Main Menu

Disappearing members?

Started by AirAux, May 29, 2010, 09:59:13 PM

AirAux

While recently checking the squadron membership in e-services. I was surprised to see that a senior member and her cadet had disappeared from the roster.  I had received no transfer request.  In a state of panic, I wondered what I had said to run them off.  Finally, my admin person discovered under some status that they had bounced a check..  I guess National terminated them.. While this is all well and good, at least a courtesy e-mail to me (the CO) would have been nice.  I might have been able to intervene, especially since I was aware that they were having some financial problems..  Oh well, I forgot, they aren't here to serve or help us, we are here to serve them.. My bad.. Has anyone else had such pleasant surprises??

RobertAmphibian

At the end of the day, it's not National's job to help you renew members. It's not that big a deal...your members can just renew their memberships.

Eclipse

Why the attitude?  They don't pay, they aren't members - NHQ would have no way of knowing about their "financial problems".

If you were that concerned you should have handheld the situation when they popped on the expiration report.

Beside, its not that big a deal, as soon as they pay, however that happens, they will be reinstated.

"That Others May Zoom"

AirAux

Geeeshh, it's always a good idea to read before responding to a post.  It had nothing to do with renewals.  The whole point was that there was no notice, nada,, no expiration report.  They only joined two months ago and now they are off of the membership roster.  The point being, National owes Commanders some respect in these matters..  Some form of notice that something is going on.

Майор Хаткевич

If they have financial troubles, why are they paying for CAP membership/associated costs?

Eclipse

Quote from: AirAux on May 29, 2010, 11:44:09 PM
Geeeshh, it's always a good idea to read before responding to a post.  It had nothing to do with renewals.  The whole point was that there was no notice, nada,, no expiration report.  They only joined two months ago and now they are off of the membership roster.  The point being, National owes Commanders some respect in these matters..  Some form of notice that something is going on.

OK - now you're going in circles - how would members who joined two months ago bounce a check for renewal?

"That Others May Zoom"

AirAux

Okay, now you got me going in circles.  I believe the check they bounced was probably their original membership check.  How did I mislead you otherwise??  Sorry if I did.

Eclipse

Quote from: AirAux on May 29, 2010, 09:59:13 PM
While recently checking the squadron membership in e-services. I was surprised to see that a senior member and her cadet had disappeared from the roster. 

If they were on the roster, then their initial check didn't bounce, at least not two months later...

"That Others May Zoom"

shorning

Quote from: Eclipse on May 30, 2010, 01:53:08 AM
Quote from: AirAux on May 29, 2010, 09:59:13 PM
While recently checking the squadron membership in e-services. I was surprised to see that a senior member and her cadet had disappeared from the roster. 

If they were on the roster, then their initial check didn't bounce, at least not two months later...

Or...it did and they didn't fix it.  No pay, no membership.  Plus, (and I'm too lazy to look it up) it used to be the case that writing a bad check to NHQ was cause for termination.  Kinda sounds like a double whammy...

Slim

Had this happen a time or two.  When it did, I always got a notice/letter from national, outlining the problem and ways to fix it.  They also included the membership application and the check.  IIRC, there was a 60 day window to make the check good or NHQ would terminate the membership.  Of course, this was before NHQ became so dependent on eServices and such.

Does your unit mail go to your home, a PO box, or another member?  Is your unit address listed correctly on a CAPF 27?  It's possible that the notice could have gone to someone else, and it wasn't passed along.  It's been my experience that the folks at NHQ have been more than willing to work with members and their commander when this happens.

Slim

Eclipse

Quote from: shorning on May 30, 2010, 01:54:57 AM...it used to be the case that writing a bad check to NHQ was cause for termination.

Certainly grounds for suspension BTDT once or twice with encampment checks made of rubber.

"That Others May Zoom"

Major Carrales

I, actually under the previous commander's watch) once had a member that they "bounced" out of the unit.  He joined a while back...like decades before...and was "flagged."  I had no way of knowing since all but one member of the unit were gone (more likely expired than retired) from that era.

They dropped him from the roster with no notice or explanation, it took over a month to find out why.

"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Cecil DP

Generally a notice is sent to the member, denoting why their membership was denied, and how to correct the problem.
CAPR 35-3  Grounds for automatic termination of membership  Section B (4) Payment of any kind made by bad check to National
Headquarters if such check is not redeemed within 60 days of proper notification.
Your members had 2 months to correct the problem and didn't.

Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

a2capt

Basically, a note to the CC and PDO, as applicable that the member has dropped. Which I can't see why that wouldn't be something that can be automated, with a reason/result code if not a verbal comment from NHQ added to the notice as they probably make some comment in the database anyway.

At least if it's not a simple expiration drop, because in theory there, those folks should be on top of their membership and know whos coming up for renewal.

Johnny Yuma

In this day and age of email alerts from NHQ one would think that a courtesy email to the unit CC for handling might work a bit better than snail mail that might get there in the 60 day time frame.
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Johnny Yuma on May 31, 2010, 04:58:52 AM
In this day and age of email alerts from NHQ one would think that a courtesy email to the unit CC for handling might work a bit better than snail mail that might get there in the 60 day time frame.

Snail Mail gets there in 5-10 day time frame, usually under 5.

jeders

Interesting, I had a member join about a year ago (when I was CC) and paid one dollar short. I was cc'd on an email to that person from National with the problem and several remedies. It was all taken care of in short order, and he showed up on the roster a day or two later.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

a2capt

Heh, and we've gotten the whole kit and kaboodle back with a Post-It(tm) Note that says it's a $1.00 short ...

Can't win.

..and due to the amount of stuff in the envelope, it was the dollar range of postage, too.