Help planning some SAREX scenarios

Started by Walkman, January 16, 2010, 11:25:30 PM

Walkman

Wing has asked each unit to look over their ES training needs and come up with ideas for SAR exercises that can be done more locally with help from Wing.

Our sqdn has been primarily a cadet only unit forever, but we're hot on the trail of building a real ES program. We now have 9 pilots training for mission status (as well as MS/MO) a few non-pilot aircrew types, a few GTM people and more coming in, AND the local ES groups are open to starting to add us to the team when we're trained.

That being said, my first thought for a SAREX would be to plant a target somewhere, have the aircrew find it and then send in the GT to the area. Pretty basic I know , but remember, we're new.

What other scenarios can we do that would have GT as the lead maybe?

Gunner C

What capability does the wing want to have at the end of the year?  The WG/CC should state that and training would be conducted to that end.  Sounds like they might be doing it the other way around (tail wagging the dog).

Stonewall

Serving since 1987.

Walkman

Gunner you have a point. I think what might be going on is that ES training is not consistent throughout the wing and the newly minted Wing CC is trying to see where everyone is, help them get their goals and then work towards a unified plan

Thanks Kirt. Good stuff. (BTW, did you get my PM?)

NC Hokie

Quote from: Walkman on January 16, 2010, 11:25:30 PM
This probably isn't terribly original, but here goes.

Hang a parachute in a tree with a practice ELT to simulate a military pilot ejected from a crippled fighter.  Keep your planes on the ground by declaring that the weather is too severe to fly.  If you leave someone with the target, he can 1) act injured, and/or 2) turn the ELT off at some point to make things more difficult for the GT.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Stonewall

Serving since 1987.

RADIOMAN015

I think you are on the right track as far as simple type exercises.  Depending upon your state's ground S&R policy/laws, you may also want to train the cadets on line searches.

Somewhere down the line, it's probably a good idea to have a joint exercise with local fire/rescue/ems departments/organizations in your typical response area, since it more realistic for them to be doing the primary rescuing & advance medical emergency treatment, than CAP has the capability to perform.
RM

LTC Don

There is really no limit to the use of creativity in designing a SAREX, but the devil is always in the details.  It takes an average of three to six months to really design a quality experience just because you have to accommodate all the details.

Then, when the exercise really starts, the first thing out the window, as in combat, is the plan.  :o

Perhaps a good foundation to begin thinking about planning a SAREX is to consider first what skills are probably the weakest, and thus need the most training time.

For example, most ground teams do not get the opportunity to really practice land navigation skills, and most never ever get to actually spend the night in the field, even though they are supposed to be 24-hour equipped.  So, designing a field exercise with a remote ELT in a wilderness setting, and forcing an overnight stay in primitive conditions should be a pretty standard planning objective or at least consideration.

Many states have state, county/parrish/, and national-level forests and recreation areas that can be utilized, so developing relationships with those staffs are vitally important when setting up SAREXs.  If you have members who are into agriculture and have large tracts of land, they can be utilized if they don't mind people utilizing their land for SAR training.

It should be SOP to invite local emergency managers to all planning meetings.   They can bring a lot of resources to the table to enhance the exercise.  There are other community groups who do training also such as  Salvation Army and Red Cross.  They can also bring resources to the table.

One thing to absolutely NOT get in the habit of doing is compromising training and very valuable volunteer time by setting an ELT at an airport for the team to spend time driving to, then to find.  Yes, perhaps for first timers working on their UDF...perhaps.  But never, ever waste an experienced volunteer's time looking for an ELT in a garbage can or some such crap.  Make the effort to get your targets out in the field (and by field, does not mean on the side of the road)  ::) I've had this very thing happen so many times over the years, that I no longer have much, if any desire to participate.

One particular training exercise that will force the use of multiple skill sets, and can be developed to be as extensive as you want, is to simply simulate an ultralight crash with two survivors (or a combination thereof) in a wilderness setting, and require the survivors to be extricated out to waiting EMS.  This simple scenario can be massaged to engage whatever resources you want.  All you need are two warm humans or trauma mannikins, a tarp to simulate the wing covering of the ultralight, and a practice ELT/PLB.

Simply look over the SQTR of the GTM 1, 2, 3, and look at the skill sets required, and you can easily design exercises to force the team to work those skills.

Same thing applies to the MP and MO SQTRs.  As in the above exercise, you can really make the MO sweat while they try to guide the team and survivor(s) out to waiting EMS.

By the same token, by getting your local EMS service involved, you can engage them to provide some paramedic/emt support on the team and they get valuable wilderness-level training.

In any case, again, it should be SOP that CAP SAREXs should be some type of multiagency activity.

One of the things I absolutely support at the Wing or Group level is the establishment of a "Scenario Development Group" or SDG.  The SDG is an 'black ops' function under the ES training director, that does nothing but support SAREX quality by establishing and setting training exercises based on SQTR requirments.  Due to the length of time it takes to set up quality, multi-agency exercises, it takes committed individuals outside the normal chain to work the issues and not get burned out by also performing during the exercise. Individuals who work on the SDG would be those individuals who have multi-agency contacts, and who are of the highest integrity so that exercise details can be entrusted to be classified so that training is not compromised.  I don't know of any wings who currently employ this type of set up, but I think it could overhaul the way CAP currently does it's SAREX operations.

Anecdotal story follows --

During a recent SAREX, a clue was dropped by the search subject.  When the ground team passed by the area, a cadet noticed the clue, and picked it up.......said clue was a scent-quality article, and thus was destroyed.  So, clearly, there are some training issues with clue consciousness, clue marking, and SAR dog use.......  :P

Based on the above self-serving anecdotal story...one could surmise it could be a good idea as a matter of  SOP to perhaps carve out time at the beginning of the SAREX for a review of those skill sets that could be expected to be exercised prior to the actual engagement.

Sorry for the bit of a soapbox...after 25 years, it sorta gets beside me.  ;)

Cheers,
Donald A. Beckett, Lt Col, CAP
Commander
MER-NC-143
Gill Rob Wilson #1891

ketseyowyow

QuoteYes.  Just got caught up with the loss of a close friend.

Was he in the Squadron here in JAX?
I am in SER-FL-383,
Jacksonville Composite Squadron. Craig Municipal Airport...

Stonewall

No, he was not in CAP.  He was just a close, personal friend.
Serving since 1987.

Senior

If everyone is "NEW" to GSAR then keep it very basic for the initial
training, scenario etc.  A good way to train is to start with basic
outline in the GTM 123 list.  Start very basic and build on the very
simple to the more complex.  If you have never navigated with map
and compass in the woods start in a open field.  If you have never
carried someone for any distance use sandbags for the dummy.
You will find it surprising how difficult it is to lead a GT in an orderly
fashion, to work together as a team.

flyguy06

Quote from: NC Hokie on January 17, 2010, 02:00:57 AM
Quote from: Walkman on January 16, 2010, 11:25:30 PM
This probably isn't terribly original, but here goes.

Hang a parachute in a tree with a practice ELT to simulate a military pilot ejected from a crippled fighter.  Keep your planes on the ground by declaring that the weather is too severe to fly.  If you leave someone with the target, he can 1) act injured, and/or 2) turn the ELT off at some point to make things more difficult for the GT.
Why would you not want to exercise the aircrews? we are still an air search and rescue organization arent we?

Walkman

Quote from: flyguy06 on January 20, 2010, 06:33:51 AM
Why would you not want to exercise the aircrews? we are still an air search and rescue organization arent we?

It's not that we don't want to work the aircrews, I'm looking for exercises that both teams can practice being the lead unit. See OP.

wacapgh

And to cover the Air-Ground/Ground-Air signals tasks for both Aircrew and GT, it's often overlooked when planning training.

Have the aircrew do the initial ELT search, and have them guide the team in. On the ELT/Target have a note saying to the effect "Your radios have failed and you can not use them to communicate with the aircrew overhead. By using the standard Air-Ground signals in your SQTR, signal the aircraft that all is well. Wait until you receive the Yes/Affirmative reply from the aircraft." Modify as needed to fit your scenario.

This meets a task for both air and ground training.