Main Menu

Bullying in a squadron

Started by Spencezilla, February 22, 2018, 05:01:58 AM

Spencezilla

I am a C/SSgt in the Oregon Wing. We have this C/Sra soon to be C/SSgt and he is bullying me. I told our cadet commanders what will happen to the bully.

Fester

Who did you report it to?  The Cadet Commander or a Senior Member?
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

Fester

If you haven't yet, you should have a conversation with your Deputy Commander for Cadets (Senior Member) or Squadron Commander (Senior Member.)
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

abdsp51

Quote from: Spencezilla on February 22, 2018, 05:01:58 AM
I am a C/SSgt in the Oregon Wing. We have this C/Sra soon to be C/SSgt and he is bullying me. I told our cadet commanders what will happen to the bully.

Call the cops with your parents and start a paper trail. 

OldGuy

Quote from: abdsp51 on February 22, 2018, 11:20:30 AM

Absent knowledge of a crime, why would you suggest that? "Bullying" is not always a crime and  calling the cops without good cause is both a waste of their time and a potential disaster for all involved.

The_CAP_Life_Chose_Me

I was told to just immediately go up the ranks (this is the only time I know of that you can skip the chain of command) to one of the senior members and report to them and then just let them take care of it.
C/SSgt Cassie

The_CAP_Life_Chose_Me

But for your question they most likely depending on their bullying, will either be demoted or kicked out.
C/SSgt Cassie

abdsp51

Quote from: Cicero on February 22, 2018, 12:13:43 PM
Quote from: abdsp51 on February 22, 2018, 11:20:30 AM

Absent knowledge of a crime, why would you suggest that? "Bullying" is not always a crime and  calling the cops without good cause is both a waste of their time and a potential disaster for all involved.

Bullying which usually includes some type of assault or harrasement, which are both crimes..  File a police report start the trail.

That is being much more generous than other options.

abdsp51

Quote from: The_CAP_Life_Chose_Me on February 22, 2018, 12:37:09 PM
But for your question they most likely depending on their bullying, will either be demoted or kicked out.

Not neccessarily.

OldGuy

Quote from: abdsp51 on February 22, 2018, 02:17:42 PM
Bullying which usually includes some type of assault or harrasement, which are both crimes..  File a police report start the trail.
Really? Absent any facts, you decide a crime is involved? Wow.

Robert Hartigan

I hope someone, somewhere in the senior member chain of command has gone "VFR direct" to this cadet's parents and squadron commander. A cadet coming here seeking advice like this is indicative of a bigger problem!

In my opinion there is a trust issue here, either this cadet does not have anyone to trust at the local unit or he is putting too much trust in the awareness level and abilities of the chain of command. Unfortunately, based on my experience with CAP, this cadet is probably going to be blamed in some way.
<><><>#996
GRW   #2717

OldGuy

Best practice:

1 - Engage your parents. They hopefully will help you analyze the situation and determine how serious it is.
2 - Engage a Senior Member - DCC / CC or Chaplain ASAP.
3 - Keep a very fact based diary, date time, specific words and action, as well as witnesses to same.

Ignore the rest of the well meaning advice, as they are unaware of the facts on the ground. Your parents and the Squadron Senior member / command staff are the folks that are able to help.

4 - If the local folks cannot help, engage the Inspector General.

OldGuy

https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/members/cap-national-hq/inspector-general/complaints/

Civil Air Patrol
Inspector General

Complaints Program

CIVIL AIR PATROL COMPLAINTS PROGRAM

The Civil Air Patrol Complaints Program is intended to create an environment where complaints, grievances and misunderstandings can be resolved.  The Complaint System is a last resort management tool.  Every effort should be made to satisfy complaints and grievances at the supervisory or command level where they occur.  While the opportunity always exists to elevate issues to the IG and even to Congressional levels, CAP personnel should be aware that allegations are investigated at the level where they occurred.  The same person who could or should have originally answered the complaint is usually tasked to do so from a higher level.

In other words, if a squadron member has a complaint or grievance or suspects a fraud, waste or abuse problem exists, he/she should bring it to the attention of the unit commander.  If the problem directly involves the commander, then take it to the next higher commander (i.e. group commander).  The first person to contact is NOT the IG, a member of congress, the governor or the CAP National Commander.  Quite often the perceived problem is just a misunderstanding and can be easily corrected or explained.

Allow some time once you have contacted the commander.  The commander may only devote two or three evenings per week to the CAP.  Remember, he/she is a volunteer too and has many other obligations outside of CAP.  If it appears nothing is being done after a reasonable period of time, you may want exercise your rights and responsibilities under the complaints system.

There are exceptions to this.  Allegations of sexual harassment or abuse, verbal or written, will be immediately reported by the unit commander to the wing or region commander, who in turn will immediately report it to NHQ CAP/GC.  Incidents and complaints regarding alleged discrimination or discriminatory practices will be reported promptly to the wing or region commander, who shall immediately report the incident to CAP Equal Opportunity Officer at  NHQ (CAP/IGC).  In incidents or complaints regarding an alleged hostile environment, unit commanders will immediately report the allegation to the wing commander, region commander, or inspector general.

Once you have decided to contact the IG, you should refer to CAPR 123-2 to determine if your concern or grievance meets the definition of a complaint.  If it does, you should follow the steps for "Complaints Submission" outlined in CAPR 123-2 (soon to be CAPR 20-2).

abdsp51

Quote from: Cicero on February 22, 2018, 04:42:49 PM
Quote from: abdsp51 on February 22, 2018, 02:17:42 PM
Really? Absent any facts, you decide a crime is involved? Wow.

Did you not read what was said.  Bullying on the average involves some type of physical assault and or  harrasement.  Both are crimes.  The OP never gave specifics.  And yes bullying in some states is actually considered a crime now. 

I could have given other advice but given how sensitive people here are it would not have been well recieved.  Filing a police report is an action that can be taken and if this is a solid case of bullying should be taken.

OldGuy

Quote from: abdsp51 on February 22, 2018, 05:27:10 PM
Did you not read what was said.  Bullying on the average involves some type of physical assault and or  (sic) harrasement.  Both are crimes.  The OP never gave specifics.  And yes bullying in some states is actually considered a crime now. 
You have no idea what happened or what state laws apply. Your advice may be - probably is - well intentioned, but it is way to broad given the fact set. Again you only know that a claim of bullying has been made. Nothing else. Parental involvement, sure. Senior staff involvement, sure. If - and only if a crime happened, based on a responsible adult with knowledge of the facts then calling in law enforcement. Again, just calling the cops on what you know is - at best - premature.

abdsp51

Quote from: Cicero on February 22, 2018, 05:44:31 PM
Did you not read what was said.  Bullying on the average involves some type of physical assault and or  (sic) harrasement.  Both are crimes.  The OP never gave specifics.  And yes bullying in some states is actually considered a crime now. 
You have no idea what happened or what state laws apply. Your advice may be - probably is - well intentioned, but it is way to broad given the fact set. Again you only know that a claim of bullying has been made. Nothing else. Parental involvement, sure. Senior staff involvement, sure. If - and only if a crime happened, based on a responsible adult with knowledge of the facts then calling in law enforcement. Again, just calling the cops on what you know is - at best - premature.

The OP asked for advice and advice was given.  You're outline saying it's unjust and premature without knowing the facts yourself. 

OldGuy

Quote from: abdsp51 on February 22, 2018, 05:48:42 PM

The OP asked for advice and advice was given.  You're outline saying it's unjust and premature without knowing the facts yourself.
Bad advice absent facts was given. My advice takes that lack of facts into account. You seem unwilling to see the difference. -30-

abdsp51

Quote from: Cicero on February 22, 2018, 05:50:53 PM
Quote from: abdsp51 on February 22, 2018, 05:48:42 PM

Bad advice absent facts was given. My advice takes that lack of facts into account. You seem unwilling to see the difference. -30-

Sound advice.  But I guess you would rather have it continue than dealt with.  Or maybe you'd prefer the alternatives.

Luis R. Ramos

Abd, that was mean!

He never, but never said for it to continue!

I guess you are the kind of guy that would go directly to the Centers of Disease Control when a visit to your doctor would suffice.
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

abdsp51

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on February 22, 2018, 06:49:44 PM
Abd, that was mean!

He never, but never said for it to continue!

I guess you are the kind of guy that would go directly to the Centers of Disease Control when a visit to your doctor would suffice.

I was hardly mean..  I can be mean if you would like.  Cicero was out of line and called on it.  Unlike many here I have a thick skin and don't take every little slight or barb and cry "violates our core value of respect". 

Police action is a very suitable action and sound advice.  I never once stated or inferred what the alternative was.   

Maybe you Luis are ok with someone especially a minor being consistantly bullied and let it progress but I am not.