Saluting (by rank or grade)

Started by 16bresch, November 30, 2013, 12:11:25 AM

16bresch

Hello,

I am wondering if you salute by rank or grade? Example: my squadron commander is a second lieutenant and the deputy commander is a major, they are standing together, if I walk up to them who do I salute?

Flying Pig

You salute according to rank, not duty assignment.

lordmonar

You salute the grade.

Your squadron commander is a Capt you are a Major...the commander salutes you.

Your squadron commander is a Lt and is standing next to the Lt Col Admin Officer....you salute the senior person present (the Lt col).

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Storm Chaser

The comments above are correct. There are exceptions when reporting, in certain ceremonies/formations and when receiving an award, recognition or promotion. In those cases you would salute the presenter (usually the commander) even if you have a higher grade and/or would salute the officer you're reporting to (example, the presiding officer on a promotion board) regardless of your grade and/or that of others there.

capmaj

MacGruff

Quote from: Storm Chaser on November 30, 2013, 01:45:17 AM
The comments above are correct. There are exceptions when reporting, in certain ceremonies/formations and when receiving an award, recognition or promotion. In those cases you would salute the presenter (usually the commander) even if you have a higher grade and/or would salute the officer you're reporting to (example, the presiding officer on a promotion board) regardless of your grade and/or that of others there.

This is interesting to me and I wonder if you could clarify something I observed.

At a recent Promotion Board, there were two Senior Members who sat in on it. One was a Major, the other a 2nd Lieutenant. The senior cadet holding the board was the First Sergeant of the Squadron accompanied by another cadet who was a Sergeant Major. One of the cadets who came in for review was a C/2LT - who promptly saluted the First Sergeant on both entering and leaving.

During my military service you never saw an officer salute an enlisted grade. I asked about why he did not salute the Major present? I was told that since the First Sergeant was in charge of the board he was the Officer In Charge and therefore the honor of the salute was directed at him. It struck me as very odd. Now the same circumstance is described above. Is that correct?

Storm Chaser

Quote from: capmaj on November 30, 2013, 01:01:52 PM
^^^  Cite, please?

AFMAN 36-2203 covers several formations (including inspections and reports), where salutes are given based on positions, not grade. That same manual addresses saluting indoors when reporting. Again, you report based on position (e.g. to the commander), not grade. As for the rest, I'll let you do your own homework.

One thing to note. In most Armed Forces and Uniformed Services, duty positions are usually assigned based on grade or rank. In that case, customs and courtesies followed fit the mold of a lower ranking person saluting a higher ranking person (e.g. the commander always has a higher or similar grade than those being commanded). That's not the case in CAP, which makes customs and courtesies awkward (maybe not the word I'm looking for) at times. For example, in the Air Force my squadron commander is a Lt Col. As a Maj, it's obvious that I will be saluting him when presented with an award. Any awards he receives will be presented by his commander, a Col. In CAP, you have Capts commanding and possibly presenting awards to Majs and Lt Cols. Customs and courtesies still dictate that the recipient salute the commander presenting the award.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: MacGruff on November 30, 2013, 02:21:00 PM
Quote from: Storm Chaser on November 30, 2013, 01:45:17 AM

This is interesting to me and I wonder if you could clarify something I observed.

At a recent Promotion Board, there were two Senior Members who sat in on it. One was a Major, the other a 2nd Lieutenant. The senior cadet holding the board was the First Sergeant of the Squadron accompanied by another cadet who was a Sergeant Major. One of the cadets who came in for review was a C/2LT - who promptly saluted the First Sergeant on both entering and leaving.

During my military service you never saw an officer salute an enlisted grade. I asked about why he did not salute the Major present? I was told that since the First Sergeant was in charge of the board he was the Officer In Charge and therefore the honor of the salute was directed at him. It struck me as very odd. Now the same circumstance is described above. Is that correct?

That was incorrect. The presiding officer should've been one of the senior members, not the cadet first sergeant, especially in a promotion board in which the cadet being promoted is a cadet officer. That said, I've seen units where the cadet commander is a C/CMSgt and a recently promoted C/2d Lt is subordinate in position to this enlisted cadet commander. CAP publications don't do a good job at addressing these, but eServices does through the new cadet assignment module. For example, cadet NCOs cannot be assigned in eServices to cadet officer positions. Unfortunately, eServices is not a regulation and many units still do.

Even AFMAN 36-2203 and its corresponding CAP drill guide have flight sergeants reporting to the first sergeant. The first sergeant then reports to the squadron (cadet) commander, and after the first sergeant is posted, then the flight commanders (who are presumed to be officers) take their positions in front of their flights.

I supposed if there was a legitimate reason for a cadet officer to report to a cadet NCO, it could be appropriate (or at least acceptable) to salute the NCO (can't cite a regulation for that as I don't believe there's any), but I don't think the example provided fits that situation. Frankly, the best way to avoid this is to have cadet officers filling officer positions and cadet NCOs filling NCO positions. Unfortunately, that's not always possible because of manning and/or the speed in which cadets can promote, many times outranking each other in a matter of months.

(edited for grammar)

capmaj

That's interesting, but we are not directly governed by any AFMAN. Our Customs and Courtisies are defined withing our own pubs. Specifically, CAPP 151.

A direct quote from CAPP 151 states;

" For example, in CAP, a captain may command a squadron that includes majors and colonels as its members. An aircraft may be commanded by a captain, and crewed by two majors. Or perhaps a cadet NCO is leading a drill team that includes her cadet commander, a cadet major. Situations like these are common in CAP.

"Still, the lower ranking officer should initiate the salute."

Brad

Apples and oranges, but CAP could take a lesson from JROTC with this. With my unit at least, the highest you could advance without a staff position was Cadet Chief Petty Officer (C/MSgt equivalent). Anything higher and you had to hold some form of a staff position, be it on the command side or support side, e.g. platoon commander, supply officer, etc.

This eliminated the problem of a non-staff cadet officer reporting to a staff cadet NCO. The only time there was still a disparity of rank was with the extracurricular teams such as drill team, etc, as that was simply a skill appointment. Example, I was the Battalion XO, C/LCDR (C/Maj equivalent) and I still deferred command at drill practice to one of my Company XOs, a C/LT (C/Capt equivalent), who was the drill team commander as well.

He still saluted me though.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

Storm Chaser

Quote from: capmaj on November 30, 2013, 03:05:16 PM
That's interesting, but we are not directly governed by any AFMAN. Our Customs and Courtisies are defined withing our own pubs. Specifically, CAPP 151.

You're mostly correct about Air Force Instructions and Manuals. CAP used to have a comprehensive manual on drill and ceremonies, but not anymore. While CAP has a Drill Guide, AFMAN 36-2203 governs most drill and ceremonies within CAP, hence my example and reference provided.

Either way, CAP's customs and courtesies did not develop in a vacuum; they developed from the Air Force's customs and courtesies, especially when wearing the Air Force-style uniform. Cheers!

SARDOC

" For example, in CAP, a captain may command a squadron that includes majors and colonels as its members. An aircraft may be commanded by a captain, and crewed by two majors. Or perhaps a cadet NCO is leading a drill team that includes her cadet commander, a cadet major. Situations like these are common in CAP.

The issue is really that Pamphlets don't govern anything.  They are recommended best practices.  I would still recommend complying with the CAPP 151, but there is no requirement to do so.

Storm Chaser

Agree. No only that, you need to read it in context. That text refers to saluting outdoors, under normal circumstances. It does not address saluting when reporting in a formation or in an office or when an award is being presented.

lordmonar

Quote from: SARDOC on November 30, 2013, 05:31:04 PM

The issue is really that Pamphlets don't govern anything.  They are recommended best practices.  I would still recommend complying with the CAPP 151, but there is no requirement to do so.
That's not quite true......It is hierarchy sort of thing.....in the absence of any regulation or pamphlet then you do what you want.  If there is no reg but there is a pamphlet...do what the pamphlet says.  If there is a reg and a pamphlet and the reg says to do something different....follow the regulation.

AND of course there is always Custom.......as in unwritten rules we follow....such as saluting Medal of Honor winners.

Bottom line....you salute the grade not the rank (except in some special situations, formations, accepting awards, formal reporting to the command in his office, accepting awards, etc.)
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Phil Hirons, Jr.

I'm still trying to digest "cadet who was a Sergeant Major".

But it could be turkey...

a2capt

I was wondering when someone was going to ask about that.
Discretionary award, typo, what?

MacGruff

Quote from: a2capt on November 30, 2013, 08:13:05 PM
I was wondering when someone was going to ask about that.
Discretionary award, typo, what?

:-[

I'll blame the turkey.  Yeah! That's it!!!

:-[

C/Master Sergeant.

And the reason why the C/First Sergeant was in charge instead of a cadet officer is because the only remaining cadet officer was the one getting reviewed....

flyboy53

By grade or rank?  Wrong concept. One means time in grade or pay grade.

Actually, the key word here is "squadron commander." Any CAP or military regulation on protocol will certainly say that the junior officer salutes first if passing on a street, but the key word here is "squadron commander" and you approached him or her first. Remember that in a reporting situation you would salute first if you were reporting to the squadron commander regardless of your rank because you recognize the command title given to the individual by higher authority. Although it is correct that the junior officer salutes first, you are approaching and you must also recognize that junior individual is the appointed commander of your unit -- and is therefore accorded the appropriate respect given that position of authority or title.

Certainly, we're not in the Navy, but the traditions of the Navy are very similar to your question -- and recognized by all other services. In that situation, the captain of a ship my not be the senior ranking officer aboard the ship. He may be a lieutenant or lieutenant commander, but because he has been formally appointed the captain of the ship by a higher commissioning authority, he's addressed as captain and is in command -- which means he is accorded the appropriate respect of the title and you salute him first.

Whether this opens an apples and oranges debate or we sit in front of our computers dissecting each technicality, my advice to you is to always error on the side of caution and render the salute regardless. Let the commander accept or defer the salute as appropriate. You can't go wrong.

MIKE

I wish CAP wouldn't change the meaning of rank and grade to serve it's own purposes.  Why call it rank when you really mean seniority, and what everybody else refers to as rank in common usage, CAP calls grade.
Mike Johnston

SARDOC

Quote from: lordmonar on November 30, 2013, 07:53:57 PM
Quote from: SARDOC on November 30, 2013, 05:31:04 PM

That's not quite true......It is hierarchy sort of thing.....in the absence of any regulation or pamphlet then you do what you want.  If there is no reg but there is a pamphlet...do what the pamphlet says.  If there is a reg and a pamphlet and the reg says to do something different....follow the regulation.

AND of course there is always Custom.......as in unwritten rules we follow....such as saluting Medal of Honor winners.

Bottom line....you salute the grade not the rank (except in some special situations, formations, accepting awards, formal reporting to the command in his office, accepting awards, etc.)

We'll have to agree to disagree but the anything that is provided in a pamphlet falls under

Quote from:  CAPR5-41.i. "Pamphlets" are nondirective, informative, "how-to" type publications that may include suggested methods and techniques for implementing CAP policies.

There are pamphlets that are adopted by reference by civil air patrol regulations making them required...this is not one of those pamphlets.