Radio call signs

Started by Walkman, October 24, 2011, 05:54:58 PM

Walkman

If you pass ACUT, you qualify for a wing radio call sign. Aside from Comm-Os doing net checks, when would you use the call sign over the mission related "Ground Team Alpha" type designators?

SarDragon

Functional call signs are used when needed for a specific mission or situation - ES mission, or other defined activities. Tactical call signs are used at all other times. That's straight out of the ACUT course.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Walkman

Thanks. I'm just getting a little more into comms.

Matt Moon

Do they have HAM" operators in the Civil Air Patrol,  if not what do they use ?

arajca

CAP does have amateur radio operators, however, they do not use their amateur radio call signs for CAP. CAP uses Air Force voice tactical call signs. Each wing and region is assigned a 'master' call sign (COWG is Blue Mesa) and members are assigned subordinate call signs for their equipment (i.e. Blue Mesa 982).

Dracosbane

Grandpa was a Ham operator and a CAP Maj.  He had a radio on top of the refrigerator in the kitchen, as well as his car and his commo shack in the basement.  Grandpa's radios are not walkie talkies, you don't use them without permission or authorization (Ham or ROP). 

He may not have thought the same, but the proudest day I ever had was during a family gathering, standing in the kitchen with my mom, aunt, and assorted other family members wondering how to get ahold of my grandparents (pre-cell phones) to find out how long they were going to take to get home.  "I can radio him."  I'd always had an affinity for commo because of him, and I'd never been able to (nor was ever able to again) call out his call sign and mine over the radio, and have a conversation with him.  Two different wings.

Sorry, Ham and CAP comms are intertwined a lot, and I always think of him.