Main Menu

Deactivating a Squadron

Started by 25orSix2Four, August 16, 2008, 02:50:43 PM

Rangercap

Quote from: LtCol057 on September 17, 2008, 11:53:30 PM
I wish my commute for meetings was only 20 minutes. My commute is about an hour and 15 minutes, depending on traffic. At least an hour. Thats 6x a month. 2 for senior meetings, 4 for cadet meetings. That doesn't include the quarterly Commanders Call (2.5 hr commute then) or the quarterly Group commanders call. I'm lucky there, only about 30 minutes.  We have members in our squadron from a 4 county area. 9 or 10 members live in same town I do.  There used to be a senior squadron here years ago, but the area didn't support it, plus they became a "flying club".  I jokingly mentioned starting a flight in this town, because of the travel, thought I was gonna have to run.  Now we're having a problem keeping the senior component going. Had 5 seniors at last night's meeting, out of 22.

So do you think that this is directly related to the quality of the program, or due to the economy, or something else? Have you talked to any one personally that hasn't been to a meeting? Does the unit have a schedule or are they just tire kickers who pay $55 a year to eat donuts and drink coffee?

I wonder how many of your people have stopped driving to meetings due to high fuel prices (well, not as bad as they were, but still high for some). Are you willing to command a unit? Sounds like you could start a new flight and decentralize. It will happen, especially when people are getting paid to do something, what they will no longer do. They basically need an incentive - what can YOU do for THEM that will equal their time?

This sounds like an oddball comparison, but being an engineer working for a number of years with wastewater treatment (I know... bear with me) but I have found the several smaller facilities can produce the same effect as one large central treatment facility. Should CAP, as a program in SOME cases, start going that way? (let's see what the masses think on this one...)

Like they say, CAP is america's best kept secret. I used to work in a restaurant, and I was amazed when I first heard 30%, yes 30%, of the operating budget went to advertising. This place was VERY successful. What does the average CAP person put into recruiting? I bet not 30% of their time.

You might do better starting a flight. Get some cadets, hit the public and charter schools, and get a few home-schoolers. it will eat time... trust me, you should see the leg work I'm doing now for recruiting... but it might pay off.

Brian
PAWG

LtCol057

Part of the decrease in the senior involvement is the economy. I realize that.  But I have 5 seniors that either I have never met, or met years ago before they quit coming.  Also, part of the problem, some of our pilots were here just for the cheaper flying.  We had 6 pilots. 1 transferred due to job. 4 others haven't kept quals current. Last one is taking a break from CAP for a couple of months.  We had a plane assigned to us by Wg, but that was taken back by Wg when pilots didn't keep quals current. I have no problem with that. Should have taken it earlier than they did. 

I just took the job as Commander in Apr when past commander walked out without notice. Right now, trying to rebuild the ES, comm, and PD depts, but not getting a lot of help from members. Told them the other night, I can't do it alone.  Got one 2nd Lt that said he'll help, but he's already doing AE, IT and Supply. Really don't want him to get burnt out. He's gotta spend time with family.  He's always 1st to meeting and last to leave.  Cadet side is holding their own, other than a few problems I'll address tonight.

Rangercap

I hear ya... sounds familiar.

For now, if you have a small squadron, I would focus on AE and the cadets. If you are running a composite squadron i.e. "by the regs" then have the seniors meet once a month. There nothing that says you have to meet weekely. If it looks encouraging, then meet more often. Get the pilots to start teaching scanenr/observer to the cadets. It will get them more involved.

I have always hated the "cheap" flying b.s. Sure, it works for some, but "you gotta pay to play" and if you have a pilot that is actually interested in teaching, or science, or comm, ask them pull double duty. It seems everyone else is.

Brian
PAWG