Logistics Specality Track Information

Started by Airrace, August 05, 2009, 01:09:21 AM

Airrace

Does anyone have more information about what a Logistics officer does besides what is posted on the National Website? I am looking for something that was done for your squadron.

IceNine

Mine protects me from losing US Gov't and corporate property. As far as I'm concerned that is the only job duty there is.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Eclipse

OK, so the first thing you do is prepare your six-part file, then...can't...even...stay...awake...long...enou................

"That Others May Zoom"

CAPSGT

The Logistics Officer is intended to be a sort of a low-level manager.  A deputy to the deputy squadron commander in a way.  In a perfect world, they oversee the aircraft maintenance officer, the supply officer, and the transportation officer.  The Logistics officer should also be involved in coordinating real property (i.e. facilities) issues and coordination of material donations.

The aircraft maintenance officer (if assigned to Logistics instead of Operations) is responsible for all things related to the maintenance of corporate aircraft.  The supply officer is responsible for receiving, custody, issuing, and disposing of all equipment and uniforms assigned to the squadron.  The Transportation officer is responsible for all things related to assigned corporate vehicles (CAP DLs, Scheduling, Cleaning & Maintenance).

Of course, in many squadrons there are not enough people to fill all of those positions, and you wind up with a Logistics Officer who covers all of them.  In a squadron with no vehicle or aircraft, there is no need for a maintenance officer or a transportation officer.  In that case, there is not much point to having a Logistics Officer who essentially just supervises a supply officer.

Don't let the national model bound you though.  Many squadrons use their logistics officer to help coordinate much more, like securing locations and meals for squadron camping trips or other overnight activities.  For squadrons fortunate enough to have their own building, the logistics officer can oversee kitchen operations if the building has a kitchen.  A good logistics officer can be used to obtain outdoor cover and additional restroom facilities for a squadron building used as a mission base.

As with most any specialty, if there is a shortage of work for the logistics officer, nothing says they can't find another hat to wear at the same time.  Very few squadrons have every position filled.  Hope this helps.
MICHAEL A. CROCKETT, Lt Col, CAP
Assistant Communications Officer, Wicomico Composite Squadron

Airrace