If you ARE planning on taking SOS, do it soon

Started by AirDX, November 01, 2011, 03:50:44 AM

AirDX

This is on the SOS website:

Course 20 will close to new enrollees BEFORE the launch of a revised SOS DL course anticipated 5 July 2012. NO ONE WILL BE ENROLLED INTO COURSE 20 LATER THAN 30 JUNE 2012. Course 20 students will be graduated or disenrolled after twelve months plus one optional three month extension. NO COURSE 20 ENROLLMENT WILL EXIST PAST 30 SEPTEMBER 2012. Course 20 students who have not completed the course by this time will have to re-enroll in the new SOS DL course. Plans for the new SOS DL program include five proctored exams, several graded essays, and multiple graded discussion exercises.

Wow - the three tests were tough, and it was a lot of material to read to get ready.... but FIVE exams, essays, etc.? Sounds like a whole new level of work.
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

PHall

They're combining the coursework from SOS and ASBC into a single course. Which would explain the increased number of tests, etc...

AirDX

That's interesting, since the 2 had a completely different target group, ASBC for 2LTs and SOS for captains on the way to major. 

Change is constant!
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

coudano

I was mildly disappointed to find that online SOS students didn't do some of the papers and exercises.
I mean don't get me wrong, I spent that time that I would have done those things elsewise,
but it felt like I was missing part of the course.  oh well.

jimmydeanno

ASBC was a waste.  It was nothing but a repeat of everything learned at Field Training, or at the Academy.  Canceling it isn't going to cause any real heartburn, and will redirect the cash somewhere where it would actually be useful.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

PHall

Quote from: jimmydeanno on November 02, 2011, 02:04:53 AM
ASBC was a waste.  It was nothing but a repeat of everything learned at Field Training, or at the Academy.  Canceling it isn't going to cause any real heartburn, and will redirect the cash somewhere where it would actually be useful.

The theory was that ASBC would give all new officers a common base, no matter which commissioning source they went through.

Reality proved it wasn't needed.   I'm actually surprised they actually decided to do something.

disamuel

I just took the first exam today. I passed, but it was a squeaker. I'm going to study harder for Unit Two.

My criticism is that while there is a ton of reading the test didn't cover many of the reading items. There was one long reading section that only had one question.

Oh, well. Two more tests and I am done with this.

SAR-EMT1

Just wish my promotion to Captain had come through when I was first eligible for it five years ago. I could have already finished SOS and been done with it... Now I'm not even eligible for it as I don't have a BS/ BA. :(
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

noodles

Quote from: jimmydeanno on November 02, 2011, 02:04:53 AM

Truth.  The new, longer in-residence SOS begins this month. Hurry up and get those 3 tests done so you can check the box with the least amount of pain.

capmaj

There's always the option of attending an RSC.

SAR-EMT1

C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

KT

what Air Force pilots think of SOS in residence CAUTION LANGUAGE Dos Gringos - S.O.S.

Warning language - MIKE

PHall

Quote from: KT on January 03, 2012, 06:06:05 PM
what Air Force pilots think of SOS in residence CAUTION LANGUAGE Dos Gringos - S.O.S.

Warning language - MIKE

+1   :clap:

And let's not forget the Enlisted Version. NCO Academy... :o

SAR-EMT1

C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328