Previous and Future CAP Uniforms

Started by airtrekker5, December 14, 2010, 05:19:19 PM

Hawk200

Quote from: RiverAux on December 15, 2010, 04:02:30 AM
I'd trade switching to ABUs for getting rid of the ultramarine/white stuff on the BDUs.  If we get ABUs with ultramarine on them I'd just cry.  White on a dark navy blue is what needs to happen -- it way different than what the AF has but actually looks professional instead of idiotic.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

abdsp51

Try qmuniforms or any number of places on online.  You can even try Kellac.com and I believe they can set you up with a set custom made.

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: abdsp51 on December 15, 2010, 05:37:55 AM
Try qmuniforms or any number of places on online.  You can even try Kellac.com and I believe they can set you up with a set custom made.

The cheapest place I have found was nametape.com, and they are $5 each and you have to get three minimum, so doing the math that is $30 not including shipping, or shipping back when you get one that is sub par, and you will always get one that is. I know they aren't required, but I love my CIB, I am proud of it like crazy, it marks a huge part of my life.

WRONG POST SORRY.

GroundHawg

I was issued and wore the pickle suit when I first joined. I bought a set of OD slant pocket fatigues, still the best looking uniform Ive ever worn. I dont mind the BDU, I just wish we could ditch the flag. Honestly, I wish we could go to OD BDU's or OD army cut uniforms... ABU's are garbage. I seriously hate them.

manfredvonrichthofen

Most people in the military think that their field uniform is ugly or trash for whatever reason. I don't like it either, I prefer the look and feel of the ACU, but we are not Army. We are USAF associated, part of keeping that association is wearing a uniform similar to theirs, so that is what we should wear. The thing I hate the most is those gnasty ugly hideous boots,
[img alt=]http://captalk.net/MGalleryItem.php?id=330[/img]
why not just go with coyote tan?

abdsp51

The green boots are a waste of money and time, period they are hideous.

Earhart1971

Quote from: Ned on December 14, 2010, 05:56:44 PM
As it turns out, just last week I was speaking with the CAP-USAF commander on this very issue.  I was reminding him that BDU availability and pricing were becoming significant issues for the CP, and seeking his insight as to when the ABU might be released for CAP.

Ned Lee

I am afraid of what CAP NHQ and the Air Force will decide (like color of Name Tapes) to make the ABU look "different" so we don't get mistaken for Active Duty Air Force.

a2capt

Well, the problem is, our nametape color is not ultramarine blue in a berry board kind of way, but rather because we never changed it when the uniform changed back when. 

I wouldn't be surprised if it were due to inventory on hand and not wanting to stock two different kinds at the bookstore when CAP ran it. But it could be because the Air Force said, "no, you keep that". but the pickle suit had the same blue on it.

Though it seems that the only one different anymore, is CAP, among the military themed and/or affiliated cadet programs such as Cadet Alliance, j/ROTC, etc.

gordo07

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on December 15, 2010, 05:54:09 AM
Most people in the military think that their field uniform is ugly or trash for whatever reason. I don't like it either, I prefer the look and feel of the ACU, but we are not Army. We are USAF associated, part of keeping that association is wearing a uniform similar to theirs, so that is what we should wear. The thing I hate the most is those gnasty ugly hideous boots,

Personally I would love it if they let those of us living out in the desert states wear the tan flight suits, definitly cooler (tempreture wise) than the blue or green.

a2capt

...and it was even in the mainstream news recently:

Hawk200

Quote from: a2capt on December 15, 2010, 04:44:25 PM
Well, the problem is, our nametape color is not ultramarine blue in a berry board kind of way, but rather because we never changed it when the uniform changed back when. 

I wouldn't be surprised if it were due to inventory on hand and not wanting to stock two different kinds at the bookstore when CAP ran it. But it could be because the Air Force said, "no, you keep that". but the pickle suit had the same blue on it.

Though it seems that the only one different anymore, is CAP, among the military themed and/or affiliated cadet programs such as Cadet Alliance, j/ROTC, etc.
If we had to have blue tapes, I'd certainly want a Navy or Midnight blue color(Midnight closely matches the blues stripe colors). They would certainly look better than "ultramarine" (Yes, I know, it's a throwback to the old aviation branch colors, but nowadays, it's almost garish).

An unusual, but unique, option would be to go with what the Air Force indicates for ABU's in 36-2903: "Airman Battle Uniform. Tan in color with midnight blue letters embroidered on tape." I'm sure it's a screwup, but it probably wouldn't look half bad (any photoshop experts out there willing to mock it up?). The only thing that would really have to be made would be our badges, everything else is readily available. Yeah, I know having "desert subdued" probably wouldn't fly, but I can dream.

Earhart1971

Subdued tapes are fine, I have no problem with them.

I dont see a problem with having uniforms that match the Air Force. I never understood the dogma of looking "different" other than the people that wear the uniform out of weight standard or with beards.

There are no inventories of tapes, they are made on a embrodery machine as needed. We can get them in two days.

Is there still a NHQ Appointed Uniform Committee?

JoeTomasone

Quote from: Earhart1971 on December 15, 2010, 08:37:38 PM

I dont see a problem with having uniforms that match the Air Force. I never understood the dogma of looking "different" other than the people that wear the uniform out of weight standard or with beards.

So that we are not mistaken for AD, which could have UCMJ/CoC issues, or worse, would be ripe for abuse. 

indygreg

Quote from: Hawk200 on December 15, 2010, 04:41:48 AM
I'd trade switching to ABUs for getting rid of the ultramarine/white stuff on the BDUs.  If we get ABUs with ultramarine on them I'd just cry.  White on a dark navy blue is what needs to happen -- it way different than what the AF has but actually looks professional instead of idiotic.

I've seen the Ultramarine tapes on ABU's, and honestly, it doesn't look that bad. 

RiverAux

Quote from: JoeTomasone on December 15, 2010, 09:44:30 PM
Quote from: Earhart1971 on December 15, 2010, 08:37:38 PM

So that we are not mistaken for AD, which could have UCMJ/CoC issues, or worse, would be ripe for abuse.
Yeah, our airmen are apparently so dumb that they can't read nametapes and have to depend on the color to make sure they don't mistakenly launch a missile after being ordered to by a CAP officer. 

davidsinn

Could somebody explain to me how switching to a more expensive uniform that is only worn by one service and is not old enough to hit the surplus market will solve our BDU shortage and pricing issues?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Fly Boy

Quote from: indygreg on December 15, 2010, 09:44:51 PM
Quote from: Hawk200 on December 15, 2010, 04:41:48 AM

I've seen the Ultramarine tapes on ABU's, and honestly, it doesn't look that bad. 

(Excuse my poor MS Paint Skills) I agree. It would look better though without the wing and Flag Patches.

Quote from: davidsinn on December 15, 2010, 11:43:24 PM
Could somebody explain to me how switching to a more expensive uniform that is only worn by one service and is not old enough to hit the surplus market will solve our BDU shortage and pricing issues?

It won't. Alot of people, including myself, would rather hear a definite date on when CAP will transition to the ABU and until that happens we will continue to have threads like these with speculations on how the uniform will look, how to make it look better, and if we should get it at all. And then there is always someone who will say we should go full CAP Distinctive. >:D

C/1st Lt. Kaufman
SER-FL-169

PHall

Quote from: gordo07 on December 15, 2010, 04:52:10 PM
Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on December 15, 2010, 05:54:09 AM

Personally I would love it if they let those of us living out in the desert states wear the tan flight suits, definitly cooler (tempreture wise) than the blue or green.

The tan flight suits are no cooler then the green ones. It's still Nomex.

JoeTomasone

cap235629

Quote from: JoeTomasone on December 16, 2010, 02:55:26 AM

I think I could get behind this....

You would have to be behind it for the tapes to be correct  ;D
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé