New Cadet Commander & want some advice

Started by ty2zoom, October 14, 2012, 05:12:52 PM

ty2zoom

Hi i will be picking up the Cadet Commander position at my squadron in a week and wanted some last minute advice.

i have put together a binder with how i want to train cadets and build that foundation they need.

anyways im happy for any advice thx.

Extremepredjudice

I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

ty2zoom

You know the hey don't do this. And that this worked for me kind of stuff. Anything you can think i guess haha

captearhart

Don't make the person above you hate you.  This is probably the absolute worst thing you can do.  It's also a good idea to be able to delegate efficiently.  I don't know what position you've been promoted from, but a common mistake is to try to do everything yourself and being afraid to let your successor take over your old position completely.  Trust your staff to get their work done.

AngelWings

Quote from: ty2zoom on October 14, 2012, 05:42:50 PM
You know the hey don't do this. And that this worked for me kind of stuff. Anything you can think i guess haha
As a relatively new Cadet Commander, Here is my advice:
Do NOT be buddy bud with cadets
Do NOT do everything by yourself
Do NOT run things like a dictatorship
Do create a way of communicating with your corps members and lower staff effectively without becoming buddy buds with them
Do make things interesting when you can
Make schedules a month in advance, with the ability to fill them in or take parts out as needed
Work with your CDC to make schedules
Ask for help when needed
Try to use people smartly, as in if someone is gifted in ES, try to make them have a say in ES training (working very well for me)
Make CAP a fun place to go to
Avoid making schedules with fillers in them, like all drill, exercise, classwork, etc.
Depending on your numbers, try to make positions for people. The more power some people feel they have (but actually don't), the better everything runs
Give "Attaboys!" just enough to make people feel as if you appreciate them, people will go nuts just to feel as if you like them
Don't focus all on one area of our 3 missions.
Try as much as possible to make CAP fun for your cadets
Have EVERYTHING in paperwork
CYA is the best policy

Dad2-4

Some really good advice above.
DO listen to and counsel with your CDC. Good way to piss him/her off is to completely ignore them.
Counsel with your staff, CDC, CC, about what things they would like to see happen in the Cadet Programs. More voices means more ideas. This does not mean you have to accept every idea.
Yes, make those schedules and make sure everyone knows what's on them. "I didn't know" should not be an excuse.
Make sure you are squared away and professional. Set the highest example you can. This means uniform, attitude, communication, etc.
Train your staff and/or find mentors who can train them.
Delegate and follow up.
Don't get so caught up in the position that you don't have some fun. Remember, you're not just running the Cadet program, but you're part of it.

AngelWings

Quote from: Dad2-4 on October 14, 2012, 10:51:36 PM
Some really good advice above.
DO listen to and counsel with your CDC. Good way to piss him/her off is to completely ignore them.
Counsel with your staff, CDC, CC, about what things they would like to see happen in the Cadet Programs. More voices means more ideas. This does not mean you have to accept every idea.
Yes, make those schedules and make sure everyone knows what's on them. "I didn't know" should not be an excuse.
Make sure you are squared away and professional. Set the highest example you can. This means uniform, attitude, communication, etc.
Train your staff and/or find mentors who can train them.
Delegate and follow up.
Don't get so caught up in the position that you don't have some fun. Remember, you're not just running the Cadet program, but you're part of it.
+1,000,000,000

This is very great advice, some of which I wish I was told when I got the position.

ol'fido

Start training your replacement.
Document everything that works and more importantly what doesn't work.
Put it all in a continuity folder to help the replacement you are training.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: ol'fido on October 15, 2012, 12:06:40 AM
Document everything that works and more importantly what doesn't work.
Put it all in a continuity folder to help the replacement you are training.
You would not believe how helpful a continuity folder is.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

jeders

Quote from: ol'fido on October 15, 2012, 12:06:40 AM

Everything that has been said here is wonderful advice, and it seems that you have a pretty good plan already. But if you don't start training your replacement now, it will make the next transition that much harder. If your squadron is big enough to have a cadet deputy, then that's your future replacement. Make sure that he/she is competent and willing, and work with him/her. This way when it's time for you to step down, the new guy/gal can step up without any bumps.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

wacapgh

It will also help us to help you if we know some more of your situation.

Advice to a C/TSgt taking command will be different than to a C/Maj or C/Lt Col, due to your experience in the program.

If you have just one flight attending every week is a different situation that if you have two full flights, several staff members, a deputy an exec and a First Sergeant, etc.

ty2zoom

A little more information:

-I am currently a cadet 1st Lt.
-We have a average attendance of 12 cadets at a meeting.
-We have a total of three officer including me: a Major and a 2nd Lt both of them have been cadet commanders before myself. But are moving on to college now. So they can only attend every once and awhile.
-As well as one C/SMSgt and no other NCO (on C/SrAmn is close and should have here Staff Sargent by the time I take command.
-Every other cadet in the squadron is an airman.

We are a composite squadron so we have many senior members.

My goal is to train the cadets and give them the foundation they need to be successful.
As well as covering the three mission of the CAP with fun trips and activities. 

Anyways that's a little bit about my situation and thank you to everyone who had given me advice so far I really appricieate it.

MSG Mac

If you are over 17 take the Equal Opportunity and CPPT courses on line. If not, do it anyways.
Know the Regulations pertaining to Cadet Programs. Also Personnel and Awards. The cadets will be in awe of you, if you recommend them for something as routine as a red service ribbon or recruiting ribbon.

Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Eclipse

Life is chess, not checkers.  Think a few moves ahead and take your time, but don't exceed the time allotted.

Consider how those in your charge will react and be impacted by decisions - that doesn't mean you avoid
the hard choices, or fail to act when necessary, but the impact of actions on subordinates always needs to be considered,
especially in a volunteer environment.

Make sure you, your superiors, and your subordinates are clear and agree on the bounds of your authority - exceeding them is a great way
to lose the respect and support of both groups.

You are in command whether or not people like it, or you, so there's no reason to try and "prove" you're in command
by trying to push people around, make arbitrary changes, settle scores, or build a fiefdom.

Man has two ears and one mouth, and they should be used in that proportion.

Sometimes the best response to a question is silence.  Many times the person will answer his own question,
or tell you more then you expected to hear just to fill the void.

A good idea is good idea, regardless of who it comes from, and acknowledging when you make a mistake or a poor decision
shows maturity and that you are focused on "doing right, not being right."

If you aren't enjoying it at least 50% of the time, change something or move on to something else.

You can manage people who don't respect you, but you cannot lead them.  Make sure you model the behavior and
bearing that you expect in your subordinates.  Probably the most important word Dick Winters ever spoke were "follow me".

"That Others May Zoom"

SamFranklin

There's a whole chapter on the challenges of being a new commander in Learn to Lead (chapter 11). Looks like it's about half theory and half practical advice.

akwingspilot

Can i have a copy of your binder, My cadet commander is lost in this concept.