Main Menu

Automatic Transfer?

Started by Abby.L, October 07, 2014, 07:06:06 AM

Abby.L

Hello, all. I write with both great excitement, and great sadness. After more than 5 years of service as a cadet in CAP, I finally received my orders from the Air Force to go to basic training, going active duty on the 13th of January. As I understand that I cannot be a cadet after going active, I was wondering if CAP just automatically transfers my membership to SM, or if I have to initiate the process before/after I attend basic training? I do plan on maintaining my membership(As a member in the ghost squadron until I stop jumping around, or maybe as a more technical member who communicates through email during tech school), though I will be jumping around the country for some time.
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

The CyBorg is destroyed

You are going to be WAY too pre-occupied to concern yourself with CAP at all.

Trust me, and those others of us on CT who have been through lovely Lackland, on this one, not to mention Tech School.

Your service in CAP will help you in some ways, but don't advertise it.  It won't make you any friends, and certainly won't impress your MTI.

MTI's, I have found, treat CAP as an oddity.  A few MAY draft you to be Dorm Chief (a job that will make your flight mates hate you, as did mine, Academic Monitor) due to your "prior experience."  Others think CAP is a joke (a notorious comment in Air Force Times some time back from a newly-minted Airman said that his MTI said to "ignore" CAP members, which I find EXTREMELY unprofessional and childish on the MTI's part).  I remember mine asking if anyone in the flight had ROTC experience.  An unfortunate lad stuck his hand up and said "Sir, I have something similar, the Civil Air Patrol..." and that's as far as he got before being "answered" by the MTI:

"I DID NOT SAY CIVIL AIR PATROL!  I SAID ROTC!  I DON'T CARE ABOUT THE [farg]ING CIVIL AIR PATROL!"

(Note: I was Air National Guard and most of the people I knew at my base were supportive of CAP, as a cadet squadron met there and we used to see CAP people quite often.  We usually saluted them, even though it wasn't required.)

Right now, your focus is on BMT and Tech School.  CAP will have helped you in some ways, but you'll find that being on Active Duty in the Air Force is quite, quite different than taking part in CAP activities.

After you have settled in at your first duty station, then you might want to think about CAP again.

Best of good fortune, God bless, and make us proud!  :clap:
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

MSG Mac

Let your Squadron Commander or Personnel Officer know when you are leaving for Basic. They can fill out a Senior Member application-CAPF12 and submit it to National HQ. Before leaving make sure you complete CPPT and that you are given the advanced credit for having completed the Earhart Achievement and appointed a TFO.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

abdsp51

Hold the phone guys.  Are you going active duty, reserve or guard?  I ask because it makes a big difference. 

Cybog you really need to quit being bitter with ma blue it's not cool at all.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: MSG Mac on October 07, 2014, 12:27:37 PM
Let your Squadron Commander or Personnel Officer know when you are leaving for Basic. They can fill out a Senior Member application-CAPF12 and submit it to National HQ. Before leaving make sure you complete CPPT and that you are given the advanced credit for having completed the Earhart Achievement and appointed a TFO.

FO grades are supposed to be bestowed on active members, not roster members.

Eclipse

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on October 07, 2014, 04:47:01 PM

+1

If you're going off to military service and won't be around for a while, it'll be better for all involved to convert to
patron status and stay there until you are ready to be an active member again.

That or simply concentrate on your Air Force service and new life and worry about CAP at some time in the future
when you have a second to exhale.

Either way, best wishes.

"That Others May Zoom"

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: abdsp51 on October 07, 2014, 04:34:45 PM

"Bitter with Ma Blue?"  Because I quoted what my MTI said about CAP and what another one said in Air Force Times about CAP?

Old son, believe me when I say that you have never seen me truly bitter...and neither of those situations merits true bitterness.

There's a huge difference between being bitter and occasionally annoyed about our relationship with Ma Blue.

If I were truly bitter I wouldn't want anything to do with the Air Force...including being a member of CAP and the Air Force Association.  Nor would I keep my set of old Tony Nelson dress blues hanging in my closet as a memento of those days.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

GroundHawg

I could not disagree more. This cadet has spent the last five years of his life in CAP, countless hours dedicated to the "program", and now is volunteering to once again serve his country on active duty in the USAF. At a time of serious uncertainty in the world, with the only certainty being a deployment in his future and you don't believe he rates a FO ranking?
Seriously?

Eclipse

Quote from: GroundHawg on October 07, 2014, 09:21:18 PM

I could not disagree more. This cadet has spent the last five years of his life in CAP, countless hours dedicated to the "program", and now is volunteering to once again serve his country on active duty in the USAF. At a time of serious uncertainty in the world, with the only certainty being a deployment in his future and you don't believe he rates a FO ranking?
Seriously?

What's any of that got to do with CAP?

He's earned and received his CAP grade, from there it's "Thank you and keep your head down, we'd love to hear from you when you
get less busy."

CAP should not be promoting empty shirts, and further to this, until he's got 5-10 years in, or crosses
over into the officer corps, CAP isn't capable of promoting him commensurate with his military grade, anyway.

"That Others May Zoom"

MSG Mac

My original suggestion regarding an appointment to the grade of TFO was to recognize his attaining the Earhart Award. Knowing nothing of what his AFSC and duty assignment will be he could be active in CAP within six months. FO grades can be bridged and used to get advanced grade upon reaching the age of 21. Hopefully he will be able to find a spare weekend to complete a SLS and take OBC on his own time, and possibly be eligible for Captain in a few years.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Eclipse

Quote from: MSG Mac on October 08, 2014, 12:14:26 AM
My original suggestion regarding an appointment to the grade of TFO was to recognize his attaining the Earhart Award.

Which is fine, if he's active or when he comes back.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Reg reads that FO is for active members, otherwise you stay a SM until 21, and get your 1st Lt when you do.

GroundHawg

Quote from: MSG Mac on October 08, 2014, 12:14:26 AM
My original suggestion regarding an appointment to the grade of TFO was to recognize his attaining the Earhart Award. Knowing nothing of what his AFSC and duty assignment will be he could be active in CAP within six months. FO grades can be bridged and used to get advanced grade upon reaching the age of 21. Hopefully he will be able to find a spare weekend to complete a SLS and take OBC on his own time, and possibly be eligible for Captain in a few years.

Exactly. If he joined as some REMF support function, he can be active in CAP basically as soon as he reports to his first duty station.

abdsp51

Quote from: CyBorg on October 07, 2014, 05:07:15 PM
Quote from: abdsp51 on October 07, 2014, 04:34:45 PM

"Bitter with Ma Blue?"  Because I quoted what my MTI said about CAP and what another one said in Air Force Times about CAP?

Old son, believe me when I say that you have never seen me truly bitter...and neither of those situations merits true bitterness.

There's a huge difference between being bitter and occasionally annoyed about our relationship with Ma Blue.

If I were truly bitter I wouldn't want anything to do with the Air Force...including being a member of CAP and the Air Force Association.  Nor would I keep my set of old Tony Nelson dress blues hanging in my closet as a memento of those days.

Sir, you always use the examples and I wouldn' give anything in the AF Times much validity.  Two examples of a possible dislike which may have been taken out of context are not something I would be telling a future member of the AF especially a cadet.  If you feel the relationship with Ma blue needs fixing then maybe you need to take steps to fix it. 

Abby.L

Side arguments aside, thank you all for the replies. I was mostly just wondering if CAP would automatically change my membership to a senior member, or if I should initiate the change a short time before I go. This way, I could at least ease my transition for when I do have the time to visit and join a squadron. More of a "Oh, the paperwork's already done, and all we have to do is transfer you from squadron X to our squadron? Save you and me both the hassle, kid," kind of thing. With my tech school being more of a college type experience(Airborne Chryptolinguist, Defense Language institute in Monteray California), as far as I can gather, I was thinking that I would be able to join and help a local squadron.

And, to be completely honest, I had almost forgotten about the TFO grade. I was mostly concerned with keeping with regulation as far as my soon-to-be active duty status.  ;)
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

pierson777

The administrative process for this can be found in CAPR 39-2.  If your're joining Guard or Reserves, then you can remain as a cadet.  If your joining active military, then you must transition to senior member or terminate cadet membership.  If you don't want to remain in CAP, you can submit a CAPF 2b (don't worry, it's just a form #, not a dirty word like some people think).  If you choose to become a senior member, then you must submit a CAPF 12 with the fingerprint card and proper ID.  Your commander cannot do this for you like one of the earlier posts suggests.  If you still have time left before membership renewal, you won't need to pay any additional membership dues until your membership expires.  If you're joining active military, and want to stay in CAP without being "active", then perhaps you should become a patron member.  To do this follow the procedures in CAPR 39-2.  I think it's just the CAPF 12 with red text at the top indicating "Patron/Reserve Member".  If you choose not to remain in CAP, and you are nearing your membership renewal time, then you could simply let your membership expire.

Talk to your Deputy Commander for Cadets or Squadron Commander.  A solution should be determined that makes everyone happy. 

Also, keep quiet  about CAP and JROTC experience at basic.  You might be able to go "under the radar" and then excel at everything.  A buddy of mine managed to do this and he got selected as his classes distinguished graduate. Good luck.

Private Investigator

Quote from: Levi Lockling on October 07, 2014, 07:06:06 AM
Hello, all. I write with both great excitement, and great sadness. After more than 5 years of service as a cadet in CAP, I finally received my orders from the Air Force to go to basic training, going active duty on the 13th of January. As I understand that I cannot be a cadet after going active, I was wondering if CAP just automatically transfers my membership to SM, or if I have to initiate the process before/after I attend basic training? I do plan on maintaining my membership(As a member in the ghost squadron until I stop jumping around, or maybe as a more technical member who communicates through email during tech school), though I will be jumping around the country for some time.

Good luck and do us proud   :clap:

abdsp51

I would recommend waiting until to get to your first duty station to do a transfer.  And going to DLA you are going to be very busy especially at the start with little free time for the first few weeks.  Focus on getting through BMT and DLA and help out visit when you can. 

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: abdsp51 on October 08, 2014, 02:14:31 PM
I would recommend waiting until to get to your first duty station to do a transfer.  And going to DLA you are going to be very busy especially at the start with little free time for the first few weeks.  Focus on getting through BMT and DLA and help out visit when you can.

While that may be seen as wrong, based on the cadets status change, I support the idea. I've known at least one outstanding SM who was transferred to SM at 18, only to be discharged from basic training due to a health issue. He wasn't allowed to re-enlist, but his cadet time was cut short, while he was a very active member throughout as a FO.

Eclipse

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on October 08, 2014, 04:09:50 PM

While that may be seen as wrong, based on the cadets status change, I support the idea. I've known at least one outstanding SM who was transferred to SM at 18, only to be discharged from basic training due to a health issue. He wasn't allowed to re-enlist, but his cadet time was cut short, while he was a very active member throughout as a FO.

^ +1.  I was looking for a diplomatic way to say this.

In other words, no point in changing anything until you're sure something has changed.

"That Others May Zoom"

abdsp51

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on October 08, 2014, 04:09:50 PM

Since it wasn't specified as to which componet he was going into he may not have to switch to the senior side.  And I was refering to transferring units.  If he is going full active duty then he would have tonbecome a senior and it would be in his best intrests to wait to his first duty assignment.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: abdsp51 on October 08, 2014, 04:44:54 AM
Sir, you always use the examples and I wouldn' give anything in the AF Times much validity.  Two examples of a possible dislike which may have been taken out of context are not something I would be telling a future member of the AF especially a cadet.  If you feel the relationship with Ma blue needs fixing then maybe you need to take steps to fix it.

And here I was trying to help the cadet...perhaps you don't give the AFT much validity, but it would be in line with much (not all) of the behaviour of the lower echelons of the AF toward CAP.  Not knowing who we are, ignorance of how to treat us...if the incident were true as described it would show a lack of professionalism that does not reflect well on the MTI Corps at all. 

The other incident, well, whether you believe that or not, it happened.  I was there, and heard the MTI say what I quoted, quite loudly.  I consider it quite unprofessional of him to insult a component of the Air Force - and CAP was even more of a component back in those mists of time - to a new recruit.

I use those examples "all the time?"  Logical fallacy of hasty generalisation.  If I indeed did that, they would be in every post.

I should make the relationship with the AF better?  Certainly...if you can tell a CAP Captain living in a Wing with no active Air Force facilities, with the nearest active Air Force facility being 276.19 miles from him (I calculated via MapQuest) just how one CAP junior officer can do that, I am certainly open to suggestions.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

PHall

Quote from: CyBorg on October 09, 2014, 07:00:43 AM
Quote from: abdsp51 on October 08, 2014, 04:44:54 AM

And here I was trying to help the cadet...perhaps you don't give the AFT much validity, but it would be in line with much (not all) of the behaviour of the lower echelons of the AF toward CAP.  Not knowing who we are, ignorance of how to treat us...if the incident were true as described it would show a lack of professionalism that does not reflect well on the MTI Corps at all. 

The other incident, well, whether you believe that or not, it happened.  I was there, and heard the MTI say what I quoted, quite loudly.  I consider it quite unprofessional of him to insult a component of the Air Force - and CAP was even more of a component back in those mists of time - to a new recruit.

I use those examples "all the time?"  Logical fallacy of hasty generalisation.  If I indeed did that, they would be in every post.

I should make the relationship with the AF better?  Certainly...if you can tell a CAP Captain living in a Wing with no active Air Force facilities, with the nearest active Air Force facility being 276.19 miles from him (I calculated via MapQuest) just how one CAP junior officer can do that, I am certainly open to suggestions.

He does make a point, I can not recall a post where you have said anything good about the Air Force or even CAP in general.
You had your experience with the Air Force, in your eyes it wasn't the greatest, while other folks here on the board have had good experiences.
As others have said, YMMV.

johnnyb47

Suggestion 1: Do you have any local recruiting offices? Have recruiters come in regularly to give a speech on what the air-force offers and THEN give them a presentation on what CAP does. Tell them about the cadet program, ES, AE and how those can benefit them from a recruiting standpoint. "Got a 14 year old HS student bugging you about joining the AF? Send them our way and we will get them ready for you!" (etc)

Suggestion 2: Sponsor 1 (or more) AF family for Christmas each year. Work with someone on base to be sure their needs are met by your squadron. Looks good for your local squadron and for CAP in general. It can all be done by phone, email and USPS/UPS.

Suggestion 3: Invite local AF members (active and reserve) to any open house or recruiting event. Document the visit and get any information to the base PA section. (With permission of course)

Suggestion 4: WAA annual events at a local memorial or cemetery with proper press and attendance, granted invitations to local military members and VFW members need to be extended early, can project the professional/patriotic image that we want.

All just random thoughts in my head but you see what I'm getting at I'm sure.
It's my humble opinion that as a Captain in CAP my responsibility is at the local level. I am neither charged with nor capable of fostering good will and improving relations with the Air Force on a national level. That said there is nothing stopping me from doing whatever I can at MY level. If we all take a little time here and there, as professional volunteers, to work on relationships with the AF wherever we may be then things certainly couldn't get any WORSE... agree?

Then again... maybe I'm too much of an optimist. :)
Capt
Information Technology Officer
Communications Officer

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The CyBorg is destroyed

johnnyb47, you have provided some very good real-world examples.  However, for them to be effective at the local level, I believe that it would not - should not - involve just me, but Squadrons, even Groups.  The question would be how many of them would be willing to get on board for it, which right now I cannot answer.  Nonetheless, I thank you for being logical and reasoned in your approach and suggestions.  However, I would like you or someone else here to confirm/deny something for me.  When I first joined CAP, I was told that direct, official communication with AF personnel was not allowed by CAP regulations except through the Wing's Air Force Liason Officer - a position that does not really exist any more.  I ask that because I remember way back when I first joined, I mentioned talking to recruiters and having them come in as you said...I was told it would have to go through the LO.  However, it is a bit tough for me to do much on AFB's since, as I said, I live in a wing with no active AFB's.

PHall, I am unsure where and why you are extrapolating your assumptions.  You are quite incorrect in saying I have not said anything good about the Air Force or CAP in general.

I shall attempt to correct those assumptions.

I was in the Air National Guard.  I had to get out for medical reasons.  My unit handled it very respectfully and professionally, something I will always honour them for.  I signed on with CAP in part to continue service in support of the Air Force that I could no longer do as an actual military member.  Yes, I have been critical of the ignorance on behalf of much of the Air Force toward us, but that is as much CAP's responsibility as the Air Force's.

Perhaps you are displeased because I refuse to view everything viz. our organisational relationships through Shade 1620 coloured goggles.

I am critical of some aspects of CAP, but no more so than some other posters here.  Mostly what I have been critical of is uniform fiascoes and how CAP seems to want to have its cake and eat it too vis-a-vis the Air Force.  Many in CAP seem to want to restrict Air Force involvement with us to just funding their flying and otherwise "leave us alone, we're a volunteer organisation."

In the end, all you really need to know about my opinions of both CAP and the Air Force is this:

I am disabled, on a fixed income.  If I had the feelings about CAP and/or the AF that you seem to believe I have, there is no way under the sun I would spend the money it takes to be a member of CAP on the organisation, nor would I support the Air Force Association.

You do not have to like my opinions, nor do you have to like me (I have plenty of people who do not like either), but please do not read things into them that are not there.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

johnnyb47

When I started making calls a few years ago I looked in the regulations and found nothing that stated a CAP unit that exists off-base is required to utilize the base liaison for any communications with any AF member. That said, if I was going to make contact with someone on base that's where I would start as a matter of courtesy. For a recruiting office I would just walk in and ask what they preferred. "If you want me to coordinate with a liaison I will."
Even then it's not a guarantee that one exists, especially if there is no unit on base.
Still, there is usually a scouting liaison that enjoys getting called from time to time. :)

If I am mistaken and there exists a regulation that states all contact with the AF, for anything at any time, must go through "XX" I would appreciate being corrected.

Is it possible you are thinking of a Wing reg/supplement/MOU?

Capt
Information Technology Officer
Communications Officer

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Eclipse

Before the "Great Reduction", the stated policy of CAP-USAF was that any and all requests for military resources
were to go through the State Director, at least until a hand-off point.  In nearly all cases, an SD had to approve
the interactions and resources requests, and/or hand-hold them up the chain at CAP-USAF.

However the reality was that a number of wings didn't even have their own SD for years, and many that did
had one who was relatively disconnected and wasn't much interested in those conversations, and until the SHTF
didn't get involved.

After the "Great Reduction", there was supposed to be a volunteer (member) appointed in each wing whose
primary role was to act as military liaison (in the same role as the SDs were theoretically, before).  That went asunder,
too, and now, frankly all bets are off.

In theory a wing is supposed to go through the LRADO for these issues, but with only 8 in the whole country,
their time and attention is limited, so I would imagine, again, as long as nothing goes sideways, they'd just as
soon as be left out of it.

"That Others May Zoom"

Storm Chaser

Quote from: johnnyb47 on October 09, 2014, 04:07:19 PM

Suggestion 1: Do you have any local recruiting offices? Have recruiters come in regularly to give a speech on what the air-force offers and THEN give them a presentation on what CAP does. Tell them about the cadet program, ES, AE and how those can benefit them from a recruiting standpoint. "Got a 14 year old HS student bugging you about joining the AF? Send them our way and we will get them ready for you!" (etc)

Suggestion 2: Sponsor 1 (or more) AF family for Christmas each year. Work with someone on base to be sure their needs are met by your squadron. Looks good for your local squadron and for CAP in general. It can all be done by phone, email and USPS/UPS.

Suggestion 3: Invite local AF members (active and reserve) to any open house or recruiting event. Document the visit and get any information to the base PA section. (With permission of course)

Suggestion 4: WAA annual events at a local memorial or cemetery with proper press and attendance, granted invitations to local military members and VFW members need to be extended early, can project the professional/patriotic image that we want.

All just random thoughts in my head but you see what I'm getting at I'm sure.
It's my humble opinion that as a Captain in CAP my responsibility is at the local level. I am neither charged with nor capable of fostering good will and improving relations with the Air Force on a national level. That said there is nothing stopping me from doing whatever I can at MY level. If we all take a little time here and there, as professional volunteers, to work on relationships with the AF wherever we may be then things certainly couldn't get any WORSE... agree?

Then again... maybe I'm too much of an optimist. :)

Simplex

With all that's been said the fact remains.....you're leaving for the USAF. Good luck, God speed....if it moves salute it, if not, paint it!

bosshawk

and if you can't paint it, move it!
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Johnny Yuma

Renew as early as you can as a cadet, get a senior member membership application and fingerprint card from your personnel officer and fill them out. It should be no charge to transition but you will need the fingerprint card.

As far as Lackland: Make sure your recruiter had a copy of your Mitchell in your packet for the E3 promotion. Other than that once you get to BMT do your best to be as invisible as possible. You won't be, of course, but its best to stay off your MTI's radar. Treat the terms CAP, JROTC or Boy Scouts as dirty words unless your MTI specifically asks about them. If you're good at drill/C&C/etc. let the MTI's figure out why on their own, don't volunteer the info.

Put aside CAP through BMT, tech school and at least until you get WELL settled into your duty station. The Air Force will demand most of your time, so don't hang yourself with commitment to CAP this early into your AF career.
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Johnny Yuma on October 26, 2014, 11:15:44 PM
As far as Lackland: Make sure your recruiter had a copy of your Mitchell in your packet for the E3 promotion. Other than that once you get to BMT do your best to be as invisible as possible. You won't be, of course, but its best to stay off your MTI's radar. Treat the terms CAP, JROTC or Boy Scouts as dirty words unless your MTI specifically asks about them. If you're good at drill/C&C/etc. let the MTI's figure out why on their own, don't volunteer the info.

Put aside CAP through BMT, tech school and at least until you get WELL settled into your duty station. The Air Force will demand most of your time, so don't hang yourself with commitment to CAP this early into your AF career.

Very sound advice.  Unfortunately, with most MTI's, it simply is not possible to fly under the radar.  WIWABMT, they seemed almost like Sith Lords...knowing all, seeing all, and ready to demonstrate just how they could use that knowledge to make your life rather unpleasant.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

ColonelJack

Quote from: CyBorg on October 27, 2014, 12:48:08 AM

Very sound advice.  Unfortunately, with most MTI's, it simply is not possible to fly under the radar.  WIWABMT, they seemed almost like Sith Lords...knowing all, seeing all, and ready to demonstrate just how they could use that knowledge to make your life rather unpleasant.

And they were darned good at it, too.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Fubar

Quote from: CyBorg on October 09, 2014, 07:00:43 AMNot knowing who we are, ignorance of how to treat us...

Why on earth would anyone in the USAF who doesn't work directly with us need to know who we are? Some kid with his finger on the nuke button in a silo in ND doesn't need to know about some civilians who help the USAF locate missing aircraft and runs an unaffiliated cadet program.

They certainly don't need any education on how to "treat us" any differently than they treat any civilian. I really don't get that part of your statement.

The very few times I've talked with AD guys, I've given them the quick summary and the usual response is, "You don't get paid?" In other times where I've worked with AD guys (who usually didn't know of us until being assigned to a project with us), they've appreciated CAP's professionalism. They didn't care we were civilians, just that we got the job done and prior knowledge of us wouldn't have mattered at all.

Johnny Yuma

Quote from: CyBorg on October 27, 2014, 12:48:08 AM

Agreed, what I'm saying is its best not to be the guy saying " I was a CAP cadet" or the epic "That isn't the way I learned it in CAP..."
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Luis R. Ramos

QuoteFrom Johnny Yuma...

"That isn't the way I learned it in CAP..."

No one says they said that in training. Some have said that saying "I learned that in CAP" is not well received by the MTIs!
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

PHall

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on October 30, 2014, 01:10:47 AM
QuoteFrom Johnny Yuma...

"That isn't the way I learned it in CAP..."

No one says they said that in training. Some have said that saying "I learned that in CAP" is not well received by the MTIs!

Actually, it was very well received by my MTI.  Of course he was asking on where I learned to march.

Ended up having to help teach the "difficult children"... :(

AirAux

Cadet Lockling,  Congratulations.  With your background in CAP, you will do fine, probably better than fine.  The Air Force Academy is having a hard time filling seats and pilot seats right now.  They are looking for motivated youngsters for those seats.  If you stay on top of things, you may very well have an opportunity to apply for Academy or the Prep School at Colorado Springs.  Be aware of that and looking for it.  And the icing on the cake is that they have a very good CAP Cadet Squadron at the Academy.  Best of luck, shoot for the stars.

Flying Pig

Hello, all. I write with both great excitement, and great sadness. After more than 5 years of service as a cadet in CAP, I finally received my orders from the Air Force to go to basic training, going active duty on the 13th of January.

What job will you be doing?

Abby.L

My apologies for the break in conversation, folks. I've been rather busy.
Having read through the replies, though, I thank you all for the responses and tips.
Though, I have decided that I will remain a cadet until I actually graduate basic training, as suggested by an earlier post, and I will certainly keep my CAP history on the down-low with the MTIs. ;)
Quote from: Flying Pig on October 30, 2014, 01:50:36 PM
Hello, all. I write with both great excitement, and great sadness. After more than 5 years of service as a cadet in CAP, I finally received my orders from the Air Force to go to basic training, going active duty on the 13th of January.

What job will you be doing
I will be going in as an Airborne Cryptological Linguist. This being the job that I was going for in the first place, I am understandably excited to have gotten the slot.  ;D
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

Eclipse

Quote from: Levi Lockling on November 26, 2014, 04:23:24 AM
I will be going in as an Airborne Cryptological Linguist.

OK, being a tactical pasta chef is pretty cool, but no need to make up a fancy name.

"That Others May Zoom"

Abby.L

Quote from: Eclipse on November 26, 2014, 04:27:48 AM

OK, being a tactical pasta chef is pretty cool, but no need to make up a fancy name.
Haha, it ain't no Security Force, but it is an actual job.  ::)
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/airforceenlistedjobs/a/afjob1a8x1.htm
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

PHall

Quote from: Levi Lockling on November 26, 2014, 04:32:54 AM

Be prepared to work your butt off at DLI.  And when you go through SERE, say Hi to Igor for me! You'll understand when you get there.

Private Investigator

Quote from: PHall on November 26, 2014, 06:28:22 AM
Quote from: Levi Lockling on November 26, 2014, 04:32:54 AM

Be prepared to work your butt off at DLI.  And when you go through SERE, say Hi to Igor for me! You'll understand when you get there.

DLI is really nice. You will like it   8)

The CyBorg is destroyed

It's not.  One Airman (this was back before they were called "Trainee") in my flight mentioned something about CAP when the MTI had asked if anyone had JROTC experience and the reply was...well, it would overload the potty-language filter.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

ColonelJack

Quote from: CyBorg on November 26, 2014, 11:03:39 PM

It's not.  One Airman (this was back before they were called "Trainee") in my flight mentioned something about CAP when the MTI had asked if anyone had JROTC experience and the reply was...well, it would overload the potty-language filter.

Yet the MTIs seem to love those with JROTC training.  Wonder why there's such a disparity?

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

PHall

That's why you never volunteer the infomation that you were a CAP cadet to your MTI.
Believe me, they'll figure out by the third day that you have "advanced knowledge" and they'll ask you.

Garibaldi

When I went to Basic, the drill instructors asked who had CAP or JROTC experience. We were made squad leaders and were picked for additional duties like 2 change of command ceremonies.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

lordmonar

Quote from: PHall on November 27, 2014, 04:27:28 PM
That's why you never volunteer the infomation that you were a CAP cadet to your MTI.
Believe me, they'll figure out by the third day that you have "advanced knowledge" and they'll ask you.
in 1986 they had all off us report into the TI in the office, on at a time.  That is where he asked me about my experience (ROTC/JROTC).  Like you said...they know pretty early who has any prior experience.....also back then if you had enough prior experience you could Proficiency Advance (PA) out of basic.   Being a Mitchell Cadet was one of the gateways to PAing.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

PHall

Quote from: lordmonar on November 27, 2014, 06:19:00 PM
Quote from: PHall on November 27, 2014, 04:27:28 PM
in 1986 they had all off us report into the TI in the office, on at a time.  That is where he asked me about my experience (ROTC/JROTC).  Like you said...they know pretty early who has any prior experience.....also back then if you had enough prior experience you could Proficiency Advance (PA) out of basic.   Being a Mitchell Cadet was one of the gateways to PAing.

And I took full advantage of the PA program. Took the 17 Day written, passed. Took the 28 day written, passed and started the by-pass procedure.
Of course I spent 36 days in casual because the system "lost me". ::)

GroundHawg

Quote from: AirAux on October 30, 2014, 01:45:36 PM
Cadet Lockling,  Congratulations.  With your background in CAP, you will do fine, probably better than fine.  The Air Force Academy is having a hard time filling seats and pilot seats right now.  They are looking for motivated youngsters for those seats.  If you stay on top of things, you may very well have an opportunity to apply for Academy or the Prep School at Colorado Springs.  Be aware of that and looking for it.  And the icing on the cake is that they have a very good CAP Cadet Squadron at the Academy.  Best of luck, shoot for the stars.

One of my former cadets had a very similar scenario. He applied to all five service academies, but his one true love was West Point. He did not receive anything back positive, and enlisted. Halfway through AIT, he was pulled to go to the USMA Prep School. He is now halfway through his Jr. year.

MSG Mac

Quote from: GroundHawg on November 28, 2014, 09:31:22 AM

One of my former cadets had a very similar scenario. He applied to all five service academies, but his one true love was West Point. He did not receive anything back positive, and enlisted. Halfway through AIT, he was pulled to go to the USMA Prep School. He is now halfway through his Jr. year.
Many years ago, our squadron had a cadet accepted to West Point Prep. He failed the math course and was released. Upon his return he entered the National Guard, went to the State OCS, and was commissioned when his former classmates were entering their third class year. Retired as a Colonel.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: MSG Mac on November 28, 2014, 03:05:06 PM
Many years ago, our squadron had a cadet accepted to West Point Prep. He failed the math course and was released. Upon his return he entered the National Guard, went to the State OCS, and was commissioned when his former classmates were entering their third class year. Retired as a Colonel.

The ArNG/ANG is kind of a "best-kept secret" in following a route to a commission (or warrant in the Army).
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Private Investigator

Quote from: GroundHawg on November 28, 2014, 09:31:22 AM

I went NG after active duty USMC. Being a policeman I wanted Special Forces for my resume for SWAT. The NG offered me State OCS and I thought that would be great;  Infantry, Special Forces and a commission. The State had other plans, Logistics. Supply Officer in the rear with the gear? I do not think so. In 20/20 hindsight I should stick to decaffeinated coffee. YMMV   8) 

Johnny Yuma

Quote from: CyBorg on November 28, 2014, 10:08:42 PM

The ArNG/ANG is kind of a "best-kept secret" in following a route to a commission (or warrant in the Army).

I dunno about other states but KSARNG is BEGGING for prospective warrant candidates right now.

" Skip a bit, brother."