FLIR on Commercial Airliners

Started by spacecommand, September 10, 2010, 01:14:48 AM

spacecommand

Someone mentioned night-vision on airliners (though it was probably a mistake), but any case, it got me thinking.

I was looking at past cases of commercial airline crashes involving poor viability (night time/ bad weather) etc.
To prevent future accidents due to poor visibility, wouldn't it be wise to equip commercial airliners with forward looking infrared (FLIR) systems that could be turned on during such conditions?

Is it just be a matter of airlines saying "it's too expensive" or "those types of accidents are very rare to implement such a system" ?

SABRE17

there is a general aviation form of this ive heard about, idk about cost and implementation, course they said the same thing about TCAS and thats almost if not already standard

Thrashed

The modern planes have autoland, so you don't need to see.  It depends on the plane and approach. Some autolands are CAT II or CAT III, or IIIA, etc (different minimums required). When I was on the 777 we could land fine without seeing.  Taxiing was another issue!

Save the triangle thingy

CASH172

Enhanced Vision Systems have been around for years.  I don't know if the technology is similar in function to FLIR but it looks similar in a lot of ways and it does the job that you mention.  A lot of biz jets have these but 121 carriers are a completely different culture when it comes down to equipping a whole fleet with technology on this level. 

http://www.gulfstream.com/gulfstreamevs/

Within GA, aircraft are now becoming available with synthetic vision.  It which isn't as good as FLIR or EVS, but suits the GA community with a cost effective solution.

Quote from: Thrash on September 10, 2010, 02:25:00 AM
The modern planes have autoland, so you don't need to see.  It depends on the plane and approach. Some autolands are CAT II or CAT III, or IIIA, etc (different minimums required). When I was on the 777 we could land fine without seeing.  Taxiing was another issue!

Autoland is nice, but there are still airports with just non-precision approaches, which I'm sure you know.

Thrashed

Quote from: CASH172 on September 10, 2010, 03:34:18 AM
Autoland is nice, but there are still airports with just non-precision approaches, which I'm sure you know.

Not where I fly!

Save the triangle thingy

Flying Pig

Aircraft have FLIRs in the nose.  I believe most Gulfstreams do.  Whenever they come into Fresno KFAT I always see the lens in the nose of most of the newer corporate jets.  Just keep in mind FLIR is a brand name.