Level II and the Davis award

Started by 41839j, October 18, 2011, 08:30:33 PM

41839j

Recently completed all the requirements for Level II.  This includes a technician rating in my specialty track, SLS school as well as Officer Basic.  All these prerequistes are complete, but no mention as to the Davis award or completeing level II.  Is there something else I need to do?

Eclipse

Your PDO or commander needs to submit a Form 24 to NHQ.

http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/F024_6686050099324.pdf

If you haven't already, you should take the AESPM (Yeager) online before you submit the 24 you'll get a special seal on the certificate.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

By the way, the Leadership (Benjamin O. Davis) Award is awarded upon completion of a (first) specialty track, not Level II. There is no ribbon for Level II.

ßτε

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on October 18, 2011, 10:30:56 PM
By the way, the Leadership (Benjamin O. Davis) Award ribbon is awarded upon completion of a (first) specialty track, not Level II. There is no ribbon for the Benjamin O. Davis  Award, awarded for completion of Level II.

I made a few corrections.

Eclipse

The certificate has been renamed and now has his photo on it...

(This one has the AEPSM seal on it)

See 50-17
4-7. Benjamin O. Davis Jr. Award. Completion of Level II results in the award of the Benjamin O. Davis Jr. Award. Upon completion of all Level II training requirements, the unit's PDO records the data on the member's CAPF 45. Additionally, the unit PDO completes CAPF 24, item 8; afterwards, the unit commander signs the form, retains a copy, and forwards the original to NHQ/DP. When approved, NHQ/DP mails the Benjamin O. Davis Jr. Award certificate to the unit for subsequent presentation to the recipient by the unit commander.

http://www.capmembers.com/cap_university/pd_awards/benjamin_o_davis_jr_award.cfm

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

Yup, my bad. That's what I get for trying to be smart...

41839j

Very good, Thank you sirs.

I do already have the Yeager so that is not an issue.  Since the technician rating is already posted in eservices, I may now purchase the leadership ribbon and the base level device (emblem) for wear on my uniform--correct?

SARDOC

Quote from: 41839j on October 19, 2011, 02:40:47 PM

I do already have the Yeager so that is not an issue.  Since the technician rating is already posted in eservices, I may now purchase the leadership ribbon and the base level device (emblem) for wear on my uniform--correct?

It's not automatic.  Your Squadron Commander needs to authorize it with a CAPF2a and it needs to be put into your record.

lordmonar

Quote from: SARDOC on October 19, 2011, 02:43:17 PM

It's not automatic.  Your Squadron Commander needs to authorize it with a CAPF2a and it needs to be put into your record.
No.

When he approves your Tech Rateing....he awards the ribbon....no need for extra paper work.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

41839j

HMMMMM, glad we are all clear on this.  I thought the form CAPF2a was the approval.  Thanks anyway, I sincerely appreciate the help.  I wouldn't think that wearing the ribbon at this point would be a big deal with anyone.  I will let you know if I am wrong.

EMT-83

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on October 18, 2011, 10:30:56 PM
By the way, the Leadership (Benjamin O. Davis) Award is awarded upon completion of a (first) specialty track, not Level II. There is no ribbon for Level II.

Nope.

Leadership Ribbon is issued upon completion of technician rating.

Davis Award is issued upon completion of Level 2.

SARDOC

Quote from: lordmonar on October 19, 2011, 03:35:02 PM

No.

When he approves your Tech Rateing....he awards the ribbon....no need for extra paper work.

From CAPR 50-17

Quote4-3. Leadership Award Ribbon.  Successful completion of the technician level of the specialty
track makes the member eligible for the CAP Leadership Award ribbon.  (CAP also authorizes
the Bronze Star attachment to the ribbon for completion of the senior rating, and the Silver Star
for completion of the master rating.)  Request authorization for wear of the ribbon on the CAPF
2a.  Include in Block VII the name of the award, date unit commander approved technician
rating, and the specialty track number.  The unit PDO signs the requester signature block.  The
unit commander has approval authority, and files in the member's unit record.  The member may
then purchase the ribbon from Vanguard.

JeffDG

Unlike the other levels, Level 2 does not have a ribbon IIRC.

SARDOC

Quote from: JeffDG on October 28, 2011, 12:35:35 PM
Unlike the other levels, Level 2 does not have a ribbon IIRC.

That is Correct.  There  is no ribbon for level 2.  There is a ribbon for the Technician rating which you must have in order to get level 2 though.  Many people confuse the requirements.

Eclipse

Quote from: SARDOC on October 28, 2011, 12:07:36 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on October 19, 2011, 03:35:02 PM

No.

From CAPR 50-17

Quote4-3. Leadership Award Ribbon.  Successful completion of the technician level of the specialty
track makes the member eligible for the CAP Leadership Award ribbon.  (CAP also authorizes
the Bronze Star attachment to the ribbon for completion of the senior rating, and the Silver Star
for completion of the master rating.)  Request authorization for wear of the ribbon on the CAPF
2a.  Include in Block VII the name of the award, date unit commander approved technician
rating, and the specialty track number.  The unit PDO signs the requester signature block.  The
unit commander has approval authority, and files in the member's unit record.  The member may
then purchase the ribbon from Vanguard.

You're technically correct, but it's a waste of paper no one needs to see.  Heck, we still have people doing transfers on
hardcopy 2a's, and requiring Form 2's for duty promotions, that doesn't mean it serves much purpose.

The only requirement for the leadership ribbon is the tech rating, ergo it is "self-actualizing", just like encampments,
red service, membership, etc.  Absent a 2a in the member's file, anyone questioning their award would simply go into
eServices and look to see their tech rating and move on.

This is another place we need to update the administrative expectations and create a list of decs that don't require
any "approval" beyond the requirements.  Their is no subjectivity to this award whatsoever, so the CC isn't "approving"
anything.

"That Others May Zoom"

SARDOC

Quote from: Eclipse on October 28, 2011, 01:52:14 PM
You're technically correct, but it's a waste of paper no one needs to see.  Heck, we still have people doing transfers on
hardcopy 2a's, and requiring Form 2's for duty promotions, that doesn't mean it serves much purpose.

The only requirement for the leadership ribbon is the tech rating, ergo it is "self-actualizing", just like encampments,
red service, membership, etc.  Absent a 2a in the member's file, anyone questioning their award would simply go into
eServices and look to see their tech rating and move on.

This is another place we need to update the administrative expectations and create a list of decs that don't require
any "approval" beyond the requirements.  Their is no subjectivity to this award whatsoever, so the CC isn't "approving"
anything.

That's the thing about being "Technically Correct"  also known as just being "correct"   It is an item specified in the regulations...Which everything in the regulations is "Technically Correct" even when there are such gross horrible inconsistencies.   I agree that it is really dumb with where we have progressed with electronic Record keeping to require paper or electronic Paperwork.  Doesn't change the fact that it is still required.  There are a lot of things in the regulations that need updating and this is one of them.   We don't just get to change policy or disregard regulations because we disagree with them.  You send your recommended correction up the chain of command to be implemented into the policy of regulation.  Until then you still have to comply...even if it's dumb.