ESO Tech rating clarification

Started by Walkman, August 17, 2011, 03:10:33 AM

Walkman

For the Tech rating, there is the requirement "Participate in a minimum of three missions after qualification in an ES specialty. These SAR/DR missions must be actual (under an Air Fore or state mission number) or Air Force authorized training/evaluated SAR/DR missions."

Question 1: I have 3 ES ratings. Do all three of these missions need to be for the same rating (UDF, scanner, etc)?

Question 2: How do I find out if a training mission meets the criteria? Every training mission I've been on has had a mission #.

Thanks
-KW

cap235629

Quote from: Walkman on August 17, 2011, 03:10:33 AM
For the Tech rating, there is the requirement "Participate in a minimum of three missions after qualification in an ES specialty. These SAR/DR missions must be actual (under an Air Fore or state mission number) or Air Force authorized training/evaluated SAR/DR missions."

Question 1: I have 3 ES ratings. Do all three of these missions need to be for the same rating (UDF, scanner, etc)?

Question 2: How do I find out if a training mission meets the criteria? Every training mission I've been on has had a mission #.

Thanks
-KW

Item 1 - no
Item 2 - if it has a mission number it is an Air Force approved training mission.
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

RiverAux

Quote from: cap235629 on August 17, 2011, 03:18:48 AM
Item 2 - if it has a mission number it is an Air Force approved training mission.
Every mission has a number, but not all are AF assigned missions.  For some reason I can't find the list of mission types. 

Walkman

AF assigned would lead me to believe a Wing SAREX or SAREVAL, then, right?

Walkman

Also, if I'm reading this right its "missions" not "sorties". So, if I do 2 sorties during one mission, that doesn't count, right?

SarDragon

Quote from: Walkman on August 17, 2011, 03:37:30 AM
Also, if I'm reading this right its "missions" not "sorties". So, if I do 2 sorties during one mission, that doesn't count, right?

That's an area of contention, but generally if the sorties are on different days for a single mission number, you're OK.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

cap235629

Quote from: SarDragon on August 17, 2011, 04:33:46 AM
Quote from: Walkman on August 17, 2011, 03:37:30 AM

That's an area of contention, but generally if the sorties are on different days for a single mission number, you're OK.

For ground team quals it is an operational period defined by the IC
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

a2capt

Quote from: Walkman on August 17, 2011, 03:37:30 AMAlso, if I'm reading this right its "missions" not "sorties". So, if I do 2 sorties during one mission, that doesn't count, right?
Depends on which side of the GoB network you are on. They'll either use it against you, or "you have the right number of sorties"..

Personally, you go out on one day and do two totally different scenarios, whats the difference in doing one today and one tomorrow, as opposed to both today?

The difference is.. politics, power play and control-freakism abound.

Eclipse

I've always felt it should be two missions, though I recognize the logistical issues in many areas about missions at all

A mission isn't just the sortie - it's the spin up, your "r's", getting there and back, and being immersed in the environment, including being
productive (or at least not a liability) during the down times.

We focus so much on the sign-offs and the micro that we miss the macro a lot of the times.

With that said, this is a contentious issue, as 60-x doesn't even require those sorties be against a mission number at all, but we can't even get consensus on what that means in our wing / region.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

I agree with you to a point Eclipse......but not all missions are equal.

I have been on missions that have lasted all of four hours (from call up to last person signed out).

And we have missions that last 30 days or more.

The Specialty Guid makes no diferentiation between a short UDF, "found it in 2 hours mission" vs a "we still have not found him after 20 days and 100's of sorties" mission.

Also note that the R's for GT and Aircrew are much more involved then the R's for say FLM, MSA or MRO and for the purposes of the ESO rating it does care what specialty you are working in at the mission.

So IMHO, if you work all three days of a three day SAREX (with AFAM mission number...that is a A or B type mission) then you have fulfilled the requirments for this specialty.

YMMV
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

jeders

Quote from: Walkman on August 17, 2011, 03:10:33 AM

Every mission will have a number and it will either be an A-type, B-type, or C-type. A and B are AF assigned, C is corporate. In '98 when this was written, there were, I think, 3 C mission types. Proficiency flying, non-federal support, and other. Now there are 11 different C type missions which are used for more than just flying. When the pamphlet was written, C wasn't used for training mission numbers like it is today, so there was no reason to include it for the allowable missions.

In short, as it is written now, A and B missions count and C mission don't, though they really should.

This is just further proof that P213 is badly out of date and is in great need of being updated which I'm sure Col. Weiss will look into should he get elected.

As for the missions vs sorties for the Tech rating, I've always read it and enforced it as full missions from start to finish, not just sorties/operational periods. Like Eclipse said, there's more to a mission than just that one sortie. There's the mobilization, being productive during down time, actual sorties, and eventual demobilization, all of which contributes to the success of a mission.

Edit to add: here's the list of mission symbols.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

JC004

Quote from: jeders on August 17, 2011, 02:33:32 PM
This is just further proof that P213 is badly out of date and is in great need of being updated which I'm sure Col. Weiss will look into should he get elected.

He is going to KILL me when he looks at his notes and sees all the crap that I added...  The rest of the staff may also try to kill me...

arajca

Quote from: JC004 on August 17, 2011, 03:03:01 PM
Quote from: jeders on August 17, 2011, 02:33:32 PM

He is going to KILL me when he looks at his notes and sees all the crap that I added...  The rest of the staff may also try to kill me...
That depends. You have an active, interested, if somewhat contentious workforce here who would most likely be happy to lend a hand...

But then again, that may turn the rest of the staff into mass murders...

JC004

Seems like we have quite the good team.  They might just kill me for giving them so much work right out of the gate.  They'll have to deal, though.  There is a lot being worked on right out of the gate and even before the election - just so things are ready to rock and FLY from Day 1.

a2capt

Quote from: JC004 on August 17, 2011, 08:04:41 PM...just so things are ready to rock and FLY from Day 1.
... wait until the results are in, and concentrate on them only. At this point there really isn't much else to do but wait, at large.

HGjunkie

Quote from: JC004 on August 17, 2011, 08:04:41 PM
Seems like we have quite the good team.  They might just kill me for giving them so much work right out of the gate.  They'll have to deal, though.  There is a lot being worked on right out of the gate and even before the election - just so things are ready to rock and FLY from Day 1.

I'll jump for joy when Col. Weiss gets elected.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

JC004

Quote from: a2capt on August 18, 2011, 03:12:53 AM
Quote from: JC004 on August 17, 2011, 08:04:41 PM...just so things are ready to rock and FLY from Day 1.
... wait until the results are in, and concentrate on them only. At this point there really isn't much else to do but wait, at large.

Personally, I don't like to wait, then get a result and be left standing with everyone's eyes on me while I go "uuuuuuuuh, yeeeeeah, soooooo, we'll....do...um....everybody take a 15 minute break!".

We aren't re-writing all the regulations - we are laying the framework for communication, initial change and program announcements, weighing the viability of various proposals/ideas, doing staff selection (this is REQUIRED because they must be voted upon NOW), establishing priority issues that must be addressed, deciding what has to be done when, and working on what I think is going to be a very exciting initiative. 

We prepared well and well in advance for the campaign, getting things done and are now focused on finishing that while putting in place the things above as well as the IT systems and organizational systems that will ensure the changes are done, made with the right input/approval of relevant bodies/staff, fast, efficient, lean, effective, and communicated to the membership clearly/regularly.

This alone, in my opinion, demonstrates a very strong reason why he should be elected.  Things are being thought out, worked on as a team, laid down as foundations, done ahead of time, etc.  It is not focused on politics - just delivering the votes, making a transition, and bringing great things to CAP.  It's not focused on personal stuff, ribbons, awards, or stars on anyone's shoulders.  It's about the mission and that's it.