Saluting (by rank or grade)

Started by 16bresch, November 30, 2013, 12:11:25 AM

JeffDG

Quote from: CyBorg on December 03, 2013, 10:51:49 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on December 02, 2013, 05:03:09 AM
Quote from: CyBorg on December 02, 2013, 02:54:27 AM
I was always taught "you salute the rank/grade, not necessarily the person wearing it."

That's an entirely different barrel of worms.  >:D

A former CC of mine, who became a wing commander and then a region PD Officer, who spent a lot of time at Maxwell, said that with all the foreign military going to various schools at Max, and not knowing their ranks, he would wear his arm out saluting.

He said, "I am up on the British and Commonwealth ranks and know those fairly well, but they have Germans, French, Belgians, Japanese and what not taking courses there...I might be saluting Corporals, but at least I'm covering myself!"
Canadians are easy...pretty much the same as the US Navy with the full/half stripes.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: JeffDG on December 04, 2013, 01:17:34 AM
Canadians are easy...pretty much the same as the US Navy with the full/half stripes.

Except that the Canadian Army is going back to the pre-1968 crowns and pips.

The (renamed) RCN has its Executive Curl back.

Barring (ouch) a return to the RAF/RAAF/RNZAF/Indian AF blue-black rings, the RCAF will be the only holdover from the 1968 insignia.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Shuman 14

Quote from: CyBorg on December 03, 2013, 10:51:49 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on December 02, 2013, 05:03:09 AM
Quote from: CyBorg on December 02, 2013, 02:54:27 AM
I was always taught "you salute the rank/grade, not necessarily the person wearing it."

That's an entirely different barrel of worms.  >:D

A former CC of mine, who became a wing commander and then a region PD Officer, who spent a lot of time at Maxwell, said that with all the foreign military going to various schools at Max, and not knowing their ranks, he would wear his arm out saluting.

He said, "I am up on the British and Commonwealth ranks and know those fairly well, but they have Germans, French, Belgians, Japanese and what not taking courses there...I might be saluting Corporals, but at least I'm covering myself!"

When we had foreign students at Fort Leonard Wood we'd have them wear a fob off their left pocket with the equivalent non-subdued US rank attached to it.

It helped... a lot.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Private Investigator

Before I leave home my wife salutes me and calls me "Colonel" so that preempts me from trolling for salutes.  ;)

The CyBorg is destroyed

Sometimes when I am displeased about something, my dear wife, who outranks me in all ways, will look at me and say "don't give me that look, Captain."
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Shotgun

I just have to say this topic is somewhat timely and I've changed my opinion and practice on the matter.

I was once a person who thought it would be more appropriate to salute the CC of a unit over an officer with a higher grade.

In fact, when I transferred into a new unit as a Major, it felt awkward to walk up the Squadron CC  (a Captain) and have hm salute me before I could salute him.

But after reviewing this thread it does make a lot of sense and has both clarified and changed my take on the topic.

Wow!  I guess that means you *can* teach an old dog new tricks!

ColonelJack

Quote from: Private Investigator on December 05, 2013, 05:29:16 PM
Before I leave home my wife salutes me and calls me "Colonel" so that preempts me from trolling for salutes.  ;)

Which would be really strange if you were just a major.   ;D

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Private Investigator

Quote from: ColonelJack on December 06, 2013, 05:11:12 PM
Quote from: Private Investigator on December 05, 2013, 05:29:16 PM

Which would be really strange if you were just a major.   ;D

Jack

Oo  ;)