Numerous Specialty tracks

Started by Airborne Medic, December 11, 2011, 01:45:21 PM

Airborne Medic

Need some wisdom from the group.  How many Level II specialty tracks can a person pursue at one time?  I believe I read in one of the regs that it was three but I can't seem to find it.  Can someone give me some assistance? 

Thanks.

ßτε

I believe that at one time there was a maximum of three. That is no longer the case.

However, I am not sure training in more than three specialty tracks at the same time is a wise choice.

coudano

I'm in favor of max 2

And the reason for that is that while you can make the letter of the law by just doing the minimum checklist, if you were /REALLY/ and *FULLY* doing those two jobs (whatever they are) you probably don't have time to do more.

You can part time several jobs at once, and that's unfortunately what happens in a lot of squadrons; and doing that you can eventually get the checklists done...

Your squadron (and probably you, too) will be better off if you prime time yourself onto one or maybe two jobs at a time.

You mastered out something, and are kind of 'done' with it? Cool, start another one if you want.  You can still be a resource for others in that thing you mastered!

Airborne Medic

I can appreciate your opinion; however, there are other circumstances.  I need definative guidence in black and white if you can provide it.

JeffDG

Quote from: Airborne Medic on December 11, 2011, 02:37:41 PM
I can appreciate your opinion; however, there are other circumstances.  I need definative guidence in black and white if you can provide it.
There is no regulatory maximum.  The only limit I can thing of is the number of specialty tracks that there are in existence at any given time.

Airborne Medic

I've already received an appointment as the Health Services officer based off of my profession.  The CAP regs state I should be knowledgeable of Emergency Services and Safety and work with those folks.  I've already completed ALL the ES 116 & 117 online exams as well as ALL  the Safety track and ORM online exams.  We have few senior members in our squadron so I want to assist in the Aerospace education so I've finished ALL those online track exams as well.  I'm pretty ADHD and have made a career out of multi-tasking and running on little sleep.  So, as I said before can anyone PLEASE give me the black and white regulation/policy that states what I'm asking for?

Eclipse

Quote from: Airborne Medic on December 11, 2011, 03:58:48 PM
I've already received an appointment as the Health Services officer based off of my profession.

Excellent.  What, specifically, do you intend to do as HSO?

Also, which pamphlet will you use to complete this rating?

Hint: This is a trick question.

The answer to the original question is that there is no limit beyond the practical reality of the service requirements in the pamphlets.
Few members can successfully do more than a couple of staff jobs.

"That Others May Zoom"

Tim Medeiros

So, as I said before can anyone PLEASE give me the black and white regulation/policy that states what I'm asking for?

It has been answered, here.

Quote from: JeffDG on December 11, 2011, 03:45:21 PM
There is no regulatory maximum.  The only limit I can thing of is the number of specialty tracks that there are in existence at any given time.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

RADIOMAN015

Hmm, also for the most part in the "real" Air Force, most enlisted and officers spend the better part of their career in one or maybe two specialties, so they really gain expertise.

I'm not sure what we gain as an organization by having a bunch of senior members "minimally" doing a volunteer job and getting the "technician" rating than just moving to another volunteer job to get just get another rating.  HOWEVER, as an exception,  I can see in units that IF you are actually doing the volunteer work in multiple specialties you should get credit and appropriate qualification.  I just don't like the idea of members doing minimal time in positions just for the sake of getting that rating, once upgrade is achieved the volunteer needs to continue to work in that specialty.  We need to capitalize on the member's gained proficiency and not just move them to another position to start training all over again.

As an example I have a Senior Rating in Communications (and continue to be the Squadron Comm Officer for about 4 1/4 years),  BUT have No Rating yet in Public Affairs even though I've been in that position 1 1/2 years (and I think I've been very successful in getting us media coverage locally).  I hope to complete the requirements for upgrade within the next 3 months or so (and got to admit I really didn't pay that much attention to the specialty training guide upgrade requirements when I started on this).   
RM

Ed Bos

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on December 11, 2011, 06:40:04 PM
Hmm, also for the most part in the "real" Air Force, most enlisted and officers spend the better part of their career in one or maybe two specialties, so they really gain expertise.

This is the CIVIL Air Patrol, not the "real" Air Force. Only a wanna-be would say something to equate the two.  8)
EDWARD A. BOS, Lt Col, CAP
Email: edward.bos(at)orwgcap.org
PCR-OR-001

Ed Bos

Quote from: Eclipse on December 11, 2011, 04:32:59 PM
I've already received an appointment as the Health Services officer based off of my profession.

Excellent.  What, specifically, do you intend to do as HSO?

Also, which pamphlet will you use to complete this rating?

Hint: This is a trick question.

The answer to the original question is that there is no limit beyond the practical reality of the service requirements in the pamphlets.
Few members can successfully do more than a couple of staff jobs.

There is not pamphlet to show how to progress as a CAP HSO, because CAP does not certify healthcare, or legal professional qualifications, they merely accept them.  The clue that indicates this to interested individuals is in CAPR 35-5, para 5-4a.

And if anyone is curious what Health Service Officers are expected and encouraged to do, they can refer to CAPR 160-1.

Back to the original question, while it's true that there is not any hard-limit to how many specialty tracks someone can hold, officers should obviously follow their commander's advice and direction in this matter.

The regulation in question if CAPR 50-17, para 4-2. It does not address a maximum number of specialty tracks, ergo there isn't one.
PCR-OR-001

Eclipse

Quote from: Ed Bos on December 11, 2011, 09:21:18 PMThere is not pamphlet to show how to progress as a CAP HSO, because CAP does not certify healthcare, or legal professional qualifications, they merely accept them.  The clue that indicates this to interested individuals is in CAPR 35-5, para 5-4a.

And if anyone is curious what Health Service Officers are expected and encouraged to do, they can refer to CAPR 160-1.

Bingo - there is no "HSO track" - you can't "complete it", because there is no criteria to use as an objective gauge.  Its very existence was in anticipation
of pamphlets and a program that never materialized.

There is also nothing in an HSO's duties that requires special training, or the skills of a medical professional or even EMT.

Anyone had a Veterinarian or Optical tech ask to be an HSO?

"That Others May Zoom"

Ed Bos

Quote from: Eclipse on December 11, 2011, 10:44:37 PM
Bingo - there is no "HSO track" - you can't "complete it", because there is no criteria to use as an objective gauge.  Its very existence was in anticipation

Here's your chance:

Show me your source of information regarding the, "anticipation of pamphlets and a program that never materialized."

I'm under the impression that this is your interpretation of a program that you don't use, so you've decided it's not useful. I'm open to learning that's not the case.
PCR-OR-001

Eclipse

Quote from: Ed Bos on December 11, 2011, 10:50:11 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on December 11, 2011, 10:44:37 PM

Here's your chance:

Show me your source of information regarding the, "anticipation of pamphlets and a program that never materialized."

I'm under the impression that this is your interpretation of a program that you don't use, so you've decided it's not useful. I'm open to learning that's not the case.

No, this is a plain fact.  Show me the pamphlets.

Those who were around when the ITO and HSO tracks were announced know that that the tracks and pins were available well before there was any criteria to award them.  ITO eventually produced at least a workable program.

There was an HSO working group that was supposed to draft the pamphlets and create the program, and that group basically spent a lot of time
arguing about how they couldn't really do anything and then to date has produced nothing public.

"That Others May Zoom"

Ed Bos

Eclipse,

The reality is that there are neither Health Service Office, nor Legal Officer pamphlets on the CAPNHQ publications list.

Pointing our the fact that ITO Officer Pamphlet has been created since the track (and badge) were introduced actually supports my case, not your insistence that there needs to be a Specialty Track Study Guide for someone to have a Specialty where they received training outside of CAP.

You neither cited any verifiable documentation, not produced any dates or data regarding this working group, so I'll just resort to your method of discussion:

You're wrong.
PCR-OR-001

Eclipse

See KB answer 1854 & 1875, updated Oct 2011, regarding work towards a specialty track for Health Services, which says exactly what I said.
The idea was approved in 2006, and to date there is still no published objective way to award the badges.

"That Others May Zoom"

Ed Bos

Quote from: Eclipse on December 11, 2011, 11:15:34 PM
See KB answer 1854 & 1875, updated Oct 2011, regarding work towards a specialty track for Health Services, which says exactly what I said.
The idea was approved in 2006, and to date there is still no published objective way to award the badges.

Excellent, I'm glad to have learned something today.

Until this track is unveiled, I don't see any reason why individuals cannot continue to participate in this track, performing the same sort of advisory and support functions that the 160-1 outlines. They just don't get a badge, because there's no way to award them.
PCR-OR-001

Airborne Medic

Gentlemen,

The following message is from COL Kay McLaughlin the CAP National HSO:

SEE FOLLOWING:

Well, just to liven things up, I actually have good news to report! We just got
the new regulation on Cadet meds approved and posted in the last 2 days, CAPR
160-2.

The R160-1 revision, being readied tor its comment period contains new chapters
on confidentiality, medical records handling and is the reference material for
new F160-1 series which includes an updated med hx form, a emergency
notification/permission to treat form, an optional physical exam form, and an
optional permission for cadet OTC med form.

The specialty track is written and the the training modules are in progress.
The PD folks would prefer that all come out at once.

In the interim, the guidance fur currently obtainin g a HS tech, senior, and
master ratings is for the unit commander to approve that the member has been
performing satisfactorily in the job for 6 mos for tech, 1 year as a technician
for Senior, and 18 months as a Senior for the Master rating. When the new
program comes on line, all will be grandfathered, but need to complete the HSO
courses on line to progress further. Hopefully all will find the courses useful
and informative in helping to apply their professional skills to CAP.

Col. (Dr.) Kay McLaughlin
Chief, Health Services

Eclipse

The reg on meds is almost a year old (dated 2 March 2011), yet the update to the KB update that says things are "coming our soon" was dated end of October.  In either case, nothing has come out.

So now we will award PD credit to people who have no special role in the unit, nor capabilities over and above anyone else with first aid training?

Excellent.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on December 12, 2011, 12:03:05 AM
The reg on meds is almost a year old (dated 2 March 2011), yet the update to the KB update that says things are "coming our soon" was dated end of October.  In either case, nothing has come out.

So now we will award PD credit to people who have no special role in the unit, nor capabilities over and above anyone else with first aid training?

Excellent.
How is this any different then any other specialty? 
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Airborne Medic

You know what dude(Eclipse), your entitled to your opinion; however, you have a very toxic and unproductive attitute that has only the purpose to provoke and inflame your peers.  Very sad really.  I've looked at some of your other posts (more than a 46 yr old man with a life probably should have but hey anyway) and you preach at everyone about how things should be and about CAP rules and policies.  Let me refer you to CAP Pam 50-2 (Core Values) #4:

Respect: CAP members come from all walks of life. Therefore, it is extremely
important that members treat each other with fairness and dignity, and work
together as a team. To do otherwise would seriously impair CAP's capability to
accomplish the mission.

So, my brother, why don't you curb your tongue, swallow some humble pie, and be a little productive and oh, what's that thing called? Ah, yes, MENTOR.  I can only hope that if you have some cadet's in your care that you aren't teaching them your style of leadership because if you are, it would be a shame.  I'm signing off now, don't bother replying for my sake because this is the last time that I will acknowledge you.

Eclipse

Wow, Lord, he really gave it to you.

"That Others May Zoom"

EMT-83

As someone who was offered (and declined) the position of HSO, and the early promotion that would have come with it, I have to agree with Eclipse.

There is no objective material available to track progress. In a standards-based organization, the entire program is somewhat of a joke.

Hardshell Clam