Delaying Senior Member Promotion

Started by A.Member, January 07, 2010, 05:09:34 AM

A.Member

Under what circumstances would you consider withholding or delaying the promotion of a senior member? 

Clearly if someone has not completed the minimum requirements, is not participating or is otherwise a complete non-contributor, they'd be held back.   But let's say you had a senior member that was involved in an incident that resulted in damage to CAP property (ex., perhaps a traffic accident or aircraft incident -- no injuries, only vehicle/aircraft damage), would you consider the incident/accident as part of the promotion process or is this an unrelated issue to be handled separately (ex. levy seperate sanctions for the accident/incident)?  If so, would you delay or in any other way withhold the promotion as a result?  What if the accident/incident was more serious - would that matter?  What if that same member was an otherwise "model" member (very active contributor, completed all the specified requirements, etc.)?   

How about other scenarios? 

I find that we have some of this outlined for the cadet program but we don't have them for seniors.  For ex., as it relates to cadets, 52-16 says:
Quotec. Retaining a Cadet in Grade. Commanders should retain a cadet in grade if the cadet's performance or maturity does not demonstrate an ability to accept increased responsibility commensurate with the promotion. Using the CAPF 50, Cadet Leadership Feedback, the commander (or deputy commander) will offer constructive feedback to help the cadet develop his/her leadership skills. The commander must also schedule a follow-up review to be held within 60 days.
Cadets are a slightly different situation but it's interesting to note the cadet program even goes so far as to define when the next review must be held.

Thoughts?
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Eclipse

Accidents happen.

If it was overt negligence or disobeying directives, etc., sure you could delay things.  If it was just an accident, and remediation has been done, I'd just FIMO it.

When in doubt, consult higher HQ.

"That Others May Zoom"

Cecil DP

If he was responsible for the accident, he should be held accountable. But if not, use your discretion. One tool you have is the Unit Membership Board (If you don't have a Senior Promotion Board). Put the facts before them for their recommendation, than accept their recommendation or not, as Commander its only a suggestion, and you have the final say. You should also be speaking to the member to council him on why the promotion has been delayed. 
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

sparks

. A member that habitually screws up has accidents etc. exhibits judgment issues that could be grounds for not promoting on time. Keep in mind promotions and awards are the only two methods of pay back to members for service rendered

RiverAux

While commanders have the authority to not promote someone, I don't believe our regulations and training are really sufficient to support a decision not to promote someone who has met all the requirements in the regulation.  I find this part of the duty performance promotion requirements way to vague
QuoteBe performing in an exemplary manner meriting promotion to the grade recommended.
.  Performing to grade has no meaning, especially when you take into account the various special and mission-related skills promotions. 

Until I see major reform in the special and mission-related skills promotions program, I see absolutely no reason to be extra hard on those working their way up by duty performance in the CAP system.  These folks are the ones learning the stuff we want them to learn and doing the stuff we want them to do to get promoted. 

sparks

One item that I have seen used for non promotions in the past was behavior unbecoming to the organization (CAP). Right or wrong, that was used to influence member behavior if it reflected negatively on CAP. Extreme cases could result in termination.

It's a tough nut to crack since the regulations leave a lot of room for local implementation. Approving authorities still can block promotions by just sitting on the paper work or loosing applications for people they don't like. I have seen that happen at wing and region levels.   

Eclipse

Quote from: RiverAux on January 07, 2010, 03:07:45 PM
While commanders have the authority to not promote someone, I don't believe our regulations and training are really sufficient to support a decision not to promote someone who has met all the requirements in the regulation.  I find this part of the duty performance promotion requirements way to vague
QuoteBe performing in an exemplary manner meriting promotion to the grade recommended.
.  Performing to grade has no meaning, especially when you take into account the various special and mission-related skills promotions. 

Until I see major reform in the special and mission-related skills promotions program, I see absolutely no reason to be extra hard on those working their way up by duty performance in the CAP system.  These folks are the ones learning the stuff we want them to learn and doing the stuff we want them to do to get promoted.

Non-concur.

A subjective call, for sure, but like a few other things, we might not be able to write a list of what is "exemplary", but we can all point to at least one situation where we know behavior was not, and the person exhibiting it does not deserve either reward or more responsibility (depending on how you view CAP grade).

I, for one, am glad that some wings and even regions are making an effort to move past checking the boxes and trying to bring more weight to the grade, even if its an uphill climb.  In most cases we can't "fix" past mistakes, or hold existing officers to a new standard, but we can strive to be consistent in the actions before us, even if that means those after and around us do things differently.

Bottom line, you have to be reasonable, but rewarding bad, inconsistent, or check-box behavior gets you more of the same.  The balance to this is higher HQ - either they support the idea and the way you do business or they don't.

We also can't pretend that the professional services only promote based on high-speed merit.  Any system that leaves the final signature as a subjective call will always have people who get through on a smile and a handshake.  That doesn't mean that's should be the bar.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

I don't mind having some element of subjectivity in our promotion process, however while CAP has left the door open for such decisions every other part of our senior member training and promotion program is focused on checking the boxes which indicates to me where they think the priority lies in making the promotion decision. 

Give us some criteria for what sort of level of performance they would like to see in promotions upon which to base such subjective decisions. 

If we were to take the "exemplary" criteria seriously, we would be telling commanders that if you've got 4 people eligible to promotion to 1st Lt, only one of them is probably going to be "exemplary" and should get promoted.

As indicated, we have done that in the cadet program (to some extent) and since there is actually closer correlation between rank and responsibility in the cadet program than in the senior program, it sort of works. 

As far as the original post is concerned, so long as there wasn't any element of misconduct or negligence, I'd promote him. 

Cecil DP

The best way to handle a non-promotion situation is to have a system of counseling for all members at regular intervals. In the first session sit down with the individual, go over their assigned duties, ask if they understand them, and let them know what is expected of them. Subsequent sessions can go over their progress in the assigned duty position(s), Professional Development, etc. When it comes down for promotion, you'll have an idea of what they've been assigned, how they progressed, and any unresolved issues that have to be completed prior to signing off on the promotion. In this case you would also have a counseling session after the accident investigation.   
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Eclipse

Quote from: RiverAux on January 07, 2010, 04:40:56 PM
I don't mind having some element of subjectivity in our promotion process, however while CAP has left the door open for such decisions every other part of our senior member training and promotion program is focused on checking the boxes which indicates to me where they think the priority lies in making the promotion decision. 

Completion of Specialty tracks is also the subjective call of the commander, as is the completion of the PD level.

So the two biggest weighting factors in promotions require a subjective signature (or more than one).

If the focus is on checking boxes that is a command failure and one which I believe many wings are working to fix.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: Cecil DP on January 07, 2010, 05:43:41 PM
The best way to handle a non-promotion situation is to have a system of counseling for all members at regular intervals. In the first session sit down with the individual, go over their assigned duties, ask if they understand them, and let them know what is expected of them. Subsequent sessions can go over their progress in the assigned duty position(s), Professional Development, etc. When it comes down for promotion, you'll have an idea of what they've been assigned, how they progressed, and any unresolved issues that have to be completed prior to signing off on the promotion. In this case you would also have a counseling session after the accident investigation.

I agree.

How many posts have we seen just here where people are "voluntold" they have a staff job, but have no idea what they are supposed to do?

An annual sit-down with the CC , CD, or PDO  is a must, especially for larger units where people can get lost in the crowd.
The only way people are truly happy is when they are clear on expectations, and get good feedback on performance.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

Quote from: Eclipse on January 07, 2010, 05:50:40 PM
Quote from: RiverAux on January 07, 2010, 04:40:56 PM

Completion of Specialty tracks is also the subjective call of the commander, as is the completion of the PD level.
The specialty track is the one area where I believe subjective calls can generally be made by CAP commanders in the current system.  Either the person is performing the job required of them in the track, or they are not.  Generally, a fairly easy call to make.  Though there are some units that have bunched up a bunch of "Assistants" in the more popular specialty tracks where I don't believe that any real work is being done for the most part by those Assistants.  But, that isn't a common problem, I don't think. 

Everyone should keep in mind that despite our current system, there is a strong grade pyramid.  Its not like the check box mentality has caused us all to be Lt. Cols., despite popular belief.  The system works in that there are fewer and fewer people holding the higher ranks as you go up the chain. 

lordmonar

Assuming that the system works the way it is written (which I know it does not always).

There are subjective and objective calls at each step of the process.

The Membership Board uses both objective and subjective criteria to determine if someone can even join.

The Commander decides at the personal conference if the member has gotten the intended lessons of Level I.

All promotions have a subjective aspect to them and commanders should be using that before signing off on the promotions.

The speciality tracks have both an objective and subjective aspect.

Bottom line....is that no member should ever be surprised that they did not get promoted.  Each objective step from new member to Lt Col requires the member to be mentored and trained as they progress.  If they are lacking in leadership, maturity, judgement, knowledge or skill the should be told what and how to fix the deficiency and given a time frame to fix it.

To the OP.....I don't know near enough information about the member, the accident and their responsibilities they may be assuming.

Can you hold back a promotion?  Absolutely!  If you are good leader and mentor you would no just say "NO" and ignore them.  You should provide effective feedback, good guidance on how to correct their shortfalls and work with them to help them overcome these.

I would suggest you use your chain of command or ask your peers (other commander) who may be more knowledgeable of the situation for their advice.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Lt Oliv

Promotion Boards, they are a wonderful thing.

If you don't have a promotion board, then it is up to you to be the wise and benevolent leader (try to channel some King Solomon as you go).

Think about this.

How many active members do you have who simply need to meet a basic eligibility requirement and you will eagerly promote (or recommend promotion) for them?

How many people are an outright "no" (those who never show up, have poor attitudes etc.)

Then you have this guy who, I am guessing, is probably an OK person, but  you have some sort of reservation in promoting.

You are not "delaying" promotion if the member simply is not ready for it.

What is so wrong with saying "Look, you're a great pilot, but considering you busted up our plane last week, we're just gonna wait three months before we do this promotion, otherwise it might look like we're promoting you for busting up our plane"

I really get bothered by those who thing of promotion as a form of pay. We are volunteers. We don't get paid. Period.

Rank is (however loosely) connected to leadership responsibility and professional development. If a person is lacking in either area, you are doing CAP a disservice by just checking the box.

I like being a staff officer. I have no real desire to become a commander. I would have no problem remaining a perpetual captain for that reason.

As a side bar, I would fully support requiring command experience for promotions to Major and Lt. Col. We need to reign in our ranks.

JoeTomasone

Quote from: Ollie on January 15, 2010, 11:04:09 PM

I really get bothered by those who thing of promotion as a form of pay. We are volunteers. We don't get paid. Period.

Uhoh. 

Quote from: Basic Officer Course "Grade" Module

Promotions, Decorations, and Awards are the "pay" we receive for being personally successful in CAP.

http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/Grade_091230_4D3D40FA52766.pdf

A.Member

Then you have this guy who, I am guessing, is probably an OK person, but  you have some sort of reservation in promoting.

You are not "delaying" promotion if the member simply is not ready for it.

What is so wrong with saying "Look, you're a great pilot, but considering you busted up our plane last week, we're just gonna wait three months before we do this promotion, otherwise it might look like we're promoting you for busting up our plane"
Actually, it's that's not the case at all.   In my example, I'd actually suggest the members contibution far exceeds many and I would suggest that the bent metal is an entirely separate consideration.  Were it solely my decision, the promotion would occur.  Unfortunately, politics always seems to come in to play.   It's a cultural problem within (but not unique to) this organization.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

flyboy53

Meeting TIG and training requirements does not automatically guarantee promotion. Certainly, gold-star participation makes promotions easier. Lack of participation is the reason why my unit has a 22-year-old flight officer still on the books.

Consider any promotion carefully if the person is a perpetual problem child and you know that a promotion would upset the good order of your unit. Also, remember you could be creating a future problem for your unit.

I've seen lots of people press to get promoted, create absolute havoc in both the cadet and officer corps and then are completely gone within six or seven years. In that same case, a squadron was created and folded in two years.

Eclipse

Quote from: flyboy1 on January 25, 2010, 11:54:16 AM
Meeting TIG and training requirements does not automatically guarantee promotion. Certainly, gold-star participation makes promotions easier. Lack of participation is the reason why my unit has a 22-year-old flight officer still on the books.

Um...over 21 you're no longer eligible for FO grades.

The member reverts to the equivalent regular grade.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: JoeTomasone on January 15, 2010, 11:32:51 PM

Uhoh. 

Quote from: Basic Officer Course "Grade" Module

Promotions, Decorations, and Awards are the "pay" we receive for being personally successful in CAP.

http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/Grade_091230_4D3D40FA52766.pdf

More indication the OBC should have been better vetted.

In this context, decorations, badges, PD levels, are "pay", promotions are the acknowledgement and expectation of future responsibility.

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

Slightly off topic, but related...

I senior squadron I was a member of was submitted for a Unit Citation with the following information:
80% attenance at biweekly meetings
300+ hrs flown on each of the two aircraft assigned
Both aircraft at every exercise requested, with multiple aircrews
At least one aircrew ready for dispath with 30 minutes of being called for a mission
Regular aircrew training
A o-flight pilot 'assigned' for each cadet and composite squadron we worked with
Every o-flight pilot received the o-flight pilot ribbon
Over 100 o-flights conducted (not counting 99s)
Highest number and percentage of new Yeager completions in the wing (pre-online testing)
No mishaps, accidents, or incidents during the year

This was over a one year period.

While the CAPF 120 was making its way though channels, a pilot had a mishap. The aircraft was down for eight months (and two other aircraft STILL had fewer flying hours than it in the wing for the year). The Unit Citation was refused because of the mishap that occured AFTER the period the citation was written for because the wing felt making the award would be seen as 'rewarding' the unit for damaging the aircraft.

Cecil DP

Quote from: Eclipse on January 25, 2010, 03:53:16 PM

No, he reverts to SMWOG
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Al Sayre

I've got one of those too.  If he ever shows up for another meeting I'll worry about it.  Until then, I've got too many other things to worry about...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

lordmonar

Quote from: Cecil DP on January 25, 2010, 04:33:57 PM

No, he reverts to SMWOG

I don't think so.  In this case it is not really a promotion....a FO is simply a 2d Lt who is under 21.  Once he turns 21 the promotion should be automatic, in that the individual deserved the promotion to 2d Lt but was under 21.  If the individual is not deserving of being a 2d Lt....he is also is not deserving of being a FO.

Granted if the FO is no around....then maybe a 2b for failure to perform duties should be in order....but demoting him to SMWOG is an adverse action and would require justification.

davidsinn

Quote from: lordmonar on January 25, 2010, 06:04:00 PM

No, he reverts to SMWOG

I don't think so.  In this case it is not really a promotion....a FO is simply a 2d Lt who is under 21.  Once he turns 21 the promotion should be automatic, in that the individual deserved the promotion to 2d Lt but was under 21.  If the individual is not deserving of being a 2d Lt....he is also is not deserving of being a FO.

Granted if the FO is no around....then maybe a 2b for failure to perform duties should be in order....but demoting him to SMWOG is an adverse action and would require justification.

The system tracks him as a SMWOG the whole time until someone puts him in for 2d Lt. after his 21st birthday.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

lordmonar

Quote from: davidsinn on January 25, 2010, 06:24:57 PM

No, he reverts to SMWOG

The system tracks him as a SMWOG the whole time until someone puts him in for 2d Lt. after his 21st birthday.
That is true......one of my heart burns with the FO ranks.

davidsinn

Quote from: lordmonar on January 25, 2010, 06:37:10 PM

No, he reverts to SMWOG

That is true......one of my heart burns with the FO ranks.

It's not the grade that's the issue in this case. It's NHQ not tracking them like they track every single other grade.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

Forgot about that little nuance...

"That Others May Zoom"

JoeTomasone

That's why they are sometimes called "Forgotten Officer", "Truly Forgotten Officer", and "Seriously Forgotten Officer"...   ;D

Al Sayre

Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
GRW #2787

davidsinn

Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Al Sayre

Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
GRW #2787

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Al Sayre

Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
GRW #2787

ßτε

No, he reverts to SMWOG

The requirements for 2d Lt are different than for FO (in addition to the age requirement.) The grades to not directly transfer over unless all the TIG (or Cadet Milestone) requirements are met, and then it is still not automatic. Between the time a member turns 21 and the promotion paperwork is done, the member is SMWOG. It is not a demotion in the sense of an adverse action. They no longer are eligible for FO grades and have yet been promoted to 2d Lt.

lordmonar

On the one level....I agree...no promotion is automatic, however a FO to 2d Lt "promotion" at age 21 would be the next thing to automatic.

That is you promoted him to FO knowing that it is the equivilant to 2d Lt....you would have to have strong justifciation not to promote him as SMWOG is lower then FO it is a demotion.

Granted this is not a real problem.....and if you have reservations about promoting someone to 2d Lt then you could justifty the demotion.

As I said before....one of the many heart burns I have with the FO ranks.

Cecil DP

Quote from: lordmonar on January 26, 2010, 12:21:25 AM
On the one level....I agree...no promotion is automatic, however a FO to 2d Lt "promotion" at age 21 would be the next thing to automatic.

That is you promoted him to FO knowing that it is the equivilant to 2d Lt....you would have to have strong justifciation not to promote him as SMWOG is lower then FO it is a demotion.

Granted this is not a real problem.....and if you have reservations about promoting someone to 2d Lt then you could justifty the demotion.

As I said before....one of the many heart burns I have with the FO ranks.

The next best thing to automatic is not automatic. The key here is that if youhave  a Flight officer, you as Squadon Commander have to submit the promotion package either electronically or paper route with any supporting documentation. If you plan ahead the promotion could be done on his birthday (if electronic) and appointed to 2LT, or soon after if he is going for 1LT or Captain.  which will probably be done through the paper route, due to having provide documentation.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85