USAF appears to be quietly transitioning to OCP stateside...

Started by Eclipse, July 23, 2017, 06:49:31 PM

etodd

Camo is still just so non-sensical for ground team members, or any CAP member for that matter. Our folks should NOT be hiding in the forest. We are not in combat. We should stick out like a sore thumb in bright orange shirts. LOL
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

SarDragon

Quote from: etodd on May 09, 2018, 09:59:57 PM
Camo is still just so non-sensical for ground team members, or any CAP member for that matter. Our folks should NOT be hiding in the forest. We are not in combat. We should stick out like a sore thumb in bright orange shirts. LOL

CAWG has been trying to do that for years, and it keeps getting shot down up the chain.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

etodd

Quote from: SarDragon on May 09, 2018, 10:52:50 PM

CAWG has been trying to do that for years, and it keeps getting shot down up the chain.

Where "up the chain"?  CAP hdqrs, or in AF levels?

SarDragon

Apparently, both. Way below my pay grade.

Do a search for orange shirt. there are 150+ posts with one or both words. That should give you some insight on the whys, whens and hows.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Well considering that you're supposed to be wearing an orange vest when you're out on a Ground Team mission.
What good would an orange shirt do?

etodd

Quote from: PHall on May 10, 2018, 12:41:04 AM

Well considering that you're supposed to be wearing an orange vest when you're out on a Ground Team mission.

Skirting the point.  Ground team members or any other CAP members have no real world need for camo of any kind. Its never made sense from day one. (Other than some free hand-me-downs from the AF I suppose)

Luis R. Ramos

We did not hear any issue when CAP was wearing the OG uniforms...

"Why the OGs?" "Why not more visibility...?"

We did not hear any issue when CAP was wearing the Khakis during WWII...

Why now with the camos? Again, it is not that we want to hide, but connection with the military.

Remember not all our activities are in forests.

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

PHall

Quote from: etodd on May 10, 2018, 12:58:58 AM
Quote from: PHall on May 10, 2018, 12:41:04 AM

Skirting the point.  Ground team members or any other CAP members have no real world need for camo of any kind. Its never made sense from day one. (Other than some free hand-me-downs from the AF I suppose)

You're about 40 years late to this party. Because this was the exact same argument that was used when we went to the BDU's in the 80's.
You can see how well it worked...

etodd

Quote from: PHall on May 10, 2018, 01:15:05 AM

You're about 40 years late to this party. Because this was the exact same argument that was used when we went to the BDU's in the 80's.
You can see how well it worked...

Yep.  Doesn't affect me either way, since I don't wear it. It just amuses me, trying to decipher the "why" of it.

LSThiker

Quote from: SarDragon on May 09, 2018, 11:59:46 PM
Apparently, both. Way below my pay grade.

Do a search for orange shirt. there are 150+ posts with one or both words. That should give you some insight on the whys, whens and hows.

California wing is not the only wing to try this.  TXWG has done this recently as well:
https://www.txwgcap.org/documents/2013/12/cap-uniform-manual.pdf/
Quote1-5d (added). Texas Wing Advanced Ground Team Uniform.  The Texas Wing Advanced Ground Team Uniform is an orange shirt with blue BDUs.  It may be worn with or without the Texas Wing ES Baseball Cap.

They also have an entire curriculum set up for AGT:
https://www.txwgcap.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/f06a7af0298c65341b8f925142153ce8.pdf

Do not know if this is still in use in TXWG or if it has gotten smashed by the new WG/CC

LSThiker

I_Am_Twigs

I personally think that we wear camo to spark interest in others. I remember going to my first meeting and seeing everyone in BDUs, I thought "man, I bet I'd look good one a pair of those." (I actually look somewhat odd with them). I ended up joining for the uniforms, I later found out that it wasn't worth it. So I became a "floater" I guess you could say, then I has I matured a bit I saw the opportunity that I had. I could go through CAP and experience things that I wouldn't have anywhere else, and now it's given me a higher chance of getting my dream job.
Bottom line: Uniforms (especially camo uniforms) makes people think about joining. Granted not everyone is going to go down the same path as me but there are the few that might have a similar experience waiting for them
Anyway this was just my cheesy thoughts  :P

Thank you, this has been ramble and scramble with Chief Twigs
C/Maj, CAP
"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." --Winston Churchill

sardak

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on May 10, 2018, 01:05:05 AM

California and Colorado Wings were wearing orange shirts during the OG days.

Arizona Wing has orange polos and T's, with reflective striping. Long sleeve shirts, too, but I couldn't find pictures.

Mike

PHall

Quote from: sardak on May 10, 2018, 05:00:21 AM
Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on May 10, 2018, 01:05:05 AM

California and Colorado Wings were wearing orange shirts during the OG days.

Arizona Wing has orange polos and T's, with reflective striping. Long sleeve shirts, too, but I couldn't find pictures.

Mike

Now, are those Arizona Wing shirts authorized? I couldn't find a NHQ Approved Supplement on the National Headquarters page and publications are in the members only section of the Arizona Wing Web Page. And they're not authorized in the CAPM 39-1.

Jester

Quote from: LSThiker on May 10, 2018, 03:18:05 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on May 08, 2018, 04:37:14 PM

Is the USAF now going to be doing combat patches? 

Quote from: Eclipse on May 09, 2018, 05:38:17 PM

And left shoulder squadron/group/wing/command patches?

I've seen group/wing on the left and squadron on the right.

LSThiker

Quote from: sardak on May 10, 2018, 05:00:21 AM

Mike

I like this for SAREXs and real missions.  Senior members wear an orange polo with wing patch for ground and FL work.  Members could wear either BDU/ABU/CFU pants so that way members would only need to purchase the polo shirt.  Looks more inline with other SAR groups that I have seen/worked with. 

But then again, I would be happy if Senior Members just did away with BDUs/ABUs and just wore the polo (keep the associated USAF-style and corporate dress uniforms though).  The cadets could continue to wear the BDUs/ABUs due to the military cadet program connection.  Until then, I still have a pair of BBDUs in my closet for SAREXs.     >:D

LSThiker

Quote from: Jester on May 10, 2018, 12:22:18 PM

Interesting. 

Well when CAP goes to OCPs in 10 years, at least cadets will be able to play "swap" the NCSA patch game.  Start the meeting wearing NESA patch and end wearing the NBB patch or some variation thereof.  Or perhaps we will have wing patches on the left shoulder and squadron patches on the right and no NCSA patches (doubt that though).  Or they will have to choose between Squadron patch and NCSA patch (most likely).  We will see in 10 or so years, I guess.

kwe1009

Quote from: LSThiker on May 10, 2018, 02:01:31 PM
Quote from: Jester on May 10, 2018, 12:22:18 PM

Interesting. 

Well when CAP goes to OCPs in 10 years, at least cadets will be able to play "swap" the NCSA patch game.  Start the meeting wearing NESA patch and end wearing the NBB patch or some variation thereof.  Or perhaps we will have wing patches on the left shoulder and squadron patches on the right and no NCSA patches (doubt that though).  Or they will have to choose between Squadron patch and NCSA patch (most likely).  We will see in 10 or so years, I guess.

It might be sooner that that.  If the USAF goes to OCP this year I doubt there is enough ABUs to last CAP 10 years unless you count the crappier versions that VG sells.

Eclipse

There will be a surge in the Fall and early next year of ABUs that are not much use to CAP
because of size, wear, or stripe-mark issues.

After that, it's going to be the same retail channels as the CFU and camo BDU.

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

Quote from: PHall on May 10, 2018, 05:13:06 AM

^^^ Comfortable and very practical. Great way to go for Seniors.  Agree with the other poster in regards to Cadets who might be thinking of a military career. Cadets are wholly different.