing emblems on their BDUs. Jus' sayin'

Woodland isn't outdated, FYI. I know a lot of people that use it. In fact, I like woodland more than the new digies. I have a set of ACUs, and they are uncomfortable. Plus you can't iron them (according to an army recruiter) cause it messes up the IR scattering material.

That said, if ABUs ever were aproved I'd like to be an "early adopter". But it does raise the issue of how strange it would look in formation. Half BDUs, half ABUs. 

Just my 0.04 cents.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

SarDragon

Welcome to CT.

This has been discussed on many other threads. Try doing a search on ABU, and looking at what's been said.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Tim Medeiros

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on September 15, 2011, 05:29:00 AM
Plus you can't iron them (according to an army recruiter) cause it messes up the IR scattering material.
I like the non-ironing properties of the ABU, reduces my headache of things to do after my shift.
Quote from: Extremepredjudice on September 15, 2011, 05:29:00 AMBut it does raise the issue of how strange it would look in formation. Half BDUs, half ABUs. 
No stranger than it does in the AF until 1 Nov 2011.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

wwiijunky7

I dont think that it will ever happen.for 1
1. There much more expensive.
2. Woodland fits in with our (us) land environment.
and third. well i dont like the way they look compared to bdu's.

Eclipse

Quote from: MadGrak on September 15, 2011, 05:14:12 AM
When do you think CAP will be switching to ABUs. The woodland is so outdated and bad at this point that Ive actually been mistaken for a Neo-Nazi. :P

1. Welcome to CAPTalk

2. Never.

3. The USAF and US Navy still wear Woodland Camo.

4. Search is your friend here.

"That Others May Zoom"

GroundHawg

3. The USAF and US Navy still wear Woodland Camo.

Both are in phase out. The USAF replaced them with the ABU and the USN and USCG with the NWU. We will be one of the few who still wears them. (I think some SDF's still wear them?) I pray we just go back to OD Green. Wishfull thinking on my part I know, but its my dream so  :P

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

GroundHawg

Quote from: Eclipse on October 01, 2011, 08:25:18 PM
Quote from: GroundHawg on October 01, 2011, 08:15:10 PM
Both are in phase out.

Heh - so are ABUs.

True. My last 5 deployments I have worn 5 different uniforms. Woodland, DCU, Desert Crew Coveralls, ACU's and ABU's. I hear we are getting Multicam our next trip. My garage looks like a surplus store.

Pump Scout

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on September 15, 2011, 05:29:00 AMPlus you can't iron them (according to an army recruiter) cause it messes up the IR scattering material.

We'd been told back in the day that BDU's had IR hiding capabilities. I never really believed it until I was showing a family a TOW thermal sight at an open house, and we pointed it at a soldier on the other end of the armory. Face and hands were visible, the rest of him was missing. Non-soldiers showed up just fine. This troop had some well ironed BDU's on. I suspect whatever masking stuff is in the uniform, it's not going to be damaged or destroyed by simple ironing, washing, use, or whatnot. DARPA probably assumes that troops will do things the wrong way, and plan accordingly.

Tim Medeiros

Both are in phase out.

Heh - so are ABUs.
Having checked AF Portal, the AF Uniform page and talked with my supervisors, I have found nothing to corroborate this from a reliable source.

On a side note, the base commander here at DM has authorized everyone to wear BDUs on the last Monday of this month (in lieu of blues), however everyone must be in ABUs the following Tuesday.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

Extremepredjudice

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

PHall

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on October 02, 2011, 07:15:41 PM

>:D

What makes you think that won't be approved? >:D >:D

It meets the requirements of AFI 10-2701. It is distinctive in low light level conditions!!!

ol'fido

I say that instead of CAP adopting a uniform that is distinctive in "low light" conditions, it would be much cheaper for the AF to buy a flashlight. ::)
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: ol'fido on October 02, 2011, 07:55:19 PM
I say that instead of CAP adopting a uniform that is distinctive in "low light" conditions, it would be much cheaper for the AF to buy a flashlight. ::)
lol'ed.

I got that picture from: http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=3540.360

8)

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

NCRblues

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on October 02, 2011, 07:15:41 PM

>:D

well..to be honest, its not the worst thing I have ever seen...
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

Eclipse

Quote from: Tim Medeiros on October 02, 2011, 04:28:55 PM
Both are in phase out.

Heh - so are ABUs.
Having checked AF Portal, the AF Uniform page and talked with my supervisors, I have found nothing to corroborate this from a reliable source.

The first die was cast when the 2010 DAB included language directing the SecDef to consolidate ground combat uniforms, the second round
was last Aug when the USAF started putting some of their people into Multi-cams. 

As money gets tighter and tighter, and we continue to consolidate the military and perform an ever increasing number of joint operations, the writing is
already on the wall for ABUs.  They'll be gone before CAP is ever considered.

"That Others May Zoom"

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: Eclipse on October 02, 2011, 10:39:42 PM
Both are in phase out.

Heh - so are ABUs.

As money gets tighter and tighter, and we continue to consolidate the military and perform an ever increasing number of joint operations, the writing is
Well when I took a quick look at pricing for the ABU's at the BX/MCC, IF you including everything you need to be wearing it correctly, it $250.00+ for one uniform package.   I would think that most members have better things to spend their money on.   Now granted the used & knock off markets might have some cheaper uniforms.

I just fail to understand why this is such a burning issue with the membership ??? ??? ???.   The BDU's are adequate, and for the senior members the "smart thing" to do is to just buy the Blue BDU's since it's unlikely it is ever going to change and there's a lot more flexibility on wear requirements.
RM

Spaceman3750

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on October 03, 2011, 12:24:01 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on October 02, 2011, 10:39:42 PM
Both are in phase out.

Heh - so are ABUs.

Well when I took a quick look at pricing for the ABU's at the BX/MCC, IF you including everything you need to be wearing it correctly, it $250.00+ for one uniform package.   I would think that most members have better things to spend their money on.   Now granted the used & knock off markets might have some cheaper uniforms.

I just fail to understand why this is such a burning issue with the membership ??? ??? ???.   The BDU's are adequate, and for the senior members the "smart thing" to do is to just buy the Blue BDU's since it's unlikely it is ever going to change and there's a lot more flexibility on wear requirements.
RM

Because some of us think we should look like the branch that supports us.

lordmonar

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on October 03, 2011, 12:37:39 AM
Because some of us think we should look like the branch that supports us.
It's that whole auxillary thing.  :)
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP