Making Leadership and other classes more fun

Started by 1st Sgt Bronco, July 06, 2018, 05:36:40 PM

1st Sgt Bronco

Hello all,
I'm looking for recommendations on how to make my leadership classes more fun and hands on for my cadets. I feel we are lacking the motivation and enthusiasm that should go along with being part of the cadet program. If anyone has any recommendations or resources they would like to share it would be very appreciated.
Thanks to all in advance

ChamorroPride

Recently I hosted my leadership class outside. I don't know if that's possible for you but it seemed fun for them. Also, try and use your own knowledge. Look away from the paper often. If you're just reading off of the lesson plan it's realllllyyy boring. Hope I helped a little bit!
C/CMSgt Jacob A. Halbrook, CAP
Cadet First Sergeant
NER-NY-283

RiChArD7032

It might help if you could give us an example of a classes you taught that seemed very boring.  We could take that info and provide some ideas on how to shake it up a bit.

ZigZag911

We used to practice facing movements and such as a Simon Says competition

Ozzy

Bronco,

Probably the best way for us to help you is for you to tell us how you are conducting your leadership classes. Are they lectures, discussions, or 'labs'? What kind of material (topics) do you cover? Is each lesson a stand-alone class or do they build upon each other towards an end goal?

I found that a lot of cadets and seniors tend to 'teach' classes as lectures, meaning that they are the one that does 95% of the talking while the "in-flights" takes notes. Most of the time the "in-flights" tend to get bored, don't take notes, and figure they would rather do something else then just sit there. Having a class as a discussion draws the cadets into the lesson as you, the leader, are letting the cadets talk about their experience in the matter while you help facilitate them through it and direct them into drawing conclusions for themselves. National has a huge amount of resources available for all, just waiting for someone to come and get it. Take a look here: https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/programs/cadets/library/squadron-training-plans/. Here is an example of a fairly excellent discussion I've used at my old squadron that really got my cadets into it... we ended up running out of time (+1HR) as everyone really got into the discussion and had a lot to say/debate about. (https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/static/media/cms/LLP2_F4EDAE21144CE.pdf). Out of the 1 Hour, I probably talked for maybe 5-10 minutes, mainly to get us back on track and to lead the cadet's in the direction the lesson calls for. I tabled the leadership lab we were supposed to do after it to the next time but that's okay. Sometimes it better to let the discussion continue then to interrupt.

With Regards,
TSgt Ozyilmaz
Squadron NCO
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

arajca

Bronco,
   take a look in the other discussion of the same topic in the "Membership" thread. You'll find some additional ideas.

1st Sgt Bronco

Thanks to all for the input. My last leadership class was on core values, I had a number of questions and other things I tried to use to get my cadets involved. But they just seemed disinterested, I try my best to get a discussion going bcuz that's how it went at my old squadron. But here the cadets dont seem like they really want to participate in anything it doesn't matter what the activity or class is. I'm trying to find ways to make my classes more interesting and motivate them to be more excited and enthusiastic about what we're doing. All my leadership classes at the moment are just basic things like core values, cadet oath, warrior spirit, etc.,..

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: ZigZag911 on July 06, 2018, 09:32:05 PM
We used to practice facing movements and such as a Simon Says competition

The problem I have with that is that I traditionally don't see cadets corrected on their mistakes. They fall out, and they're out of the game. So they don't learn from it.

Quote from: 1st Sgt Bronco on July 07, 2018, 09:02:48 PM
Thanks to all for the input. My last leadership class was on core values, I had a number of questions and other things I tried to use to get my cadets involved. But they just seemed disinterested.....All my leadership classes at the moment are just basic things like core values, cadet oath, warrior spirit, etc.,..

That's because you used the common class that gets retaught and retaught over and over when people don't have ideas. It's incredibly boring for anyone after reaching C/Amn.

Why don't you try some problem solving exercises. Research the 7 Steps to Problem Solving and make some realistic scenarios for them to identify the issue, propose solutions, and, as a team, decide on solutions, followed by building a plan to implement.

Eclipse

You could actually use the 7 steps to not only teach them, but solve this problem as a group.

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Eclipse on July 10, 2018, 03:10:28 PM
You could actually use the 7 steps to not only teach them, but solve this problem as a group.

This

1st Sgt Bronco

Thank you so much. I hadnt even thought to consider the 7 steps yet. I will make that my next class.