Active Shooter training as a safety meeting topic

Started by Live2Learn, December 22, 2015, 02:31:42 AM

umpirecali

Nothing of the sort.  But I can tell you that if that type of incident occurs at a CAP event, that prohibition is a contributing factor. 

I don't disagree with you... but that doesn't mean we have to talk about gun free zones and other political hot topics.  Why is this such a hard topic for you to grasp?

Speaker: "Ok folks we are here today to talk about what to do if God forbid an active shooter comes in our building..."

Red person: "Isn't it true that Obama wants to take away all our guns and..."

Speaker interrupts: "that's not what we are here to talk about tonight..."

Blue person: "but if we pass stricter gun laws..."

Speaker interrupts: "all valid topics for discussion, but not here, tonight we are here to talk about what to do if ..."
Capt Chris Cali, CAP
Deputy Commander
Deputy Commander for Cadets

Spam

arajca

Quote from: abdsp51 on December 25, 2015, 12:51:02 AM
Nothing of the sort.  But I can tell you that if that type of incident occurs at a CAP event, that prohibition is a contributing factor.  And hate to break it to you buddy but guns are not prohibited in airports.  And if an active shooter ever enters your building then you and the rest of the senior members failed in knowing who belongs there and providing adequate security measures. 

You want to teach to survive a little power point or wanna be youtube video isn't going to cut it.
You are assuming the seniors have control over the whole building. This is not usually the case. If a unit meets at a school, there probably will be other groups there as well.  Same can be said of a church.

We can control some entrances, but not all.

Do we know who belongs there by name or face? Not if they're not in the unit. If someone unfamiliar walks in, they are intercepted. Most often they're looking for the Boy Scouts, who meet at the same night and time. The Boy Scouts use other entrances than we use. If someone wants to get in, it's not a problem. From what I've read, most active shooters don't come in guns blazing. They get inside, then pull their weapons.

sarmed1

Entry and concealment are easy.  Look like you belong, and no one usually asks you any questions, sometimes not even for ID.  If bags, cases and packs are part of that then all the better.  Most people as a matter of political correctness are not that vigilant.  In a previous assignment (given pre-9/11) it was part of my job to try and get myself and weapons/IED's into places they didn't belong and do other psedu-nefarious things.  This was primarily during exercises when they knew they were supposed to be looking extra hard, we were more often successful than not.  If someone is determined to do one of those types of things, they will.  The best the rest of us can do is be prepared to act when that magic first defense line fails.  Active shooter training is key to any group in any location, and IMHO should be a topic of safety discussion for CAP units.

As a medical professional, it is also important to teach/touch on immediate medical care.  Like flying pig mentioned, LE is going to bypass anyone who isnt a threat especially when shots are still being fired and likely for a good time after that, this includes providing medical care.  It is more likely you will die from injury (blood loss) before medical help will get to you than the initial shooting (less than 40% of GSW type wounds in "combat" type injuries are immediately fatal)  Though the process is slowly changing, most EMS services still won enter a scene, until police declare it safe, ie have found the threat and ensure its ended, including secondary devices or other actors.  In some cases this is upwards of 45-90 minutes; bleeding control (TQ's and pressure dressings) and simple airway control  by your friends and co-workers while you are waiting will be what makes the difference if you made it thru the initial attack....

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

Pace

I think the OP has been adequately given enough feedback. I am also not a fan of the ill-attempted humor over a subject that is a crippling reality in our society right now. For those whose lives have been affected or will be affected by mass violence, it's not funny. Keep that stuff in your PM box.

*lock*
Lt Col, CAP