Study for new CAP Senior Officer Course?

Started by 447411, November 26, 2009, 04:52:06 PM

The official word from the professional development new page of capmembers.com is:

"CAP is working on a replacement course for AFIADL-13, CAP Senior Officer Course. As of June 1, progress is going well, and we project standing up the new course, CAP Officer Basic Course, at the end of 2009."

I would appreciate any information about what I should study to get ready for this test; educated guesses are acceptable.

Thank you.

jimmydeanno

The replacement will be an online course.  So there isn't any pre-study that is required.  You go through the modules and take module tests, similar to taking a FEMA course.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Flying Pig

EMT-83

I met one of the NHQ officers working on the new course at a conference. He says that each module should take about 20 minutes to read, and then you take the test. He suggested that you could do a module every day during your lunch hour. I hadn't thought of that, but that's what I'm going to try.

ECI-13 is the only thing I need to complete Level II and Level III. I wasn't interested in taking a course that everyone said was obsolete, so I've waited for the new one. This is supposed to be on track for release in January. I plan on watching for the announcement and being the first to enroll!

Flying Pig

^That was my deal. I signed up for the ECI13, but at the time, the people running my squadron were not the most organized.  And then I started reading that they were changing the course, so I held off. Im looking forward to it.
I enjoy the CAP online courses (some of them) so this would be nice.  I need to complete it also to finish up.

Thrashed

I just got the old course materials in the mail this week.  I've been trying to get them for months.  It looks horrible.    Poor copies of copies. Maybe I'll wait too.

Save the triangle thingy

Nick

This may have already been asked, but will the new senior officer course be available for Eaker credit like ECI 13?
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

Pumbaa

Al Gore is the present VeeP?  After I read that I put the course in the trash.

lordmonar

Quote from: McLarty on November 26, 2009, 11:23:34 PM
This may have already been asked, but will the new senior officer course be available for Eaker credit like ECI 13?

I am sure that it will be.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

jimmydeanno

Quote from: McLarty on November 26, 2009, 11:23:34 PM

Yes, it will be...for now.  At least that's what the CP shop at NHQ tells me...

I would suspect it might be something up for discussion in the next re-write of 52-16...

There are very few cadets who take ECI-13 as it is now, and they lose out on the hands on leadership training offered by the in-residence courses.  But, I don't make the decision.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Airrace

Quote from: Thrash on November 26, 2009, 10:58:10 PM
I just got the old course materials in the mail this week.  I've been trying to get them for months.  It looks horrible.    Poor copies of copies. Maybe I'll wait too.

If you plan to take the exam you should start finding out where it is at. It is sent to the wing and then forwarded to your squadron. I would start asking your squadron test officer and work it's way up to the wing level. This was the part that took alot of time for me.

Good Luck

Nick

Quote from: jimmydeanno on November 27, 2009, 05:14:26 AM
There are very few cadets who take ECI-13 as it is now, and they lose out on the hands on leadership training offered by the in-residence courses.  But, I don't make the decision.
Well, I would normally agree with that, but I have a visiting cadet at my unit who is in the Texas A&M Corps of Cadets and can't get away to do an RCLS.  I think he's meeting the hands-on leadership check box. :)
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

Angus

So will the tests go live this month or early next month?

Also any idea how many modules it will be?  Is it another 4 like the old version now being phased out?
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Flint on December 01, 2009, 06:50:49 PM
So will the tests go live this month or early next month?

Also any idea how many modules it will be?  Is it another 4 like the old version now being phased out?

Next month.  Should be, IIRC, ~40 modules at about 20 minutes apiece.

Angus

How come so many? Did they break the info down that small or is it that much new information?
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

arajca

Quote from: Flint on December 01, 2009, 06:55:47 PM
How come so many? Did they break the info down that small or is it that much new information?
From what I've heard - yes.

jimmydeanno

The intent is so someone can do a module or two during a lunch break, in between shuttling kids around to sports, just before dinner, etc.  If you make it 4 modules at 4 hours a piece, the time to actually do it is harder to find.

Angus

Ok, so the 4 have been subdivided cool.  Thanks, now I know. 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Flint on December 01, 2009, 07:32:23 PM
Ok, so the 4 have been subdivided cool.  Thanks, now I know.

Sort of.  The curriculum isn't just AFIADL 00013 turned into electronic format.  The curriculum is new and pertains to current information and requirements.

Angus

Well I figured that was a given now that it's an internal course.  I'm just glad no more photocopies of something that was copied from a ditto machine.
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

High Speed Low Drag

Q - I already got my stuff for ECI 13 a few of months ago.  Can I wait and do the new course or do I have to complete the written stuff I got from AFU?
G. St. Pierre                             

"WIWAC, we marched 5 miles every meeting, uphill both ways!!"

MSG Mac

Complete the course or it will show up as a failure. Or send a withdrawel notice. I would check it with National before dropping the course, because they may not enroll you in the on-line course , if you're still enrolled in the AFIADL course.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Many thanks for all the responses to my question.  In the interim, NHQ has started enrollments:

http://www.capmembers.com/cap_university/officer_basic_course.cfm