Main Menu

Promotion to 1st Lt

Started by 41839j, December 04, 2011, 04:25:11 AM

41839j

I became a 2nd Lt late last Feb after six months as a SM.  I do have both the Davis award and leadership ribbon.  Can I expect promotion to 1st Lt in Feb or do I need to do anything else?

Noble Six

R35-5

CAP Officer and NCO Appointments and Promotions
United States Marine Corps Retired
Earhart#13897

EMT-83

Nothing is automatic - the promotion needs to be submitted by the squadron commander.

Your CC can log into eServices and initiate the promotion. Even though it's not required, I would complete a Form 2 for your own records. You never know what might happen down the road where that piece of paper could be useful.

lordmonar

You can log into e-services to initiate the promotion.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

davidsinn

Quote from: lordmonar on December 05, 2011, 02:05:45 AM

AFAIK You can't initiate your own promotion. The system locks it out.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

ßτε

Actually, one can initiate ones own promotion, if one has Promotion Module permission, like Admin, Personnel, Commander, etc.

I have recently seen it happen. 

lordmonar

Quote from: davidsinn on December 05, 2011, 02:08:13 AM
Quote from: lordmonar on December 05, 2011, 02:05:45 AM

Yep....your right.....another stupid function of E-services

SARDOC

You can initiate your own promotion.  You just can't approve it.

lordmonar

Quote from: SARDOC on December 05, 2011, 03:10:14 AM

You can initiate your own promotion.  You just can't approve it.
The membership tab in e-services....promotions, retiremens and transferes.....I got retirement and transfere...but not promotions.

EMT-83

Is that some type of hint that you can move out but not up?  :)

SARDOC

Quote from: lordmonar on December 05, 2011, 03:22:25 AM
The membership tab in e-services....promotions, retiremens and transferes.....I got retirement and transfere...but not promotions.

I'm not sure what your access level is...I would think if you have retirements and transfers you should definitely have promotions.   Mine has all three

Tim Medeiros

The promotions side is a different module than transfers/retirements.  It can be assigned by a WSA, or removed as needed.  I've got all 3 on my end.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

flyboy53

Quote from: 41839j on December 04, 2011, 04:25:11 AM
I became a 2nd Lt late last Feb after six months as a SM.  I do have both the Davis award and leadership ribbon.  Can I expect promotion to 1st Lt in Feb or do I need to do anything else?

Consult your personnel officer. Don't forget to get a technician speciality track rating and remain active in your unit.

davedove

Quote from: flyboy1 on December 05, 2011, 11:49:18 AM
Quote from: 41839j on December 04, 2011, 04:25:11 AM

Consult your personnel officer. Don't forget to get a technician speciality track rating and remain active in your unit.

Both the Davis Award and the leadership ribbon require a Technician rating, so that's done.  But yeah, stay active in the unit.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

41839j

Yes, i do have the technician rating.  My specialty track is logiistics and as the Supply Officer, I am active in the unit and take my postion seriously.

Not particularly encouraged by the other posts.  It took three or four emails and over a month to get the Davis posted on eservices.  I kind of hate to be a pain and start requesting things again.  I will look into eservices, but am likely to just let this go for awhile.  You would think that they would want to promote and award those who have earned/deserved it.  i feel kind of foolish and superficial having to ask for it.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: 41839j on December 05, 2011, 03:58:00 PM
Yes, i do have the technician rating.  My specialty track is logiistics and as the Supply Officer, I am active in the unit and take my postion seriously.

Not particularly encouraged by the other posts.  It took three or four emails and over a month to get the Davis posted on eservices.  I kind of hate to be a pain and start requesting things again.  I will look into eservices, but am likely to just let this go for awhile.  You would think that they would want to promote and award those who have earned/deserved it.  i feel kind of foolish and superficial having to ask for it.

Your experience with getting your Davis posted is atypical. I just sent two Form 24s to NHQ for LVII and they both posted within a week.

When your commander promotes you to 1st Lt it will be instant so long as they use the eServices promotion module.

davidsinn

The Davis and all other levels, for some stupid reason, still requires actual paper be sent up. A duty performance promotion(what you're going for) only requires a few minutes in eServices. You commander is the approving authority for 1st Lt so it should take less than five minutes start to finish.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Phil Hirons, Jr.

I don't know if it has been fixed, but there used to be a glitch with 2nd and 1st Lt promotions for wing (and maybe group) staff members. The system did not understand that the unit CC for these people is the Wing CC and would make the promotion the minute anyone with access made the request. No approvals required  :D

Spaceman3750

Quote from: phirons on December 05, 2011, 04:32:47 PM
I don't know if it has been fixed, but there used to be a glitch with 2nd and 1st Lt promotions for wing (and maybe group) staff members. The system did not understand that the unit CC for these people is the Wing CC and would make the promotion the minute anyone with access made the request. No approvals required  :D

The promotions module has a lot of bugs. It insta-promoted someone to Captain in one of the nearby squadrons without the group CC approving it. It also insta-promoted a wing staff member to Lt. Col. when the wing CS input the recommendation without wing or region CC approval.

EMT-83

Quote from: davidsinn on December 05, 2011, 04:19:47 PM

The Davis and all other levels, for some stupid reason, still requires actual paper be sent up. A duty performance promotion(what you're going for) only requires a few minutes in eServices. You commander is the approving authority for 1st Lt so it should take less than five minutes start to finish.

Level 1 and Level 2 do not require "actual paper" to be sent anywhere.

Fill out the Form 11 or Form 24 respectively, save as a PDF and email to lmmeforms – no signatures required when transmitted from the correct email address.

These are done at the squadron level. If the OP is having issues, that's where the problem lies. I've never had NHQ take longer than 48 hours to process properly submitted requests.