Previous and Future CAP Uniforms

Started by airtrekker5, December 14, 2010, 05:19:19 PM

SARDOC

Quote from: Hawk200 on December 16, 2010, 09:42:15 PM
Quote from: SARDOC on December 16, 2010, 08:43:09 PMWe just don't need a Camouflage pattern for our mission.  I don't think the color pattern is going to reassure a customer as to your professionalism, it's your attitude and conduct.  Especially when you walk into a command post with SAR, Coast Guard, DMAT, MMRS and FEMA's USAR teams and they are all wearing Blue BDU style uniforms and people think the guy in the Camo from the organization they've never heard of is trying too hard to play army.

I've spent my life as a professional rescuer and I think you are thinking camo gives you the appearance of professionalism.  heck, even some of the National Guard Civil Support teams don't wear camo all the time.  It's better to actually be good...then just trying to look good
I don't think the problem is the camo, it's the insignia. Ours simply does not look professional. The tapes look crappy on BDUs or BBDUs. I'd be willing to be that anyone in a command post is going to accept help from someone whether they're in ACUs, ABUs, NWU, or MCUU. The Coast Guard rarely uses cammi, the blue is their standard utility.

I'm not sure what CSTs you're seeing that aren't wearing camo. It's the utility uniform, and I don't know any that have legitimate uniform variations authorized. CSTs are still military, they're not going to change it out just to work with civil authorities.

I honestly don't care which uniform we wear.  I agree that the Ultramarine color leaves a lot to be desired...I'm not sure where else we can improve with the insignia other then the shear volume of patches and bling seems a bit excessive.  If you look in CAPR 39-1 for the BBDU image the LtCol's uniform would be fine if it were pressed.  The Major's uniform has that awful Comm Patch above his name..  As far as the other Comm patch on the left pocket...I'm torn...it looks okay, but makes the uniform look busy. IMO I also think the Wing Patch should be optional...I'm a minimalist.

I just wish we would just wear the same uniform across our membership so that when we did participate in emergency services we don't have the rag tag (look what I found at the surplus store) appearance.  I understand that some people see the BDU's as a recruiting tool for the cadet program.  Teen's do happen to think it has that CDI factor.  Don't really care I just wish our uniform was actually "Uniform"

Some of the CST's I've worked with in the past for OPSEC reasons try to keep a subdued profile.  My point was they don't always wear camo.  Sometimes they don't wear a uniform at all..my point was they don't need camo to be professional.

JK657

What if:

The Air Force said ABU's for all of CAP , the only catch is no rank insignia.

Do you wear it or stay with BDUs?

DakRadz

Quote from: JK657 on December 17, 2010, 07:21:14 AM
What if:

Just for giggles, what is the cadet standard? Same?

a2capt

That would be .. interesting. Considering rank is a big part of the program as a whole.

The CyBorg is destroyed

What if:

Or do what the AF tried back a few years ago...delete all sew-on insignia and just wear an aircrew-type leather nameplate above the left pocket.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

FARRIER

I'm game for that. No other patches or insignia. We still have the shoulder slide rank insignia for the USAF and Aviator Uniform. Let the cadets keep the name tapes and sew on insignia. :)

Quote from: CyBorg on December 17, 2010, 09:00:07 AM
What if:

Or do what the AF tried back a few years ago...delete all sew-on insignia and just wear an aircrew-type leather nameplate above the left pocket.
Photographer/Photojournalist
IT Professional
Licensed Aircraft Dispatcher

http://www.commercialtechimagery.com/stem-and-aerospace

Hawk200

Quote from: CyBorg on December 17, 2010, 09:00:07 AM
What if:

I'd be for it.

Sadly, it didn't stay like that. We only wore it that way for a couple years before we had to start sewing rank back on. I guess they didn't realize how stupid stripes on the sleeves looked with the ASNP. Didn't look so bad for officers, but with enlisted, it was hideous.

manfredvonrichthofen

Why not just keep everything as is currently on the BDU, except take the giant patches off? Keep the wing patch where it is, move squadron patches to the right sleeve above the flag, and get rid of the rest of the junk like the massive ES patch and comms patches for SMs. Keep the rank and skill badges as they are and make it look more professional by getting rid of some of the cluttering patches on the chest. If they keep making new giant patches we are going to start seeing patches going on the lower pockets too, and that would just be absolutely gross!

Hawk200

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on December 17, 2010, 06:54:19 PM
Why not just keep everything as is currently on the BDU, except take the giant patches off? Keep the wing patch where it is, move squadron patches to the right sleeve above the flag, and get rid of the rest of the junk like the massive ES patch and comms patches for SMs. Keep the rank and skill badges as they are and make it look more professional by getting rid of some of the cluttering patches on the chest. If they keep making new giant patches we are going to start seeing patches going on the lower pockets too, and that would just be absolutely gross!
So make it look like a pseudo-Army uniform? I wouldn't go for it. I already wear an Army uniform, I don't want a second one. Most people in my unit don't even know I'm in CAP, I'd get a lot of ribbing if not outright hostility if they did. I don't even want to think about what it would be like if we wore a uniform configured like an older Army one.

If for some reason, the entire military went to an ACU design, I wouldn't have an issue with following suit. I don't think it's going to happen though.

The wing patch isn't required, and not really needed. The flag isn't either. It was worn primarily by military personnel overseas (although not everyone wore one) to identify country.

For a minimalist approach to BDUs of both colors, I'd stick to badges. Three of them(Commanders would be permitted a fourth, the command badge over the nametag). Two over the tape, one on the left pocket(similar to what the Air Force does now). Tapes and rank the only other thing authorized.

Putting other than rank insignia on the sleeves is an Army thing. Doesn't belong in an Auxiliary(however part-time) of the Air Force. Keep it simple.

manfredvonrichthofen

Also FWIW, I was at the local surplus store, which is absolutely awesome. The owner was a CAP cadet with my dad when they were kids, in the same squadron that I am in now. He gives small discounts on almost anything for CAP members. He had a good stash of BDUs, or so I thought before getting close enough to see them well. Most were past serviceability and were priced great but were at a point where I wouldn't purchase them except for spare field uniforms for my 72 hr pack. The majority upon closer inspection were not U.S. BDU patterns. He did have quite a few ABU uniforms that were used, in GREAT condition priced at about $55 for a jacket and pants together, he also had brand new sets that would cost about $80 a set. Now for BDU they were right about the same within $5 a set. BBDU were about $10 more than the ABU. So switching to BBDU for everyone doesn't seem like it would be that cost effective solution that everyone thinks it is. Switching to something more mainlined like the ABU or whatever USAF decides will be their next uniform seems like that answer that everyone is looking for especially when the ROTC programs and ANG and all the other groups start DXing their uniforms due to people graduation or moving on and whatnot. Those groups do tend to give their old uniforms to JROTC and CAP units for surplus use. It really does seem to me that sticking with what USAF is wearing is the answer to all the concerns except for what some see as a problem that we are "too military".

JK657

Quote from: DakRadz on December 17, 2010, 07:39:03 AM
What if:

Just for giggles, what is the cadet standard? Same?

The only reason I bring this up is because in the end, the biggest hangup (in my opinion) is Senior Member rank. AFJROTC and AFROTC can wear them (ABU), but they use distinctive rank insignia. All uniform issues always seem to come back to rank on the uniform. I feel like if you either deleted it off of the field uniform or went to a distinctive insignia maybe USAF wouldnt have all the heart burn and CAP wouldn't be treated like a redheaded step child.

YMMV  8)

Earhart1971

CAP's only Hope is to assign me as UNIFORM DICTATOR! I will make  us look good, I guarantee it!

I will focus group the Uniforms, with Cadets and Seniors.

The Air Force will not be allowed to pull the "Confused" Stunt to cancel our uniform.

It will look different than the Air Force anyway.

Seriously, is there still a Uniform Committee assigned by NHQ?

ol'fido

Uniform Committee??? DON'T ASK. DON'T TELL.   :-X
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

HGjunkie

••• retired
2d Lt USAF

a2capt

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: a2capt on December 18, 2010, 02:05:26 AM
No, but the TPU has been.

Yes, DADT has been repealed and last I heard CAP had a uniform committee.

Everyone tell me what good would come about having a uniform that separates us from USAF?

Everyone tell me what good would come from separating CAP from the major entity that has given us the chance to have our history?

Tell me why you are in an organization that has roots to the military and has a rank structure that runs the same as USAF when you hate it so much.

DakRadz

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on December 18, 2010, 02:24:47 AM
Quote from: a2capt on December 18, 2010, 02:05:26 AM
No, but the TPU has been.

Yes, DADT has been repealed and last I heard CAP had a uniform committee.
Senate is expected to vote on that soon- the House keeps passing it, needs Senate approval still. Not repealed yet.
Quote from: JK657 on December 18, 2010, 12:00:11 AM
AFROTC can wear them (ABU), but they use distinctive rank insignia.
AFROTC is moot, in my opinion, because that is first and foremost an officer training program. Juniors and Seniors are USAF-contracted and in the Reserves in some way, so them having uniforms follows..

Hawk200

Quote from: DakRadz on December 18, 2010, 03:47:37 AM
AFROTC is moot, in my opinion, because that is first and foremost an officer training program. Juniors and Seniors are USAF-contracted and in the Reserves in some way, so them having uniforms follows..
What about the Junior side of the house? What are they wearing?

manfredvonrichthofen

JROTC is mostly unit discretion. Here, they are in ABU.

DakRadz

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on December 18, 2010, 04:32:40 AM
JROTC is mostly unit discretion. Here, they are in ABU.
Wrongly. We are still in BDUs per our overseeing organization in the USAF. No ABUs have been officially authorized. HOWEVER, I will say my unit allows cadets to wear the JROTC tapes and patch if they purchase all ABU items with their own money. Technically it's BDUs only, though.

The combat uniforms are a carefully monitored subject in JROTC- a letter must be obtained from the Principal each year saying that cadets can wear BDUs to school. It is a reward type uniform. Blues thrice a month and BDUs once. We also wear them for activities that warrant them.
The program can be conducted without BDUs because AFJROTC actually issues full PT gear which can be worn in lieu of dirtying blues.