Delaying Senior Member Promotion

Started by A.Member, January 07, 2010, 05:09:34 AM

Cecil DP

Quote from: Eclipse on January 25, 2010, 03:53:16 PM
Quote from: flyboy1 on January 25, 2010, 11:54:16 AM
Meeting TIG and training requirements does not automatically guarantee promotion. Certainly, gold-star participation makes promotions easier. Lack of participation is the reason why my unit has a 22-year-old flight officer still on the books.

Um...over 21 you're no longer eligible for FO grades.

The member reverts to the equivalent regular grade.

No, he reverts to SMWOG
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Al Sayre

Meeting TIG and training requirements does not automatically guarantee promotion. Certainly, gold-star participation makes promotions easier. Lack of participation is the reason why my unit has a 22-year-old flight officer still on the books.

I've got one of those too.  If he ever shows up for another meeting I'll worry about it.  Until then, I've got too many other things to worry about...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

lordmonar

Quote from: Cecil DP on January 25, 2010, 04:33:57 PM

No, he reverts to SMWOG

I don't think so.  In this case it is not really a promotion....a FO is simply a 2d Lt who is under 21.  Once he turns 21 the promotion should be automatic, in that the individual deserved the promotion to 2d Lt but was under 21.  If the individual is not deserving of being a 2d Lt....he is also is not deserving of being a FO.

Granted if the FO is no around....then maybe a 2b for failure to perform duties should be in order....but demoting him to SMWOG is an adverse action and would require justification.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

davidsinn

Quote from: lordmonar on January 25, 2010, 06:04:00 PM

No, he reverts to SMWOG

I don't think so.  In this case it is not really a promotion....a FO is simply a 2d Lt who is under 21.  Once he turns 21 the promotion should be automatic, in that the individual deserved the promotion to 2d Lt but was under 21.  If the individual is not deserving of being a 2d Lt....he is also is not deserving of being a FO.

Granted if the FO is no around....then maybe a 2b for failure to perform duties should be in order....but demoting him to SMWOG is an adverse action and would require justification.

The system tracks him as a SMWOG the whole time until someone puts him in for 2d Lt. after his 21st birthday.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

lordmonar

Quote from: davidsinn on January 25, 2010, 06:24:57 PM

No, he reverts to SMWOG

The system tracks him as a SMWOG the whole time until someone puts him in for 2d Lt. after his 21st birthday.
That is true......one of my heart burns with the FO ranks.

davidsinn

Quote from: lordmonar on January 25, 2010, 06:37:10 PM

No, he reverts to SMWOG

That is true......one of my heart burns with the FO ranks.

It's not the grade that's the issue in this case. It's NHQ not tracking them like they track every single other grade.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

Forgot about that little nuance...

"That Others May Zoom"

JoeTomasone

That's why they are sometimes called "Forgotten Officer", "Truly Forgotten Officer", and "Seriously Forgotten Officer"...   ;D

Al Sayre

Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
GRW #2787

davidsinn

Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Al Sayre

Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
GRW #2787

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Al Sayre

Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
GRW #2787

ßτε

No, he reverts to SMWOG

The requirements for 2d Lt are different than for FO (in addition to the age requirement.) The grades to not directly transfer over unless all the TIG (or Cadet Milestone) requirements are met, and then it is still not automatic. Between the time a member turns 21 and the promotion paperwork is done, the member is SMWOG. It is not a demotion in the sense of an adverse action. They no longer are eligible for FO grades and have yet been promoted to 2d Lt.

lordmonar

On the one level....I agree...no promotion is automatic, however a FO to 2d Lt "promotion" at age 21 would be the next thing to automatic.

That is you promoted him to FO knowing that it is the equivilant to 2d Lt....you would have to have strong justifciation not to promote him as SMWOG is lower then FO it is a demotion.

Granted this is not a real problem.....and if you have reservations about promoting someone to 2d Lt then you could justifty the demotion.

As I said before....one of the many heart burns I have with the FO ranks.

Cecil DP

Quote from: lordmonar on January 26, 2010, 12:21:25 AM
On the one level....I agree...no promotion is automatic, however a FO to 2d Lt "promotion" at age 21 would be the next thing to automatic.

That is you promoted him to FO knowing that it is the equivilant to 2d Lt....you would have to have strong justifciation not to promote him as SMWOG is lower then FO it is a demotion.

Granted this is not a real problem.....and if you have reservations about promoting someone to 2d Lt then you could justifty the demotion.

As I said before....one of the many heart burns I have with the FO ranks.

The next best thing to automatic is not automatic. The key here is that if youhave  a Flight officer, you as Squadon Commander have to submit the promotion package either electronically or paper route with any supporting documentation. If you plan ahead the promotion could be done on his birthday (if electronic) and appointed to 2LT, or soon after if he is going for 1LT or Captain.  which will probably be done through the paper route, due to having provide documentation.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85