Main Menu

listening

Started by brickman, January 21, 2010, 03:21:25 AM

brickman

hello. i am writing this in response to something that happened at a recent squadron meeting. we were outside doing a little bit of l-per training, when one of the other cadets walked up onto a snowbank. he started to look down a deep window well. after ordering him to get down, we told him that when someone says that there may be danger nearby, you should probably listen to them, regardless of rank. after a while, we found the transmitter. when we were going back into our meeting place, the above mentioned cadet was nowhere to be found. as it turns out, when we had ben getting the transmitter down form its "crash site", he had gone inside. afterwards, the entire squadron that was present had to sit down for a 15 minute class on sticking together and the buddy system. i just thought that i would post this as a reminder/tip/warning that you should NEVER under ANY circumstances, leave somewhere without telling someone what your intentions are. thank you.
C/SSgt  Northeast Nebraska Comp. Squadron

Eclipse

Followership is one of the most important lessons we can teach our cadets (and seniors).

Cowboys who will do whatever they want be cause they feel like it are annoying in the least and dangerous in the extreme.

"That Others May Zoom"

EMT-83

Once had a cadet decide to wander off on his own at an air show, after numerous reminders that it was not allowed. Several anxious minutes, but he returned safely.

At the next squadron meeting, we didn't lecture cadets about the importance of the buddy system. That task was performed by the young man who had wandered off.  After making the presentation, he finally realized why those cranky senior members were so upset. Problem solved.

brickman

Quote from: Eclipse on January 21, 2010, 03:33:30 AM

Cowboys who will do whatever they want be cause they feel like it are annoying in the least and dangerous in the extreme.
this particular cadet has had some problems listening on many other occasions, many times when it is, in fact, dangerous in the extreme

Spike

brickman,

It sounds like no one told this cadet not to go inside when the transmitter was found.  The story is somewhat confusing, and I am sure you have the best intentions, but from most readers perspective there is not enough "fact" given to say whether this Cadet was wrong or right.

davidsinn

Quote from: Spike on January 21, 2010, 06:10:39 PM
brickman,

It sounds like no one told this cadet not to go inside when the transmitter was found.  The story is somewhat confusing, and I am sure you have the best intentions, but from most readers perspective there is not enough "fact" given to say whether this Cadet was wrong or right.

Unless he was told to go inside then he shouldn't have gone. That's his error.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Spike

^ Tough to tell, as the story is vague.  However, if someone told me "we are going outside to look for an elt and heading right back in when we find it", I would guess that means when it is found we make our way back in. 

brickman

i am sorry about the unclearness of the story. the cadet was told to stay with the group at all times, and also told to stay outside unless someone told him otherwise. so, i am sorry about this communication failure on my part. i will try to make further posts clearer. I tried to edit it but it is saying i cant.

sparks

Cadets may listen but decide to ignore instructions, adults too. Making it a teaching moment by having the offender explain the correct process/ technique is the best way to handle the problem. Butt chewing might work too but can have negative results.

Fellow cadets may pay more attention to one of their own's presentation  than the adult leadership making that a good choice too.

Spike

Quote from: brickman on January 21, 2010, 09:06:27 PM
i am sorry about the unclearness of the story. the cadet was told to stay with the group at all times, and also told to stay outside unless someone told him otherwise. so, i am sorry about this communication failure on my part. i will try to make further posts clearer. I tried to edit it but it is saying i cant.

Now I understand, thanks for clearing it up!  Are you sure he did not misunderstand or heard it was OK to go in by someone else?  If he just up and decided to go in, he has problems following orders or thinks they don't apply to him. 

If this is the case, a sit-down and discusion on proper behavior is called for. 

brickman

Quote from: Spike on January 23, 2010, 01:49:24 AM
  Are you sure he did not misunderstand or heard it was OK to go in by someone else?  If he just up and decided to go in, he has problems following orders or thinks they don't apply to him. 

If this is the case, a sit-down and discusion on proper behavior is called for. 

We had all agreed beforehand to stay inside, so I don't believe that a misunderstanding is the problem, especially based on his previous history of not liking to take orders from anyone but himself.